Identification of vintage road frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Rossco76

Re: Identification of vintage road frame

Post by Rossco76 »

Hi 531 Colin, sorry to reply late to this but i couldn't see you post before. It is a chater leas headset and chater lea axel. I thought from that and looking around that the lugs might be chater lea also?

I didn't get the bit about the H in the steering column?

I haven't seen it with the headset stripped off. SOmeone straightened the fork for me but i wasnt there and don't have any photos. If you can give me any more direction on what it might be i'd be really grateful .I could also take some more pictures if it would help with identification. The serial on the rear drop out is 64X76.

Cheers and sorry agaiun for not replying to this

Ross
Rossco76

Post by Rossco76 »

Hi, also just noticed there are 2 tiny holes drilled on each side of the inside of the forks about 2 inches up from the bottow and about 5 or six inches down from the top. Also looks like KL stamped on the under side of the fork crowns?

Cheers,

Ross
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They are blowholes to let the gases from making the frame escape. Lightweight framebuilders often fill them before the frame is enamelled.
iron legs

Post by iron legs »

From photographs the frame looks to be 1930s or 1940s. MERLIN was the brand name of E.A. & A.L. Merlin, 219 Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, London. They were in business before Bob Jackson and were associated with the Polytechnic CC. Would explain why Bob Jackson didn't recognise the frame number.