Mysterious transmission creak - can't locate - need help!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NewHorizon

Mysterious transmission creak - can't locate - need help!

Post by NewHorizon »

I've got a transmission problem on my Dawes Horizon which is driving me to distraction; basically I'm getting what's best described as a short sharp snap or creak sound intermittently, usually, but not always, after freewheeling and as I start to pedal again, sometimes, but not always, accompanied by what feels like the chain slipping and/or ghost shifting. I'm not pedalling hard when this happens, in fact I don't recall it happening when I am pedalling hard (not that I do often!). I have replaced the cassette, chain and chainwheels in an effort to eliminate it to no effect, if anything it seems to be slightly worse. The bottom bracket is an XT about 4000 miles old, the rear wheel a Shimano C201, 7000 miles old. Is the freehub failing? I know my way around bikes reasonably wheel but this has me stumped. Any pearls of wisdom?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'd take a guess at the pawls inside the free hub they seem to crack into place,I have an XT rear hub that does it occasionally and on one of the tandems we have an Edco hub that does it quite loud which when it first did it made me jump so much I thought we'd broken a spoke,if I didn't have friends who also have the same hub put my mind at rest by telling me that it was common Edco's I don't know what I would have done.
You could try squirting some spray grease or oil into the freehub body but it will have to get into the internal working parts of the body itself to be any use.
Alternatively a new freehub body may do the trick.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I had an intruiging/worrying creak recently from my own transmission (or so I thought), only whilst pedaling under slight to heavy pressure.

Did the usual of lubing everything - no change, stripping pedals, cranks, chaingrings, freewheel, hub, etc - no change.

Finally noticed that one of the rear mudguard stays was in slight contact with the bottom of the strut from the rear carrier, near the point where both meet the rear dropout in separate eyelets.

Bent it a few mils away - problem solved.

I have no idea why this was leading to a transmission noise in the first place but I'm glad it's gone.
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

:cry: I've had some creaking noises recently with a Shimano Alivio crank it seems to be that the left had crank keeps loosening and the square taper has eaten into the crank until there is nowhere to go. Anew better quality crank was fitted this morning. Fingers crossed. The crank had done some 2000 since January when it was new. Colin
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

I've got a new freehub which I'm going to fit at the weekend; will report back whether or not it solves the problem.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

Pleased to report that I've replaced the freehub with a new one and taken the bike for a 25 mile shakedown today and, praise be, no more noise! Not a job I've done brfore but it wasn't too bad. Spent a little time puzzling how to remove the hollow bolt from the freehub once it was away from the wheel; the dust cap was close to the ball bearings which in turn were holding the bolt in place. Looking at the replacement, the dust cap was nearer the face so I drifted the old cap away from the ball bearings and way to go. While I was at it I replaced the ball bearings both sides (and the front hub), no idea how long they last but while its all in pieces figured it was the right thing to do. Likewise, couldn't be doing with the faff of trying to resurrect the old one for the sake of £15. Always satisfying to be able to do these things oneself, thanks for the input.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Glad to hear everything is sorted :D