Something better

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
kylecycler

Re: Something better

Post by kylecycler »

LollyKat wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:Instead of using those horrible bungy cords to feebly hold the bags at the base of the rack I've deployed 8mm thick quick release cable ties.

Where did you get the QR cable ties? I'm looking for some but google only seems to throw up the velcro kind which I don't want.

Just found these on Amazon - 300 x 8mm, black, £9.19 for 100, free delivery. Good reviews too. I got a pack out of Aldi but they're not reusable, or as long or as thick. These would be a lot more useful, right enough.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Relea ... NBW03Q28K5
pwa

Post by pwa »

Crepello

that looks very neat. Time well spent in the garage.

Positioning lights at the back is often problematic. It is one of the main reasons my two main bikes have permanently attached pannier racks. Without a rack, any baggage obscures lights on the seat post, and I don't like lights wobbling around on a bag. I have tries seat stay locations but a central position seems better. So a rack it is.

Your solution looks ideal for a bike with a small / medium sized wedge type bag.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Quick release cable ties...... see ebay 361052128354

I got 100 for 99p to the door recently, 1 holds my mini pump on it's bracket - just in case it falls off and gets lost 20 miles from home like happened last year! Gave one to a friend, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the other 98 eventually!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
These have lots of uses, Safety strap for pumps etc. Velcro Cable Strap.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... p&_sacat=0

Edited - I find plain ones work fine, the stirrup type probably not necessary.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

pwa wrote:Crepello

that looks very neat. Time well spent in the garage.

Positioning lights at the back is often problematic. It is one of the main reasons my two main bikes have permanently attached pannier racks. Without a rack, any baggage obscures lights on the seat post, and I don't like lights wobbling around on a bag. I have tries seat stay locations but a central position seems better. So a rack it is.

Your solution looks ideal for a bike with a small / medium sized wedge type bag.
Thanks pwa. Have you considered mounting a light on a saddlebag rack? It gives good visibility and can be firmly fixed. The one below again utilises the the moulded elbow part of the light's bracket, attached to the rack with a P clip.
P1000832.jpg
P1000833.jpg

fastpedaller wrote:Quick release cable ties...... see ebay 361052128354

I got 100 for 99p to the door recently, 1 holds my mini pump on it's bracket - just in case it falls off and gets lost 20 miles from home like happened last year! Gave one to a friend, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the other 98 eventually!
Good find. I've used them on occasion to hold a frame pump at the front.
P1000836_edited-1.jpg

The pump above also uses a piece of inner tube stretched around the flared lip of the handle to stop it vibrating against the frame, although on this bike the brake cable routing pushes the pump far out enough that it doesn't rattle.

I did have a (Zefal) frame fit pump fitted to the seat stay pop off a bike once. Consequently I cut/filed the tabs at the base of the pump to fit the dropouts exactly, making the contact points deeper. The result of which is that the pump has never popped out again - even on the roughest of tracks.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

CREPELLO wrote:
I did have a (Zefal) frame fit pump fitted to the seat stay pop off a bike once. Consequently I cut/filed the tabs at the base of the pump to fit the dropouts exactly, making the contact points deeper. The result of which is that the pump has never popped out again - even on the roughest of tracks.

I've done that on all my HPX's :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:

I've done that on all my HPX's :)

Me too :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Whatever happened to road bike HP pumps that fit in the frame :?:
I still use safety straps to save it just in case.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thought I'd mention my overlong front mudguards,which means using a rear m/guard on the front,and if you have lowrider mid fork bosses doing nothing provides a stable fitting in front of the fork if a stay bracket is riveted to the front end of the m/guard, a photo's worth a thousand words:-
Same mod on my Genesis Longitude:-

The mod stops most over spill off the front edge of the front m/guard which helps protect shins and knees and keep the front of the bike cleaner.
Though you'll need an extra rear m/guard.
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The lines of the front guard on the Kona Dew look particularly neat. Is there any reason why you decided to attach the main stays to the front dropouts on the Longtitude, rather than the mid fork, as the Dew?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

CREPELLO wrote:The lines of the front guard on the Kona Dew look particularly neat. Is there any reason why you decided to attach the main stays to the front dropouts on the Longtitude, rather than the mid fork, as the Dew?

The disc caliper on the GL is a TRP Spyke and doesn't stick as much as the BB7 on the KDD,so the main stays only need a small spacer of around 10mm to clear it.
I fitted the KDD out the same as the GL initially but it needed a spacer of approx 35 to 40mm to clear the caliper and was very vulnerable to breakage so changed the anchor point to the mid fork point.Both my Vaya's are the same as the KDD for the same reason.
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Not so much 'something better' than 'something necessary'. I bought the wrong rear light, but decided to make it work for my needs. It was a PDW Radbot 1000...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... sacat=7294 ...and I needed to fit it to the rear mudguard. I wanted it to be an upgrade on the PDW Fenderbot. Foolishly, I didn't read the description and the pictures gave the appearance of it being just another fender mounted light. Wrong :? - it comes with a bracket for a rack or a rubber strap mount for a seatpost.

So, could it be made to mount on a mudguard without to much jiggery bodgery? Well the hard plastic part of rubber strap mount is basically a plate that curves to fit the mudguard profile.
P1020076.jpg

There is enough meat to this plate that two c5mm holes can be drilled 20mm apart to match that of the SKS stay bridge, which it bolts to with a couple of 10mm M5 SS button head screws. I trimmed down the bracket a bit to make it more symmetrical and remove the hooks that are part of the old strap arrangement. I also trimmed down the finger release tab (that allows removal of the light), to make the light more semi permanent, although it still needs to be removed to access the batteries.
P1020084.jpg
P1020085.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Neat :)
Though I have to say it looks vulnerable :?
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

reohn2 wrote:Neat :)
Though I have to say it looks vulnerable :?
Thanks R2. Yes, it must stick out another 3/4" over the existing LED/reflector Fenderbot. It is fairly light ( :lol: :roll: ), so as long as bike isn't doing silly tricks like hanging from a railway carriage hook, I'm confident it will last. I could mould a big wodge of black Milliput around the base of the bracket to give it some belt and braces :)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

reohn2 wrote:This is a thread where we can offer/advise/discuss something you've made better either by modification or made/built from scratch anything that has been an improvement on the original either on the bike itself or associated with it,such as accessories or clothing etc.
Over to you...............
Just a reminder really. This thread hasn't really been picked up and run with and yet it could prove a rich resource, if there are a few more contributions. So come on folks, give us your handy fixes and improvements, all things cycle. :)