Hydraulic interrupter brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mill4six

Hydraulic interrupter brakes

Post by mill4six »

In Europe, mostly Germany and Switzerland recently I was fascinated by some of the touring setups I saw. In particular one bike had a very high rise steerer protruding through the stem that clamped his flat bars, continuing on upwards to a second stem that was used to mount some clip on tri bars at around chin height! What caught my eye was the brake set up. Hydraulic Magura rim brakes operated by levers on the ends of the tri bars and by levers on the flats, the two sets of levers being joined by a length of hydraulic tubing so that either could activate the brakes. I'm familiar with cable operated cross top levers but this would be a great set up if there was a drop bar sti version. Want!!!!
Brucey

Re: Hydraulic interrupter brakes

Post by Brucey »

this is easy enough to do, you just need the right 'plumbing' parts to fit a second MC, e.g. T pieces or longer banjo bolts. Obviously it will only work with a 'closed' brake system; a brake with an 'open' MC design is a non-starter.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zac

Post by zac »

Hi this is for Brucey or anyone else with knowledge of hydraulics..

I have just got an ebay bargain of a bike that comes with Shimano BR-RS685 hydraulic disc brakes- its a pinnacle arkose 4.

Im really used to having interruptor brakes on my all round touring/commuting bike and have had them on every bike i have built so far ( a series of steel tourers).

I really like the hydraulic brakes a lot after a quick try- responsive and fun. but am wondering whether to sell them while they are still 'new' and buy cable discs brakes (eg trp spyre/avid bb7) so that i can get interruptor brakes. I think i might miss iterruptors as they are a big part of my riding style.

So my question is whether it is possible/advisable to rig up hydraulic interruptor brakes with this shimano system? (Brucey I didnt really understand your response to the OP by the way- I am a hydraulics neophite)

cheers

zac
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I am prepared to be contradicted here, but I don't think you can fit interrupters to this brake system.

You can read about the joys of setting these brakes up in the DM techdoc which you can download from shimano's website. A delightful little read, only 77 pages long... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

What you could do though is go for Hope V-twins. Then you can run short cables through the levers to a master cylinder mounted under the stem.

In theory if you have a closed system you should be able to just tee connect the two lines from the brake levers together and it will work.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Using the hybrid hydro's like the TRP or those on eBay is perfectly feasible with interuptors. Modify you new ones would a nightmare or impossible as there are, I think, an open system.
Should you decide to sell your hydro's give me first shout