Fit question stretched out on the hoods

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mark1978

Fit question stretched out on the hoods

Post by Mark1978 »

The main reason being that when my saddle was too high I had problems with my knees but my back was grand. As soon as my saddle was dropped my back problems started I stuck with it for 2 months before the back pain got the better of me and I put the seat back up. Since then it's come back gradually.

As it is my back is still hurting so I don't want to try anything until it feels better.

I don't want a fitter to verify my position. What would be the point in that?
samsbike

Re: Fit question stretched out on the hoods

Post by samsbike »

Mark1978 wrote:The main reason being that when my saddle was too high I had problems with my knees but my back was grand. As soon as my saddle was dropped my back problems started I stuck with it for 2 months before the back pain got the better of me and I put the seat back up. Since then it's come back gradually.

As it is my back is still hurting so I don't want to try anything until it feels better.

I don't want a fitter to verify my position. What would be the point in that?

I have the same issue right now and I have moved my seat very slightly back to compensate for the height drop.

Its a dull ache I get on the commute and for the weekend. If it works will let you know tomorrow and perhaps its worth a try.

Also have you got any insoles or adjustments inside your shoes? I am experimenting with a valgus tilt thing and it seems to be working. Shoulder still aches like [rude word removed] though. :D

Just to update, having the saddle back helped as did a slight tilt upwards (so basically half a turn of an allen key - 180 degrees).
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

Pretty much every roadie I pass has their hands on the top. Should have bought a hybrid.
'Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?'
'Germans'?
'Forget it, he's rolling.'
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

A good reason to have n+1. The different bike will allow you observe differences in fit and posture, provided the 2nd bike isn't too similar to the first. In fact, a 2nd bike is good for all sorts of practical reasons. Honestly :wink:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

CREPELLO wrote:A good reason to have n+1. The different bike will allow you observe differences in fit and posture, provided the 2nd bike isn't too similar to the first. In fact, a 2nd bike is good for all sorts of practical reasons. Honestly :wink:

LMAO yeah I'm with you if only it were that simple ;)
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Hi, Mark.

I've followed this thread intermittently. Apologies if this has already been discussed, but have you considered going to see a chiropractor? If you have seen one what was the outcome?

A chiropractor might not help you with your bike fit, but they could suggest stretches and other light exercises to help you find the structure you feel is lacking in the YouTube videos. Plus it will be cheaper for a few sessions than the price of a bike fit!

Best wishes.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Been a while, waiting for the back to get better (it did) and then the weather.

Recap; in my fit the saddle was lowered which was causing me issues so I put it back up. Then I also tried shortening my stem from 80mm to 75mm to see if that would help - it didn't.

Measured my bike up yesterday morning with reference to the numbers the fitter gave me. Surprisingly the saddle was spot on! Given that I now have 5mm shorter cranks it could even go up a little but I decided to leave it unchanged.

The reach measurement was a little short so I change the 75mm stem to 90mm (I'd been running 80mm most of last year so this was a good bit longer).

To my surprise it felt right from the first moment, I could reach the hoods fine and it felt more comfortable.

I also tried the rotating the pelvis thing - didn't really understand it and I'm probably doing it wrong, but it does seem effective! In fact in doing that I could take an even longer stem! Puts a bit more weight on my hands which is fine because it's less weight on my back, the position feels better and more 'road' like.

I did a 50 mile ride which was basically 2,000ft of relentless climb into a block headwind over 25miles, then back down the hill!My back was aching a little in the last 50 miles, so it's by no means solved, but I think I'm headed in the right direction.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mark1978 wrote:First ride with drops today :)

It all feels very unusual after riding flat bar hybrids for years.

Two years today since I posted that and I don't feel any further forward really :(.

I went out for a short 20 mile ride at the weekend, with a break in the middle and still managed to hurt my back, feels like muscle pain this time, still hurting now :(

I've contacted the bike fitter again to see if I can see him.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

You have my sympathies. When I started doing 200k Audax I ran into a lot of issues. I had a bike fit done here

http://www.perfectcondition.ltd.uk/Arti ... inpage.htm

which changed my position radically. i,e, I went from an 80cm to 130 cm stem, saddle went back as far as it could go. Almost everything was the complete opposite of what I thought was correct. The position was very strange at first and I did feel some aches in my lower back as I was stretching tendons and muscle that weren't used to the position. I now ride 200k Audax in comfort. All my issues with left foot hot foot, numb fingers in left hand (for several days after cycling) very sore left sit bone area, shoulder and neck ache have all disappeared. I can even ride on the drops if I so desire.

I went to Tim because I wanted someone who was a a bit more objective about the person rather than using a formulaic system. At the time I though I was looking for a shim to better balance my left and right legs (osteopaths and chiropractors have confirmed I have a slightly tilted pelvis). Tim confirmed that I didn't need a shim. He was also relatively inexpensive at £80 for a two hour fitting session. I did buy a stem and saddle off him because it was easy to do at the time but there was no hard sell. Unfortunately me and the saddle didn't get on long term so I'm back with my Cambium until I find a suitable seatpost with more than 32mm set back or finally break in my Nidd.

If you haven't yet tried a much longer stem then you might be surprised. However you can't just pop on the stem, that has to be done after you've got the saddle position sorted.

I hope you find some kind of solution in the near future.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I was originally running an 80mm stem and went to 75mm to see if would help with my issues; it didn't

However I then went the other way and put on a 90mm stem and I really like the position and can reach the hoods and drops with ease. However last time out I appear to have pulled a muscle particularly one in my lower back right hand side is that the glute? Feels a different pain to usual but painful all the same!

Funny cos during the ride I felt fine.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Could just be you did too much to soon so your muscles didn't have time to adapt. I certainly felt the stretch in the early days of my new position.

When your current pain is resolved try doing shorter rides and remember to sit up and stretch every 5 miles or so.

Here's hoping I'm not teaching granny to such eggs.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

freeflow wrote:Could just be you did too much to soon so your muscles didn't have time to adapt. I certainly felt the stretch in the early days of my new position.

When your current pain is resolved try doing shorter rides and remember to sit up and stretch every 5 miles or so.

Here's hoping I'm not teaching granny to such eggs.

I really do hope you're right! And it's not unknown for me to have aches after a new position but nowt like this :(.

I did keep it short. 9 miles then lunch then 9 miles home.

This time last year I was doing 70-80 mile rides most weekends!
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

The problem is that our back muscles have a learned pattern of stress compensation. What we think of as normal and OK is quite often just a set of adaptations that we no longer notice (According to the explanation provided by a sports physiotherapist I had occasion to resort to recently). So in your case an adapted muscle may have just been stressed a touch more which takes it to the point of objecting. I have experience of the of muscles in my back going into spasm just on account of bending over a bike to adjust something. The fact that you lasted 9 miles might be a minor miracle. So the next suggestion on the table is for you to visit a sports physiotherapist to see if you back muscles need 'detuning' to get them to a more normal pattern. If you have had back problems in the past it is quite likely that this will be helpful.

From the days when I was really suffering with my back due to trying to perfect sitting trot on horses Mrs F and myself invested in one of these.

http://www.backinaction.co.uk/mobiliser

I no longer ride horses but still use the mobiliser on a reasonably regular basis. Its surprising how tense your muscles can be just after a normal days activity let alone cycling in a new position.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I failed to mention that the previous week I'd done 50 miles with the same position and no real issues but half of it was up hill into a howling gale and I was deliberately taking it steady. It was aching a bit during the ride but nothing major unlike this week.

I think the only difference was yesterday I was trying to keep a decent pace (which at 15mph isn't exactly pro peloton lol)
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

That sounds like a classic recipe for a stress induced muscle spasm. That strengthens the recommendation for seeing a sports physiotherapist.