Specialized AWOL gravel grinder off road tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bicycler

Re: Specialized AWOL gravel grinder off road tourer

Post by Bicycler »

Some people say it with an 'i' like some people say Wigin rather than Wigan. I've also heard enough people round here refer to the River Darwen as the "River Darren" :o
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

teebee1986 wrote:
Just bombing your thread sorry,

Interesting, TT bars on a tourer, something to think about assuming this is for a change in position, thoughts?
They're common on US audax type bikes, for comfort as much as aerodynamics, because of the propensity for using very long straight roads for distance, with not much up nor down.
Last edited by CREPELLO on 13 Jun 2014, 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It's the Darwin side of Darwin Moor

I'm guessing you actually mean Darwen? OT My late FiL used to work in Darwen & the office would occasionally get much delayed post that had accidentally done the round trip to Darwin! :shock:

Living where we do in Horwich we have had the odd item of mail do the somewhat shorter "scenic" route via Norwich! :roll:

Rick.

:oops: I was in a bit of a rush when I posted that this morning and it's been bugging me all day that might have spelt it wrong :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
teebee1986

Post by teebee1986 »

CREPELLO wrote:
teebee1986 wrote:

Interesting, TT bars on a tourer, something to think about assuming this is for a change in position, thoughts?
They're common on US audax type bikes, for comfort more than aerodynamics, because of the propensity for using very long straight roads for distance, with not much up nor down.

Sounds good, may try it out would be a good aid I guess on them 100 milers.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Bicycler wrote:Some people say it with an 'i' like some people say Wigin rather than Wigan. I've also heard enough people round here refer to the River Darwen as the "River Darren" :o

Those pie eaters do talk funny...

RickH wrote:Living where we do in Horwich we have had the odd item of mail do the somewhat shorter "scenic" route via Norwich! :roll:

Rick.

Having lived in Norwich, I had to double take the 1st time I saw Horwich on the train departures board at Manc Piccadilly, never having heard of it.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

teebee1986 wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:
teebee1986 wrote:

They're common on US audax type bikes, for comfort more than aerodynamics, because of the propensity for using very long straight roads for distance, with not much up nor down.

Tyler from Going Slowly.com used them on their semi-RTW- http://goingslowly.com/

That guy's Pink Floyd bag doesn't look like it would stay very steady when riding. Seems to just be dangling by it's straps. But he be so kewel, why would he care? :wink: (Do his arms remind you of telephone doodle-pads too? :? His chest a desk blotter...).
teebee1986

Post by teebee1986 »

mrjemm wrote:
teebee1986 wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:[quote="teebee1986"]

Tyler from Going Slowly.com used them on their semi-RTW- http://goingslowly.com/

That guy's Pink Floyd bag doesn't look like it would stay very steady when riding. Seems to just be dangling by it's straps. But he be so kewel, why would he care? :wink: (Do his arms remind you of telephone doodle-pads too? :? His chest a desk blotter...).[/quote]

Yeah I'm a bit young for pink Floyd and wouldn't like the idea of the bag, rather a carradice would be more suitable haha, that setup is an accident waiting to happen.

The TT bars also I have to admit I like weird bike setup's too, its just my thing, everyone I cycle with either has hydraulic discs and super carbon bikes, I have a steel bike with canti's and just love it.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

All the nonsense talked about those bikes sets my teeth on edge, too.
However, if you look at the photo, you will see the bag also has a strap round the headtube.

Its a pretty impressive ride those guys did, which means they are pretty impressive cyclists, and I doubt they would have used anything which didn't work.
However, I imagine various other people did the same ride on all sorts of different bikes.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

reohn2 wrote:markjohnobrien
What clinched the deal for you?

BB7 discs.
Large tyre clearances.
Good spec level - tubus racks.
I could testride first.
No Surly shops nearby to testride.
Brixton Bikes did have some but long distance to travel and they didnt have the model(s) I was interested in available for test - i.e, Straggler and Ogre.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

BrianP wrote:Good to have a forum member who actually owns and rides an AWOl.

Just a question on tyre pressures. Going up from 32c on say a Galaxy, to 42c should mean a lower tyre pressure will work and will provide a softer ride. Going up to 4.8" on my Moony ends up below 10psi! I ride 2.4" MTB tyres at 20 psi.

Would be very interested if you also find this the case.

Brian

Good point - I have lowered the tyre pressure slightly but I have to be careful as I am very heavy and can carry a lot of extra weight in 4 panniers. I say this because, in the past, I have been wary of causing splits in the side wall.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

BrianP wrote:Good to have a forum member who actually owns and rides an AWOl.

Just a question on tyre pressures. Going up from 32c on say a Galaxy, to 42c should mean a lower tyre pressure will work and will provide a softer ride. Going up to 4.8" on my Moony ends up below 10psi! I ride 2.4" MTB tyres at 20 psi.

Would be very interested if you also find this the case.

Brian

Good point - I have lowered the tyre pressure slightly but I have to be careful as I am very heavy and can carry a lot of extra weight in 4 panniers. I say this because, in the past, I have been wary of causing splits in the side wall.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

pioneer wrote:markjohnobrien, that's a lot of changes (and cost) for a new bike. Granted, you won't do them all at once but it'll bump the overall price up somewhat.

Not really: I already have a stock of Giles Berthoud saddles; I already have 2 x marathon supreme tyres; I already have a stock of XT 9 speed rear mechs for my fleet; the rear cassette can be changed when it wears out. So, not that much extra spend as I stock up on special offers now and again.

I've always had Brooks but have had a B17 splay out and go all hammocky so I have bought some Berthoud saddles for £60 each rather than the £130 rrp. Good choice so far.
ianaiken

Post by ianaiken »

I'm running 70 psi in my marathons I shoukd probably reduce it a bit my back wheel doesn't look too healthy anymore
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

markjohnobrien wrote:
reohn2 wrote:markjohnobrien
What clinched the deal for you?

BB7 discs.
Large tyre clearances.
Good spec level - tubus racks.
I could testride first.
No Surly shops nearby to testride.
Brixton Bikes did have some but long distance to travel and they didnt have the model(s) I was interested in available for test - i.e, Straggler and Ogre.

I can thoroughly understand that,and if you liked the bike when you rode it's got to clinch the deal IMO :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ianaiken wrote:I'm running 70 psi in my marathons I shoukd probably reduce it a bit my back wheel doesn't look too healthy anymore

What kind of all up weight are we talking about?
FWIW,with an all up weight of 173kg(153 crew 20kg bike and day bag)we run a 35mm tyre on the rear of the tandem @85psi and a 32mm(due to clearances)on the front @85psi.Tyres roll well at these pressures and only become uncomfortable without any other gains with more air in them, without any sidewall issues and we rarely experience punctures.
W H Auden