Something better

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Something better

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
"reohn2" Granted, mine is a front guard with an extension.
I will try your trick before next outing.
Without nowt on the front the spray gives your ankles a nice cool wash :lol:

I am surprised we dont have more mods from the guys n girls, considering how long the post has been going :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:If you look closely at the photo of the m/guard mod,you'll see a mudflap that extends down to within 5mm of the deck....

I didn't spot that first time round... :oops: and assumed it was a work in progress....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rbreid

Post by rbreid »

003 (250x188).jpg
003 (250x188).jpg (29.47 KiB) Viewed 1588 times

004 (250x188).jpg
004 (250x188).jpg (20.17 KiB) Viewed 1588 times

Charity shop, fashion leather belt 4" wide, £1
15 mins work and hey presto.
How much do brooks charge for them?
If you wish to give me a resentment, prepare yourself for a disappointment.
Combative, pedantic, bigoted or confrontational posts will be ignored as detrimental to civilised debate.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Modded head light, plastic pill bottle cap cut out carfully to give dipped beam so not to dazzle others, a good firm fit but I added some mastic to stop it coming off easy.
Some foam pads for protecting furniture cut to size ans superglued on to headband mounted battery box.
Better snug and comfortable fit.

Would a bit of tape over the lens work?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Dave W wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Modded head light, plastic pill bottle cap cut out carfully to give dipped beam so not to dazzle others, a good firm fit but I added some mastic to stop it coming off easy.
Some foam pads for protecting furniture cut to size ans superglued on to headband mounted battery box.
Better snug and comfortable fit.

Would a bit of tape over the lens work?

I have not actually used it on the road yet but nights coming in so soon.
I am still playing with it, I dont need the top half of the lamp to shine and want to stay cutios to others so the mod.
I am toying with a opaque cover, but dont want to cut any of the light from the road.
We really need dipped cycle lamps.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

String! From the local garden nursery. Biodegradable jute. I HATE electrical tape. Hippy days :D Clicky for larger pic
Attachments
MGL-Twining-BarsS.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Moodyman1 wrote:Overshoes. I wear size 12 MTB SPD shoes and could not find overshoes big enough, so I bought a pair two sizes small and wear them as under shoes - ie between the socks and shoes. Keeps the feet toasty and they last longer as the don't wear out on the Tarmac.

This only works if you have room in your shoes - I purposely bought a shoe size too big to allow me to wear two pair socks in winter. Best advice I received when I was buying them.

Scuba diving neoprene socks from local diving store. 4mm 'cold water' variety.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Ayesha wrote:
Moodyman1 wrote:Overshoes. I wear size 12 MTB SPD shoes and could not find overshoes big enough, so I bought a pair two sizes small and wear them as under shoes - ie between the socks and shoes. Keeps the feet toasty and they last longer as the don't wear out on the Tarmac.

This only works if you have room in your shoes - I purposely bought a shoe size too big to allow me to wear two pair socks in winter. Best advice I received when I was buying them.

Scuba diving neoprene socks from local diving store. 4mm 'cold water' variety.

Got me thinking about wearing some of these under sandals or larger versions of my tevas... Hmmm (referring to my onesie thread). Ta.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

A while back I bought some SJS pannier bags off ebay very cheaply for regular town duties... http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-h ... prod11550/
Alas, they were as loose as a loose flappy thing hanging off a bike could be and I've been spoilt by having proper rigid panniers that grip like limpets. So having nothing to lose I've modified them to stay put, rather than wanting to take off and do a fast runner when I'm not looking.

I've stiffened them in four ways...
P1000740.jpg
I've re-riveted the hooks at a wider spacing as the original is just too narrow. I used 9mm head rivets and 25mm penny washers at the back to ensure they don't pull through.

P1000744.jpg
Inside, the backing board has been siffened by the addition of some correx plastic board, fixed by the hook rivets and an extra two at the bottom corners.
In addition I've cut some old sleeping mat to fit on the base of the bags. I've also added some more of this inside the rear pannier pockets. Apart from helping to shape the bags, it will reduce wear to the fabric of the bags.

P1000743.jpg
Instead of using those horrible bungy cords to feebly hold the bags at the base of the rack I've deployed 8mm thick quick release cable ties. I had to cut the plastic D loops away from their mid bag position, so that they sat at the bottom of the nylon strapping. By threading the QR tie through the D loop and around the hook section of the steel tubed Minoura carrier, the cable tie is pulled tight and everything becomes very solid.

P1000739.jpg

Bearing in mind that there are no QR catches at the top of the bag to fiddle with, the cable ties are pretty easy to release and attach (just a few clicks to slacken and remove). To the casual observer it won't be obvious how to remove the panniers. This makes the bags a good semi permanent fixture that I have no anxiety about leaving on the bike in town.

They are an excellent size pannier for town use, each easily taking a full carrier bag of shopping. I reckon they are also much bigger than the SJS stated size of 25 litre (I also think they could be lighter than the 1150g stated weight). The rear pockets are ideal for storing a collection of carrier bags for shopping and a mini D lock.

Oh, I also replaced the draw cords around the gaiter tops with elastic cords which are just easier to manage - the top can now easily be stretched open when the cord cinched as semi closed.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've just done my first inner-tube-handlebar-tape-underlay. I cannot believe the result. In fact, I was so pleased with the first layer (i.e. the inner tube) that I nearly left it at that. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic. It really takes cycling to a new level of luxury. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:I've just done my first inner-tube-handlebar-tape-underlay. I cannot believe the result. In fact, I was so pleased with the first layer (i.e. the inner tube) that I nearly left it at that. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic. It really takes cycling to a new level of luxury. :D

Have you tried neoprene,cut from an old worn out pair of overshoes?
If cut the 'right' way they're shaped to the curve of the tops of dropbars.
Taped in place and bar tape over the top.I'm trialling some ATM but it's not as comfortable as Fizik gel pads,perhaps doubled up it may be better.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

CREPELLO wrote:Instead of using those horrible bungy cords to feebly hold the bags at the base of the rack I've deployed 8mm thick quick release cable ties.

Where did you get the QR cable ties? I'm looking for some but google only seems to throw up the velcro kind which I don't want.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

CREPELLO wrote:A while back I bought some SJS pannier bags off ebay very cheaply for regular town duties... http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-h ... prod11550/

I did the same with the same intentions, I'm embarrassed to say that 2+ years on I've never used them :oops:

I'm just so used to the cavernous and easy fit of my Alturas that the SJS pair never get a look in.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

LollyKat wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:Instead of using those horrible bungy cords to feebly hold the bags at the base of the rack I've deployed 8mm thick quick release cable ties.

Where did you get the QR cable ties? I'm looking for some but google only seems to throw up the velcro kind which I don't want.
Sorry. I got them off ebay a couple of years ago and I've lost the purchase history. But I did try entering 'quick relaese cable ties' and got various types displayed, although nothing identical. There were some beefy yellow/red ties up there. A bit expensive, but they were 13.5mm wide, so very durable I'd imagine.

Trigger wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:A while back I bought some SJS pannier bags off ebay very cheaply for regular town duties... http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-h ... prod11550/

I did the same with the same intentions, I'm embarrassed to say that 2+ years on I've never used them :oops:

I'm just so used to the cavernous and easy fit of my Alturas that the SJS pair never get a look in.
They are a bit flaky out of the bag, so to speak :roll: . I just decided that having bought them for £9, I could make them usable for not much more. I'm impressed with the capacity though, considering the small size that SJS advertise them as.

Edit: I now recall buying my first QR ties from SJS. They sell them at 20p each, which is a little expensive, although not a huge outlay if you only want a few. I have found a supplier that sells a large range, including, I think, the ties sold buy SJS. http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Conne ... Releasable
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Not sure if this has been done before, at least I've not come across it. It's the application of a wire front fork lamp bracket (B&M) at the rear brake bridge for an LED rear light. The end result is very solid and rather neat I think.
P1000830a.jpg
P1000831a.jpg

This would probably work with any rear lamp that has a 90 degree section where the screw goes through, the original bracket being redundant now. I used a longer B&M wire bracket for best clearance over the mudguard. The main difficulty I had was getting the lamp central. I could either have the elbow section on the inside or outside of the bracket. I opted to close the bracket up a bit to the width of the black Tubus spacer that sits between the two sides of the bracket - the lamp is centred now. I also had to remove a small bit of plastic around the screw hole.

EDIT: I should add that this lamp position is particularly useful for when using a saddlebag, at least it gives good visibility in conjunction with a Barley on a 58cm frame. Smaller frames or very large saddlebags may need a different lamp position.