Spa Cycles Leather Saddles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Spa Cycles Leather Saddles

Post by deliquium »

1. Do they have longer rails than Brooks? Is so, how much?

2. Are they covered underneath in some plastic?

3. If yes to 2, why? Does that mean they aren't breathable - by which I mean hotter

4. Any Brooks B17 Standard owners migrated - to which one?

Reasons for questions - I wish to keep riding my late wife's 1993 custom Longstaff frame, even though it's on the small side. The main difference though is the 1º different seat tube angle compared to my frames, I'm unable to get a Brooks far enough back on the Kalloy seatpost with 25mm layback.

The reason I like Brooks is I don't get a hot <moderated> - which every other padded/gel/plastic/whatever saddle is guaranteed to provide :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Brucey

Re: Spa Cycles Leather Saddles

Post by Brucey »

spa nidd underside;

brooks professional underside

on this basis I'd reckon to get the Nidd about 3/8" further back if needs be.

Not tried one myself, but I might at some point.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Can't answer any of the Spa saddle questions although have seen them in the flesh and they feel rock hard new, but if you like your Brooks, why not get a seatpost with more setback? I have a Velo Orange seatpost that has a massive amount of layback?
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... tback.html
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Jezrant wrote:Can't answer any of the Spa saddle questions although have seen them in the flesh and they feel rock hard new, but if you like your Brooks, why not get a seatpost with more setback? I have a Velo Orange seatpost that has a massive amount of layback?
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... tback.html

Unfortunately the seat tube is 27mm, otherwise that would have been a good looking answer.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

You could probably get the seat tube reamed to 27.2mm for a few quid at any framebuilder. You're welcome to borrow my VO seatpost if you want to give it a try. I have it on a bike that doesn't get ridden much these days. It replaced a Campag seatpost with 25mm setback. The VO gives at least an extra 10mm as far as I can tell. Mine's not for sale, but I bought it used on here from someone for £15, so they do turn up in the for sale ads once in a while too. I suspect the people who end up selling them have also given up on Brooks saddles as well.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

VK Saddle Adapter from SJS with the advantage you will be able to clamp in the middle of the rails, not cantilevered out on the end of the rails.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vk-saddle-adjuster-prod1249/
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Jezrant wrote:You could probably get the seat tube reamed to 27.2mm for a few quid at any framebuilder. You're welcome to borrow my VO seatpost if you want to give it a try.

Thanks for your kind offer Jesse :D I'm sure Mr Longstaff used a 27mm seat tube for a reason? Would need further advice before taking a reamer to it - even though I have access to one.

TonyR wrote:VK Saddle Adapter from SJS with the advantage you will be able to clamp in the middle of the rails, not cantilevered out on the end of the rails.

Always a possibility - but I couldn't look at one of my bikes sporting one :oops:. Plus it's close to the price of a Spa saddle

Thanks for the photo Brucey - so there's no plastic backing underneath? EDIT: According to the BLOG from whence the photo came, there is a bonded non leather material to the underside
Current pedalable joys

georgew

Post by georgew »

The "Nidd" as shown in Bruce's photo has a waterproof material bonded underneath. I can't see this as reducing the breathing aspect at all.
The rails as shown are longer which is an improvement on the many Broks B17 saddles I've had over the years.

I found my Nidd was as hard as any B17 as it would be given that the leather is much thicker than the B17. Given the thickness of the leather and that this had been processed in order to provide some water-proofing, there is no chance that it could be "broken-in" using the process recommended by Brooks. I made mine more comfortable by modifying the saddle as per the Brooks Imperial, with a shaped slit in the top and by completely loosening the cord which tensions the saddle wings.
I have to say that it looks like it will last for years.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

It would not be a big job to take a 27.2mm alloy seat post and reduce it to 27.0mm. Its only a tenth of a mm that needs removing and that could be done by wrapping emery paper round it and twisting the seat tube inside it or by getting someone with a lathe to skim 0.1mm off it.
JulesDawes

Post by JulesDawes »

This is true ^

If you were local to Gosport I could do that for you!
JOGLE All The Way

Three people, Three Bikes, Three Charities, 1100+ Miles
http://joglealltheway.blogspot.co.uk/
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

IME the Spa Aire lasts a good deal longer than the Brooks Swallows/Swifts (remember that Brooks saddles aren't all the same - some are made with thicker leather while others are made with thinner). So if you prefer that shape of saddle the Spa Cycles saddles are the one's to go for.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I got a Spa Wharfe free because the previous owner found it too hard. It was like concrete, but was tamed after soaking in neatsfoot oil. This can only get in at the edges because of the rolled top and waterproof bottom, so takes nearly a week. 250 miles later and I can feel (but not yet see) dimples appearing.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

rogerzilla wrote:I got a Spa Wharfe free because the previous owner found it too hard. It was like concrete, but was tamed after soaking in neatsfoot oil. This can only get in at the edges because of the rolled top and waterproof bottom, so takes nearly a week. 250 miles later and I can feel (but not yet see) dimples appearing.

Have you noticed whether the saddle runs "warmer" because of the waterproof bonding (reason for?)? - Probably impossible to tell until June :?
Current pedalable joys

pete75

Post by pete75 »

andymiller wrote:IME the Spa Aire lasts a good deal longer than the Brooks Swallows/Swifts (remember that Brooks saddles aren't all the same - some are made with thicker leather while others are made with thinner). So if you prefer that shape of saddle the Spa Cycles saddles are the one's to go for.

What experience? The Spa saddles have only been on the market for a year or so and Brooks saddles regularly last 25 years or more . :o

To answer the original question my Spa Nidd has rails which let it sit almost 1/2 an inch further back than my B17.

The Nidd is hard when you get it but you'll have a more comfortable break in period if you remove the lacing for the first couple of hundred miles by which time it will be well broken in - well mine was anyway.
They are covered underneath in some sort of bonded nylon fabric - handy if you ride without mudguards. It seems to breath the same as any other leather saddle and won't bake your bum.
The Nidd is very similar to a B17.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pete75 wrote:...........Brooks saddles regularly last 25 years or more ..........

............well.........they did...........!!!!!!!.............but in my experience, not any more............