Fixed Gear/Single Speed .

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Drake

Fixed Gear/Single Speed .

Post by Drake »

The only time i've ridden a single speed was as a child . I also tried fixed at about that time,and through my own stupidity,came off the bike,so i decided not for me .
But this style of bike does seem to be popular,or at least that's how it appears to me .
So what's the attraction/advantage for this type of cycling . Other than weight,i can't see any advantage . But that's only because my knowledge of this type of machine is zero .
There is reason for asking the above . As i've posted many times before,three of us have been resurrecting an old mtb . This is now nearly finished,just the front changer to fit . Now we have another machine,an old Raleigh aluminium framed non susp mtb . The general consensus is to convert to a single speed,although i'm the one that's not totally convinced . Not perhaps the ideal frame to use,but that's what we've got . It does have a freewheel hub fitted,as apposed to the more modern freehub type,so on paper a single speed would fit,but we would need advice on that .
So if any of you lads and lasses out there use single or fixed,this old sceptic is ready to be convinced otherwise .
Drake

Re: Fixed Gear/Single Speed .

Post by Drake »

P.S . - - - - - - - SORRY ! I meant to post this in "Does Anybody Know" .
tyred

Post by tyred »

The beauty of fixed or single speed is in it's simplicity. Just get on and ride and don't waste time wondering about when to change gear, etc. Want to go faster, pedal faster, want to go slower, pedal slower. A single speed drive train is also very efficient so it isn't as difficult on anything resembling a normal hill as some might think.

There is the further advantage of having a very simple and cheap to maintain bike.

Most of the advantages of singlespeed freewheel can be achieved with a Sturmey Archer hub and still have it easy on the climbs if you live somewhere really hilly.

Fixed is a different riding experience all together. You'll either love it or hate.

A lot of people will say singlespeed freewheel is pointless but I disagree. There is a place, otherwise the freewheel would never have been invented and wouldn't have survived into the modern era. It's a lot more useable in a really hilly area for a start as you can gear low without things getting out of hand on descents. It's easier on leisurely touring type rides.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

On Sunday in the car we were going up a hill we know very well on the bike,half way up was a rider we're on "nodding" terms with,he was grovelling up on fixed.
My first thought was why?
Why in hilly terrain would anyone wish to ride fixed?
I've witnessed the same grovel climbing and where the fixed riders legs are a blur when descending.
There'll be those who say,it's great for you're pedaling technique,etc,etc.
IMHO,unless the terrain is flat and or the rides are short,fixed is next to useless,yes there are those prefer fixed,that's their choice but for the vast majority of people riding,gears and freewheeling occasionally is preferable by a long shot.
Gears are there for maintaining a comfortable cadence whatever the terrain. Fixedgear/singlespeed eliminates that possibility,fixed eliminates rests whilst riding.
I for one like to have a rest(freewheel) now and again whilst riding and I don't like grovelling out of the saddle up climbs that with the right range of gearing I can sit down and twiddle up without problem.
I've no doubt someone will give the other side of the story,personally fixed is of no use to me or IMO, the majority of cyclists.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

There has been a fixed in my stable almost since I satrted club riding 45 years ago. Admittedly I seldom ride it these days having other preferences. At one time I did not even own a geared touring/club bike only having a fixed except for racing.
reohn2 wrote:personally fixed is of no use to me or IMO, the majority of cyclists.
Of use or not is not really the issue for me. As an enthusiast I want to ride any type of pedal cycle available even if it is only "to see what it might be like". To the average person plodding to work I would agree, but for the club cyclist it provides a different experience. For me flat roads are not good on any sort of machine, but rolling roads are excellent on fixed as are long drags. As I wrote - it is a different aspect to the broad church that is cycling.
meic

Post by meic »

If I had a fixed gear or single speed, I would certainly be using different muscle sets.
Mostly those involved with walking.
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

The reason for the popularity of fixies at the moment is simply fashion.

There are those that ride them because they do bring benefits, but most of your young urban fixie riders are just doing it because everyone else is. It started with couriers - who found fixies were good because of the lack of maintenance, low cost and use in fairly flat urban environments...it wasn't long before other urban cyclists started to copy them, creating a bit of a trend for fixies, then non-cyclists realised that the fixie was a cool urban fashion accessory and so they took off. Notice how they have started to appear leaning against the wall of people's apartments in life-style adverts on TV. This is not to criticise those that got into cycling this way - more power to them I say - more bums on saddles is always a good thing.

That is not to say that there aren't those who ride fixed because it brings real benefits. Some enthuse over the handling - the feed back you get from the rear wheel (although I've never really gotten the Zen thing). And of course there is low maintenance and low cost. Plus the bike will be a tad lighter if you should worry about such things. For me though, it means that I get a good work out in a short period of time: I have to pedal all the way, some hills are harder thus it gives me better climbing practise, the downs call for lots of spinning so it improves my pedalling action (which helps when I move onto the 'bent or tandem). Now, you might say that I could just use a normal bike and keep pedalling in one gear all the way around my ride - tried it and it just doesn't work like that in real world situations, but YMMV.

Another thing is that it can get you (and when I say 'you' I mean 'me') into an interesting rhythm on longer rides. I often find that on the fixed I always feel like I'm pedalling comfortably, but when I go back onto the multigeared bike I can never get it into the right gear to feel comfortable. Plus you don't get the post rest tiredness - for instance if on a multigeared bike you haul it up a hill then freewheel down the other side, as soon as you start pedalling for the next climb you can feel your legs complaining (probably because they are full of lactic or some such?) - on the fixed you don't get this so much because you've spun it out a bit on the down.....I'm not saying that the fixed actually makes it easier, but that it has to strong headology that can kid you into thinking that it's easier.

Then there is the fabled climbing ability - the way that the fixed gear pushes your feet over the dead spot and so makes you climb faster...but that's just an old wife's tail :twisted:

Of course, there are plenty of downsides to fixed too. Harder to lug lots of luggage, Harder on some stupid steep or long climbs. Headwinds can be a pain too if you are feeling delicate. The handling isn't always as good as you can't lean so far for fear of grounding the pedals. And if you do excessive leg braking it will sap your energy compared to squeezing a brake lever with your hands. Oh, and getting the rear wheel out of some can be a pita if you've got guards on.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:Of use or not is not really the issue for me. As an enthusiast I want to ride any type of pedal cycle available even if it is only "to see what it might be like".
....... For me flat roads are not good on any sort of machine, but rolling roads are excellent on fixed as are long drags. As I wrote - it is a different aspect to the broad church that is cycling.

That's fair comment,whatever strums yer strings :)
Just a couple of thoughts,wind,cadence :wink: .
W H Auden
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

reohn2 wrote:Just a couple of thoughts,wind,cadence :wink: .
I hate a head wind as a result of living on an exposed coastline for half of my life. When riding fixed it is a bit like climbing a long drag - just get on with it. Cadence - on the flat my preferred rate is about 100rpm. In the times that I rode fixed a lot I could touch 200rpm on a descent but certainly could not maintain it.

About 1975 I went on a CTC tour in Normandy & Brittany, this was in the days when most people used a large saddlebag not muliple panniers for a week away. I went on fixed. I was almost always the first to the top of the hills and never the last one down. Of course, in 1975 I was 23 years old so much stronger/resiliant than now.

I really really truly positively hate that modern affectation "fixie", I ride a fixed plain and simple. When the present fad was in its infancy the trendy magazines tried to invent a name for somebody riding "fixie" and decided on fixer. Trendies have confused themselves by now using the same term to describe the machine. Time to climb off my soapbox
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've ridden fixed (as the mood takes me, on the road) for about 30 years. It is not for everyone. But it can improve your strength, and/or your ability to 'twiddle' a gear. It is a useful training device if nothing else. Hills can be brutal, like doing a weights session. Importantly it improves your core strength because it works out muscles that don't get used if you sit in a low gear and twiddle.

Singlespeed MTBs are a different kettle of fish; quite nice on rolling trails. Usually it is best to pick a gear that is rather smaller for offroad; 50 to 54" is plenty, some people ride a fair bit smaller than that.

If you want to simulate a singlespeed MTB, just pick a gear and don't change it. If you want to simulate a fixed (not perfectly) then do the same, but just don't stop pedalling, ever.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Just a couple of thoughts,wind,cadence :wink: .
I hate a head wind as a result of living on an exposed coastline for half of my life. When riding fixed it is a bit like climbing a long drag - just get on with it. Cadence - on the flat my preferred rate is about 100rpm. In the times that I rode fixed a lot I could touch 200rpm on a descent but certainly could not maintain it.

The strength of the wind directly influences cadence when riding fixed.If I've got enough gears it can blow as hard as it likes,providing I can stay upright I can cycle,not so on fixed,but then if it were so windy you'd probably select a multigeared bike from the stable :wink:

About 1975 I went on a CTC tour in Normandy & Brittany, this was in the days when most people used a large saddlebag not muliple panniers for a week away. I went on fixed. I was almost always the first to the top of the hills and never the last one down. Of course, in 1975 I was 23 years old so much stronger/resiliant than now.

Oh for the days of youth and vigour :)

I really really truly positively hate that modern affectation "fixie", I ride a fixed plain and simple. When the present fad was in its infancy the trendy magazines tried to invent a name for somebody riding "fixie" and decided on fixer. Trendies have confused themselves by now using the same term to describe the machine. Time to climb off my soapbox

I'm not keen on the term myself,but I'll forgive the fashion conscious,their clothing never fails to amuse :)
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Brucey wrote:
If you want to simulate a singlespeed MTB, just pick a gear and don't change it.

No, noo, and thrice noooooo.
If you just pick a gear and don't change you won't enjoy the silence, the improved efficiency and the lack of reliability of a SS (and yes, I did get the third one the right way around :wink: ).
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Brucey wrote:I've ridden fixed (as the mood takes me, on the road) for about 30 years. It is not for everyone. But it can improve your strength, and/or your ability to 'twiddle' a gear. It is a useful training device if nothing else. Hills can be brutal, like doing a weights session. Importantly it improves your core strength because it works out muscles that don't get used if you sit in a low gear and twiddle.

Singlespeed MTBs are a different kettle of fish; quite nice on rolling trails. Usually it is best to pick a gear that is rather smaller for offroad; 50 to 54" is plenty, some people ride a fair bit smaller than that.

If you want to simulate a singlespeed MTB, just pick a gear and don't change it. If you want to simulate a fixed (not perfectly) then do the same, but just don't stop pedalling, ever.

cheers

Approx 125 years ago, roads were no better than dirt tracks. Starley must have known something. :D Or was it just luck?

Remembering back to schooldays, I had a 26" bike with 42 ring to 21 sprocket. 52" and it was lovely to ride with its big tyres. Front rack and cowhorns for newspaper bag.
Si

Post by Si »

reohn2 wrote:

I'm not keen on the term myself,but I'll forgive the fashion conscious,their clothing never fails to amuse :)

The disdain for the word 'fixie' and all that goes with it, I feel, has contributed nicely to the popularity of such. Like in the early nineties when roadies would comment on these new fangled MTBers not being real cyclists.....it allows the new generation to do bikes without being associated with the old crusties and all the dull and boring drudgery that goes with them. But in the end, despite their token re-invention, they are bike riders, adding to the numbers, and it'd be a boring world if we were all exactly the same.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:
The disdain for the word 'fixie' and all that goes with it, I feel, has contributed nicely to the popularity of such. Like in the early nineties when roadies would comment on these new fangled MTBers not being real cyclists.....it allows the new generation to do bikes without being associated with the old crusties and all the dull and boring drudgery that goes with them. But in the end, despite their token re-invention, they are bike riders, adding to the numbers, and it'd be a boring world if we were all exactly the same.

I agree totally!
There was a leettle :) at the end of my post?
W H Auden