Kick stand

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Si

Kick stand

Post by Si »

What are our views on after market kick stands?

I've one that clamps onto the chain stays just behind the BB*. It works fine, but have read various reports that such a beast can damage the frame due to it putting a twisting force through the tubes at an angle that they are not designed for....especially when the bike is loaded up with full touring kit.

*I've also seen stands that clamp near the rear hub but these won't work for me as my trailer hitch needs to go there.
Brucey

Re: Kick stand

Post by Brucey »

not on a lightweight frame please, for the reasons described.

They pretty well have to squash the chainstays a little to be fitted and to stay put without loosening. Very few quality tubesets have chainstays much over 1.2mm wall thickness, whereas 'gas pipe' frames can be 1.6mm in this area.

If you must have one of this type (there are alternatives), a braze-on bracket seems like a good idea.

[edit; I wonder if it is possible to combine the trailer hitch into the bracket for the hub-mounted type of stand?]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or just put the kick stand on the other side?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
meic

Post by meic »

Most stands and hitches have to fit on the left hand side.

They can be combined though. (May need a lottery win to afford it)

https://www.weber-products.de/kupplungen/index.html

as recommended by CJ.
Yma o Hyd
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Have we got time for another cuppa?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Use a click-stand instead?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Si

Post by Si »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Or just put the kick stand on the other side?

Would probably get in the way of the mech and chain.

Yes, I think that I am persuaded not to bother. Although I'm sure that I could mount it without squeezing the stays, the worry about damaging it would be more trouble than it's worth. My frame is quite chunky (Dawes OneDown) but you know know where they have put in weight saving measures (after all, you'd think that the LHT was pretty bomb proof).
Si

Post by Si »

andrew_s wrote:Use a click-stand instead?

Would probably do the job but a tad expensive.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

I have a Hebie Bipod Stand 605 NL and a retro fit stand plate 699 40 fitted to my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Pretty happy with it. It is not perfect but for me beats not having one.

Andrew
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I had a Pletscher on the Vantage pretty much since new (7-8 months) and the only problem I ever had was the darn thing toppling over. Unless the surface you park on is pretty much dead level, theres a risk of your bike going sideways.
I've since taken mine off and stuck it on my daughters bike who thinks its cool and yet manages to forget its there and drops the bike on its side when we stop for sweeties and so on.
Basically, it got on my nerves as I could never find anywhere level enough or with such a gradient that the bike would stay upright. Theres always something to lean your bike on :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

IrishBill76 wrote:I had a Pletscher on the Vantage pretty much since new (7-8 months) and the only problem I ever had was the darn thing toppling over. Unless the surface you park on is pretty much dead level, theres a risk of your bike going sideways.
Basically, it got on my nerves as I could never find anywhere level enough or with such a gradient that the bike would stay upright.

Sorry to disagree, but I love my Pletscher kickstand! It was easily the best 'modification' I made to my bike before my first tour. A slope the wrong way would be an issue, I agree, but I found that level or a slight decline (towards nearside, as it were) was fine. (And you get that slight decline most places due to the camber of the road.) On tour I had rear panniers weighing about a stone each (6.5Kg-ish). And the bike is 16.5Kg unladen.

There are different models from Pletscher though... [Edited to add - mine's a Pletscher Zoom]

IrishBill76 wrote:Theres always something to lean your bike on :)

Actually, no there isn't, not in the Outer Hebrides :D

No damage to the chainstay or seatstay so far - here's how it's fixed (mine is too dirty to photograph :wink:)
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... d-09-34106
Last edited by Tigger on 11 Oct 2012, 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Beware the two-legged variety or even the single leg ones that clamp around the seatstays behind the BB. It's altogether too easy to crush the chainstays whilst trying to tighten the clamp. Spoken from experience. :(

Mind you I didn't find out until after I'd trashed the rest of the frame in a pothole. I really should do more cleaning and maintenance. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Si wrote:What are our views on after market kick stands?

I've one that clamps onto the chain stays just behind the BB*. It works fine, but have read various reports that such a beast can damage the frame due to it putting a twisting force through the tubes at an angle that they are not designed for....especially when the bike is loaded up with full touring kit.

This summer I saw a number of people with a second kick stand attached to the front pannier rack - which probably adds a fair bit of stability and peace of mind.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

If you like the idea of the Click Stand, then a fishing bank stick with a y-piece end does the job just as well. You can get telescopic banksticks which are ideal and cost about a fiver from tackle shops.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.