Fit question stretched out on the hoods

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vorpal

Re: Fit question stretched out on the hoods

Post by Vorpal »

If it's fine one time, and not another, it could be due to something that you are doing (or not doing) off the bike. I would look for the problem somewhere other than bike fit, anyway.

Do you do anything to improve your core strength, such as yoga/pilates, martial arts, or core workouts?

Have you been doing something that requires bending such as gardening or laundry?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Vorpal wrote:Do you do anything to improve your core strength, such as yoga/pilates, martial arts, or core workouts?

No I'm terribly bad at having the motivation to do that sort of thing. In fact most exercise except cycling and walking ;)

Have you been doing something that requires bending such as gardening or laundry?

Gardening no, but laundry yes, every day :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark1978 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Do you do anything to improve your core strength, such as yoga/pilates, martial arts, or core workouts?

No I'm terribly bad at having the motivation to do that sort of thing. In fact most exercise except cycling and walking ;)

Gardening no, but laundry yes, every day :(

Try to sit down (on a small stool or something) when loading machines or transferring washing, rather than bending. This advice goes for tidying, as well. Use your legs, not your back for lifting, especially if you are picking up children (who can wiggle or shift, causing an unintended twist in your motion). You are much less likely to suffer from these sorts of problems if you look after your back. It would be best to strengthen your core, as well, but you may find that it is enough to avoid abusing the muscles in your lower back.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Mark1978 wrote:Well I did a 100km ride - around and around a 4.5mile circuit, and my back was completely fine, no problems when I got back.

A week later, and no changes to the bike I did another 100km ride, although a proper distance ride this time, not hilly but not flat, only one climb where I selected the inner ring for a few seconds.

Back was twinging almost from the outset, never any proper pain it was just a dull ache and I was somewhat reluctant to push or put in a lot of effort in case it made it worse. Precautionary stops every 30 minutes and it was still a dull ache when I got back, the main issue isn't that but more that I felt that I couldn't try and go faster in case it made it worse.

I haven't tried any real climbing this year hoping to give that a go next weekend.

The 100km on 4.5mile circuit, i feel this would not replicate a long ride. you are either not stressing you body at all, or the repetition of sections is too predictable.

What i'm trying to say is that they are not comparable to a 'long ride'.

the ache 'almost from the outset' was that further than 4.5miles? on very different terrain? or at the end of the street?
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As Vorpal says, Core Strength.
I would never of expected my core to weaken but it does even at 30 odd, you think I will just swing on the bars at play ground like you were at school :(

So I am 56 and I do daily core exercises, plus all the other too.

What you describe is exactly what I still suffer from, you can't place your finger on it and never will, but you can minimise the frequency of a bad back by doing daily exercises.
Its nothing bike related just modern man.

OR you spend even more time talking about cycling and less time riding with pleasure.

Bite the bullet and get some basic kit for home, NO need for the gym.
Exercise ball 65CM diameter.
Hand and ankle weights.
A step platform equal height to the step on your stairs 8 - 9".
Some heavier hand weights for single leg steps onto platform 6 - 8 kgs each.

Even simple exercise's will give you pain for 3- 14 days of daily use, BUT will fade after that and then you are home free IF you keep it up, Whats the other alternative :?:
I have been there laying in bed and crawling to the toilet, not even being able to stand :shock:
Watching the world go by from the lounge or bedroom window..............................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

andrewjoseph wrote:
The 100km on 4.5mile circuit, i feel this would not replicate a long ride. you are either not stressing you body at all, or the repetition of sections is too predictable.

What i'm trying to say is that they are not comparable to a 'long ride'.

the ache 'almost from the outset' was that further than 4.5miles? on very different terrain? or at the end of the street?

After about the first half hour I would say.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark
If your job means you're sat down a lot say at a desk/computer etc,that'll definitely have something to do with it.
Posture?
It's your choice ultimately,but core exercises will definitely help enormously,10mins per day can make all the difference.
You can't expect the body to go from zero exercise most of the time to a once a week workout,with some reaction to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

reohn2 wrote:Mark
If your job means you're sat down a lot say at a desk/computer etc,that'll definitely have something to do with it.

Yes; sat at a desk all day unfortunately. Aside from an hours walk at lunchtimes. Although I'm trying to figure out a sensible way to do 45 mins cycling during that time instead.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
NO..............that's not what we are saying, extra cycling wont help with that, you need is a good physio program :!:

If it was that easy I would just do an extra cycle daily.
You need to reverse and at worst slow the onset of what could be a very frustrating future.
Physiotherapy doesn't work like that it needs specific targeting of the correct muscles that are WEAK.

I came home from a very hilly coastal walk one day with a chronic back pain and spent the next week recovering, that was ten years ago, those days have gone thank god, but not without discipline.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark1978 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Mark

Yes; sat at a desk all day unfortunately. Aside from an hours walk at lunchtimes. Although I'm trying to figure out a sensible way to do 45 mins cycling during that time instead.

You do have an ergonomic desk, or one with adjustable height? Can you use it to stand sometimes?

It may be worth going to the GP with your problem so that you can use that to get more ergonomic desk & chair. If you do go to the GP, you need to be quite insistent that it needs sorting out, otherwise they will just give you an inforamation sheet about back pain & tell you to take paracetemol.

I have a height adjustable desk, and I use it as a standing desk sometimes; it helps me considerably if I can remember to do that at least a couple of times per day.

Sitting too much is really hard on the lower back.
Mark1978

Warning: Incoming rant

Post by Mark1978 »

I must admit that now; 2 years into this that I still haven't found a solution which means I can ride by bike in comfort and not end up with bad knees, aching arms, or a bad back. When it comes down to it I just want to be able to go out and ride my bike, I find everything else that surrounds cycling rather frustrating if I'm honest.

Went out for a lunchtime ride on Wednesday, not long just 40 minutes but as fast a pace as I could manage. Felt completely fine at the time but the back pain came soon after and I'm still sat here with a dull ache on Friday lunchtime :(. Godaddmit I just want to ride my bike :(
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Mark I am in the same boat as you. Different aches and pains. I have now opted for a bike fit. I think I know the issue but cant see to sort the problem out.

Given the positive feedback from those that I have a bike fit, £200 over 10 years is not a bad investment.

Its fun to figure things but after 3 years and lots of very good help on the forum its better but not perfect. I feel like its so close and its just frustrating
Mark1978

Fit question stretched out on the hoods

Post by Mark1978 »

I'm thinking of going to get another bike fit at a different place. But I'm wary of getting back on the bike again as my back still isn't better.

I've been looking at YouTube videos of core workouts etc but it's always you can do this and this and this and this but without structuring it into a self contained workout.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Mark1978 wrote:I'm thinking of going to get another bike fit at a different place. But I'm wary of getting back on the bike again as my back still isn't better.

I've been looking at YouTube videos of core workouts etc but it's always you can do this and this and this and this but without structuring it into a self contained workout.

Its hard to know where to start and what to preserve with. I think you should rethink from the feet up. Reading stuff is easy, but when someone says your pedal stroke should be fluid I have no idea what that feels like (and I would have to as I cant see without a video and even then I would not know what to look for).

good luck
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Mark1978 wrote:I'm thinking of going to get another bike fit at a different place. ............

I have an alternative suggestion.
Dig out the numbers from the bike fit you had a year or whatever ago.
As I recall, the fitter dropped your saddle something massive like 23mm, and you put it back up "because it felt wrong".....of course it felt wrong. If you had been walking backwards all your life, and somebody showed you how to walk forwards, it would feel wrong.
My suggestion is that you drop your saddle 3 or 4mm, and ride the bike until you are used to that, then drop it another 3 or 4mm and so on until you get to the saddle height the fitter recommended. Do the same with any other adjustments he recommended.

If you go to a different fitter, what are you looking for? If you search the four corners of the earth to find a bike fitter who agrees with your current position, how will that help you get comfortable?