Best tyre for a Ridgeback Voyage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Best tyre for a Ridgeback Voyage

Post by reohn2 »

Bicycler wrote:You could carry two sets like R2 says and have tyres for each occasion. But if wanting a single set of tyres and wanting them to be sturdier than the marathons I'd be looking at the Marathon Mondial which is available in 700x35c and 700x40c. They are really designed for the kind of laden mixed terrain tour you envisage.

But IME ponderous and slow on tarmac and on wet tarmac more so,though a lot of people use them for 'expedition' touring
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Hmm. I did read your report of the tyres when I had mine and to an extent I came to agree. I found them a bit slower than my previous normal Marathons and eventually decided that they were a bit OTT for my UK riding. Still felt much better than a Marthon Plus IMHO. If Aubergine genuinely wants something "more sturdy" than regular Marathons for laden touring then I think they do fit the bill.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bicycler wrote:Hmm. I did read your report of the tyres when I had mine and to an extent I came to agree. I found them a bit slower than my previous normal Marathons and eventually decided that they were a bit OTT for my UK riding. Still felt much better than a Marthon Plus IMHO. If Aubergine genuinely wants something "more sturdy" than regular Marathons for laden touring then I think they do fit the bill.

Oh I agree,they're a step up for ruggedness than a standard Marathon,and is there anything worse for riding on than an M+ :? .I soppose it all depends on road conditions and the amount of gravel to be encountered.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden