Madone vs Domane

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mark1978

Madone vs Domane

Post by Mark1978 »

I'm looking at two bikes in particular at the moment, both similar in spec and price, one is the Trek Madone 2.3 and one is the Trek Domane 2.3.

They both have 105 groupsets, the same gearing, same frame materials, but the Domane is billed as an 'Endurance' bike compared to the Madone, so I'm wondering which one I should be considering.

My background: Cycled a lot in my early 20s. But then had a 15 year break and now 35 I started cycling again last July with a Trek FX hybrid. I'm usually cycling on my own doing 2 x 10 miles during the week and 20-30 miles on a weekend - I don't commute as it's too far (70 mile round trip!). Recently went riding with friends (see thread Hybrid vs Road Bike speed) and found I'm going to need a road bike to keep up, and I'm hoping to do many more bike rides / sportives this year and step up the distances, and maybe take part in some group rides with my local club.
Brucey

Re: Madone vs Domane

Post by Brucey »

I doubt there is a huge difference between the way they ride; you might notice if you go racing, probably not otherwise.

What you will notice is if one bike will take mudguards and stuff like that, and the other one won't.

If there are differences in seat angle etc then this will also affect what position you can get on the bike, so it is possible that one will fit you better than the other.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Brucey wrote:I doubt there is a huge difference between the way they ride; you might notice if you go racing, probably not otherwise.

I won't be racing; unless you count trying to keep up with my friends ;)

What you will notice is if one bike will take mudguards and stuff like that, and the other one won't.

Both say they have "Vanishing mudguard mounts"

The things I'm mostly concerned with are, hill climbing speed and being able to do a decent distance >60miles without my body falling apart - which I guess is related to comfort.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mark1978 wrote: The things I'm mostly concerned with are, hill climbing speed and being able to do a decent distance >60miles without my body falling apart - which I guess is related to comfort.

IMHO; all three things (yes, including 'comfort') are primarily dependant on fitness for the sort of riding you have in mind, and the sort of bike you are thinking of getting.

If you are fit enough you will find that some bikes of this sort are subtly -or a lot- different in comfort. If you are not fit enough you will suffer horribly on any of them, if you are trying to keep up with others who are faster than you are and who won't wait.

cheers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Well, I didn't read every word on the Trek website, but I'm pretty confused by the "fit" of these bikes.
Madone 2.3 is an H2 fit (oh yes it is!! http://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en/bikes/road/sport/madone_2_series/madone_2_3_h2_compact/#)
featuring a higher head tube to put less stress on back and neck.
Domane 2.3 is an Endurance fit, the world's most comfortable racing geometry, http://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en/bikes/road/sport/domane_2_series/domane_2_3_compact/#/ie/en/model/features?url=ie/en/bikes/road/sport/domane_2_series/domane_2_3_compact
achieved by......
our old friend a slightly higher head tube.
I don't suppose with a reputable firm its all just sales blurb, perhaps its all explained somewhere that I didn't read?
So I looked at the geometry tables......will I never learn? .....head angle, seat angle, fork offset .......all vary with size.
So, Mark, in order to cut down on the paperwork, can you give us a clue what size you are looking at?
(or even which bike Trek recommend for people who are not used to drop bars?)

Aside from all that, both bikes have compact double chainsets....if your existing hybrid (Oooohhh!...wash my keyboard out!.....am I allowed that word?) has a compact double, you will probably only be losing the one bottom gear by having a road 10 speed rear cassette (30T against 34)...but if you now have a triple, its likely to be more.
Fitting mudguards is about clearance under the brakes as much as fittings on the frame. Both these bikes have 105 brakes, unless I got that wrong too, so I don't think either will have generous mudguard clearance?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I'm 5'6" so I'm guessing a 52cm frame although I stand ready to be corrected on that.

As I understand it the main differences between Madone and Domane are the wider tyres, 'endurance' geometry. A curved front fork and a decoupling at the seat stay.

I do ride a triple at the moment however since I never use the very bottom gear the double on these bikes works out around the same gearing.

As for mudguards. My friend has a bike with 105 brakes and 25c tyres and fits a mudguard so it can be done ;)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the same brakes can cover a range of brake clearances of ~12mm. This is a lot; plenty enough to stop you from fitting mudguards. You need to check the brake block position in the slots as well.

cheers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

OK, I'm 5' 10", I ride a bike where the seat tube actually measures 54cm, looking at the Madone, their "54" size the seat tube actually measures 50.6cm, a 54cm Domane actually measures 50cm, so I'm guessing its a Trek 54 for you....but it is a guess.....you need to test ride!.
The 54 Domane is going to have nice stable steering, seat tube is too steep for me at best part of 74 deg, head tube 16cm, reach 37.4cm.
The 54 Madone is full racing steering (too quick for me....YMMV), seat tube still too steep, head tube 15cm, reach 38.1
So if it was me (but it isn't, its you) I would be looking at the Domane, because the Madone has the sort of steering where I end up in the ditch if I take my eyes off the road for a second.
They have both got very steep seat tubes,,,,make sure the saddle goes far enough back for you. Check both for toe overlap, if it bothers you.
They do have tall head tubes, the bike I'm thinking of has 13.5cm, and lots of spacers.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

I'm 5'6" too. I'd go with the "52cm". According to the Trek geometry tables, the "minimum seat height" for the "54cm" frames is 68cm. That would be 1cm too high for me. You'd spot this in the shop before you pays your money, but there are lots of other bikes in this price bracket out there to consider IMHO.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Jezrant wrote:I'm 5'6" too. I'd go with the "52cm". According to the Trek geometry tables, the "minimum seat height" for the "54cm" frames is 68cm. That would be 1cm too high for me. You'd spot this in the shop before you pays your money, but there are lots of other bikes in this price bracket out there to consider IMHO.

That "minimum seat height" was something I overlooked in their rather extensive table. What does it mean?
The "52 size" seat tube actually measures around 50cm....so you can't get the seat lower than 68cm.....because?
If the bottom of the seat post fouls the seat tube bottle boss, thats easily solved with a hacksaw or a shorter post.
Wether a larger or a smaller frame is the "best fit" is more likely to be decided by handlebar reach and height than by saddle height, IMO....easily solved by measuring up and test riding......except that the OP isn't currently riding drops at all. The choice is usually between shorter reach on the smaller size or higher bars on the larger size, which is a difficult call if you are only used to flat bars.
Of course if a 1cm lower saddle offends the style police, thats an insoluble problem... :wink:
Be interesting to know what "fit" Trek recommend.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark1978 wrote:I'm 5'6" so I'm guessing a 52cm frame although I stand ready to be corrected on that.

As I understand it the main differences between Madone and Domane are the wider tyres, 'endurance' geometry. A curved front fork and a decoupling at the seat stay.

I do ride a triple at the moment however since I never use the very bottom gear the double on these bikes works out around the same gearing.

As for mudguards. My friend has a bike with 105 brakes and 25c tyres and fits a mudguard so it can be done ;)

Your hybrid frame size may not translate directly to a road bike frame size. The same person may require a slightly smaller frame for drop handle bars because the reach is further. It depends on a person's build as well as height.

If a bike doesn't take mudguards, you can also use race blades (other brands are available). They aren't quite as good as proper mudguards, but they do the job.

Wider tyres will be a little more comfortable.

I would never object to an excuse to buy a new bike, but don't think that buying a road bike will automaticlly let you keep up with your firends. IME, as long as the bike is of a reasonable standards, keeping up is 90% or 95% rider and 5% or 10% bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I know it alone won't help me keep up. But at least we'd be on equal terms which would motivate me more as I know it's all down to me not the bike ;)
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

I am 5'7 with a 29 1/2in inside leg. The local Trek dealer recommended a 52cm and this seemed just about right sitting on bike in the shop. I didn't ride it though.

Peter
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Cheers. I'm not sure what to look for in a fitting since I've never ridden a road bike.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Quite irrelevant but I wonder why they use anagrams for bike names. :?