SPA Audax Steel - how is it?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
blackdog7677

SPA Audax Steel - how is it?

Post by blackdog7677 »

Have seen comments and a review on the Audax Ti, but nothing on the steel. Wondered what other owners thought of it.

my old frames headtube as a crack in it. The SPA Audax Steel seems to tick off my requirements for a replacment frame; having 130mm OLN, downtube lever bosses, designed for 57mm drop brakes, able to fit 25mm tyres and mudguards. Use for winter riding, communting. Its a little over budget, but does appear good value.

Ease of build - like bottom bracket thread quality, head-set crown race install, (don't know how it is these days, but in the past I have had to have the fork crown seat cut to get the race on)?
Paint quality - toughness, longevity?
Quality of ride. Soaks up miles, climbs?
Geometry proportions, fit?
Delighted | Disappointed?
Anything else to tell?

I see there's a big thread on the SPA shop, so no need for comments on that.
Brian73

Re: SPA Audax Steel - how is it?

Post by Brian73 »

Spa get good reviews, they are pretty well respected. I have used their shop for bits and pieces. I doubt they'd sell rubbish. It's probably not that light, but I would expect good welds and finish.

For £38 more you can get the Surly Pacer. Surly bikes are always well reviewed. The Pacer comes with a lugged steel fork instead of the composite one on the Spa.

I'm sure Spa would fit the forks and headset for a small fee.

Planet-X fitted my headset and forks (including cutting the steerer) for £9.99.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Take your shoes and pedals, go to the shop, and grab a ride on one of the test bikes.
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

Hi,

I have a frame ordered at the mo' which doesn't help you much but I've a feeling the bike is reviewed in the next ctc magazine.

Cheers m
blackdog7677

Post by blackdog7677 »

@Brian73 ... yes I hope it to be of good quality, just wondered if anyone had any experience. I hadn't realized, but I think its a new model, as it was not advertised in the oct/nov 2012 ctc mag, so perhaps I am jumping the gun. Perhaps I will be a long term tester! Surly -American frames generally don't suit me with their streched out positions. I think I am ok with a carbon fork, might of liked a light bracket boss, but I did not have one so, won't miss it.

@531colin ... good advice, I wish it was so easy, but there is always some obstacle; to get there train fare £104, estimate B&B in Harrogate £70, plus expenses. It would end up being 2/3 the cost of the frame and fork, and leaves me reaching for the credit card, instead of debit/cash!

@mgronow ... magazine must be with us very soon, perhaps I will hold on for that. Good luck with you build. Perhaps you can let us know more.

Have been using my mountain bike - forgotten how fast it was, and its been a good thing in all of this snow, so not having to rush to make a decision.

Thanks for your replies
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Its pretty new, although we has one on display at the York Rally....time flies!
725 butted main tubes, the geometry is exactly the same as the Ti bike, which means that the Reynolds steel forks (available as an alternative to carbon...probably dearer, as UK made) fit the steel bike too....they have fittings for low-riders, so you can get a lamp on there....I just can't remember if they have an additional boss for a lamp as well!
geometry.....http://www.spacycles.co.uk/smsimg/uploads/audaxgeometry.jpg
PH

Post by PH »

blackdog7677 wrote:@531colin ... good advice, I wish it was so easy, but there is always some obstacle; to get there train fare £104, estimate B&B in Harrogate £70, plus expenses. It would end up being 2/3 the cost of the frame and fork, and leaves me reaching for the credit card, instead of debit/cash!

I stayed in the travelodge for £27 and if you tell me where from I could probably find you a cheaper train fare :wink:
The Computer Monkey

Post by The Computer Monkey »

As Colin says the Spa Audax is very new we had about less than 20 prototype frames made. Four are built up as demonstrators, so there is literally a handful of them out there being ridden currently (and yes one is on test with the CTC).

The full run of production stock should be with us mid to late February.
I'll raise my hands and say I work at Spa, however my views are my own. Just because I've said it doesn't mean anyone else will agree.
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

The Computer Monkey wrote:should be with us mid to late February.

It was end of Jan-1st week feb when i ordered mine, do you have any solid news on their arrival?

regards
m.
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

Hi

Well the review is in the lastest edition of the magazine (in case the OP hasnt got it yet), its pretty positive but wont answer any of your questions i suspect.

regards
martin
gover_1

Post by gover_1 »

Please excuse my ignorance : I have had a good hunt around the internet and can't find this review anywhere, does anyone know where I could find it.

Also: does anyone know how frame& fork weights compare between similar sizes of the spa steel audax, spa ti audax and thorn audax mk3 (with carbon fork) these are the frames that are in the running for me at the minute.
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

Hi
The review appeared in the feb/march edition if the ctc magazine this year. I've no idea if these reviews make it onto the ctc website.

Regards martin
RickH

Post by RickH »

mgronow wrote:Hi
The review appeared in the feb/march edition if the ctc magazine this year. I've no idea if these reviews make it onto the ctc website.

Regards martin

The good news is yes, Cycle (among other publications) is on the website. The bad news is that they appear to be missing the Feb/March edition for some reason.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gover_1

Post by gover_1 »

well, the good news is i'm not going mad, had scoured the last 3 editions ( on the website) to see if i could find the relevant piece and had come up with nothing, i guess i will have to wait until the archive catches up.

Cheers
Mark
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

You folk who cannot find the relevant "Cycle" on the web-site - why not join the CTC and receive your magazine?

The review suggested an absolutely excellent bike.

blackdog...............you could always change your job, move house and come to live in Yorkshire. You'll find a welcome in these hillsides, and Spa could become your LBS...............