Specialized AWOL gravel grinder off road tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Specialized AWOL gravel grinder off road tourer

Post by Brucey »

niggle wrote:Or is it about the strength? Stonger steel can be made thinner and therefore lighter of course....

up to a point...but the strength and toughness of a bike frame is normally limited by the post weld/post braze strength of the tubing next to the joints. Although the tube manufacturers make much of the pre-braze/pre weld strength values, they don't shout as much about the post-joining values, or if they do, they sometimes even fudge the data.

Fudge the data? Yes, definitely. If you drop hardness indents in once every 1mm or so you can make a pretty graph but you are liable to miss the narrow regions of hardness that can and do exist in low heat input weldments. Worse still the HAZ can have regions of low toughness in it as well.

So if you see a hardness plot across a (single pass) weld and there is no horizontal axis marked (or there is, but there are not many data points), be suspicious. A pretty sure sign that something is screwy is when the peak hardness and/or minimum hardness values on one side of the weld seem different to the other side; unless there is a good reason for it to be otherwise, they should be the same.

Similarly if you see a hardness plot for a brazed joint, it needs to extend as far as the HAZ does, which can be several inches. Again the data can be fudged, this time by omission.

Weld hardness is a good guide to strength but an unreliable indicator of toughness.

Furthermore most of the steels used in bike frames are sensitive to cooling rate; you can get substantial variations in post-weld strength and toughness with variations in cooling rate.

So I'm not saying 'don't believe the hype' but I am saying 'take it with a pinch of salt'....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:errr.... 'cause it is worth more when you come to sell the bike...? :wink:

cheers

Ah! I see,I'll take that as a 'no difference really,just that people sometimes live in a rose tinted bygone era when Reynolds were a UK company that others emulated and copied' :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well kind of. Despite my comments re Niggle's suggestion about strength, there maybe something rather than nothing to be gained there.

But regarding the Reynolds name, the difference between CrMo, 520 and 525 in the same gauges is just who made it and what they called it. No real difference otherwise I think.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Re' the chainset being road biased - because they had shed loads of them sitting on the shelves I expect.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

They trying to grab my attention with that orangeness... It ain't going to work I tell yer!

(Apart from anything else, I'm a little distracted by a (blue) boat right now, hence my quietness of late. :roll: ).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:They trying to grab my attention with that orangeness... It ain't going to work I tell yer!

You tell 'em

(Apart from anything else, I'm a little distracted by a (blue) boat right now, hence my quietness of late. :roll: ).

Blue is a very distracting colour :roll:

PS,what kind of boat?
FWIW I've been thinking about buying a canoe :D see here:- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90015
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

A sailing boat!

We thought about canoes some time ago, and ended up with kayaks due to ease of use and so on. Used mine on the lakes recently, but the water bug hit me hard- a lifelong thing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I saw my first AWOL (a charcoal one)today someone touring,two rear panniers and a bar bag,so if it was you near Rainford Lancashire we passed you(in the car) :)
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

BrianP wrote:Blog of a chap riding across America on an AWOL

http://instagram.com/pedallingforpints

http://instagram.com/p/rktNLsFOh1/?modal=true

Brilliant shots!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

He has written a review of AWOL after 4500 of travelling.

http://pedallingforpints.com/post/10003 ... wol-deluxe
Paul0975

Post by Paul0975 »

Hi,

Does anyone know who manufactures the mudguards for the AWOL Deluxe please?

I should add I do have the Deluxe with the guards fitted, but I want to add a second support to the front guard, hence wanting the original manufacturer so I can buy one.

They are great as they are for the vast majority of the riding I do, but I would like the second support for when things get really rough to stop it getting the shakes.

Or if anyone has taken their guards off and wont be wanting them on again, and wants to swap them for some beer tokens... message me!
Last edited by Paul0975 on 6 Dec 2014, 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Just in case anyone is interested it looks like its back in for 2015, with prices up as well
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Well, after lusting after the AWOL for almost a full year and saving hard (aka selling my old Campag roadie gear on eBay) I've finally got one off eBay with a claimed 30 miles on the clock. Two very short rides thus far with no problems and the high handlebar position suits my ageing inflexible carcass but I can easily ride on the drops!
Last edited by Spinners on 28 May 2015, 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Richy67

Post by Richy67 »

Lusting is indeed the word. Mine is arriving on Tuesday, May 5th. Haven't been able to sleep with excitement :D