tied and soldered spokes; widget alternative

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TonyR

Re: tied and soldered spokes; widget alternative

Post by TonyR »

Jobst Brandt has a bit to say about tied and soldered wheels in his book The Bicycle Wheel, mostly about it being a complete waste of time. His reasons are summarised here
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Has anyone on here had any experience of snowflake lacing?

TonyR

Post by TonyR »

fishfright wrote:Has anyone on here had any experience of snowflake lacing?

It used to be fashionable in mountain biking in the '80s but the wheels are not as strong as a conventionally laced wheel (and indistinguishable when moving - they only stand out when you are standing around chatting)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

and fashionable in cyclo-cross long before that.
Its a pain to do, and that particular example introduces another "unforced error" in that the spoke/rim angles are all to cock.
I dunno what "problem" snowflakes (or tied and soldered, come to that) are supposed to address, but theres little point in introducing another problem unless you are certain you have fixed an existing fatal flaw.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

additionally with T&S I think if you break a spoke (at the hub, or below the crossing anyway) the wheel may not go so far out of true. However if the spoke is able to slide through the 'crossing' easily, that possible benefit is lost.

It is worth noting that the wheel should be fully set and stress-relieved before you do the T&S operation; if not the crossing may be 'in the wrong place' should the spokes settle in hub at all.

I think that 'snowflake' spoking was the answer to an engineering question that no-one was asking. It seems to have been used by people who wanted a different look more than anything. Possibly the resultant wheel is a bit more elastic (but if so this isn't necessarily deliberate), and a lot more likely to break spokes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Brucey wrote:I think that 'snowflake' spoking was the answer to an engineering question that no-one was asking.

I liked the quote on the BBC yesterday from the guy that has managed to make light travel more slowly.

It's just one of those big, fundamental questions you may want to ask yourself at some point in the pub one night."