Rigida rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gbnz

Rigida rims

Post by gbnz »

I've found Rigida Chrina rims to be perfectly ok with many tyres (Scwalbe, continental gatorskins, various michelin, bontrager, maxxis folding tyres). However they've consistently been an impossibly tight fit with Vittoria Randonneur tyres - tyres which I've slipped on/off mavic and gieppme rims without an issue, have required cutting off the Rigida Chrina rims with a stanley knife and wire cutters!

Does anyone know whether the Rigida Sputnik/Grizzly rims, are equally as tight?

I'll be replacing the rim or whole wheel assembly on the town bike shortly and want to have a bomb proof rim. Ideally a Rigida rim if they're not too tight
irc

Re: Rigida rims

Post by irc »

I've had no problems with Sputniks. In fact the well seems deeper than usual making tyre fitting/removal easier.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

It really does depend on the tyres. I've just built some wheels
for a friend using Rigida Chrina rims. He fitted Schwalbe Marathon
Plus tyres ans they were a tight fit.
531 Colin has a video guide on You Tube.
My 26 inch Rigida Sputniks are tight with marathons but not
with city jets, also from Schwalbe.
Thank goodness for soup.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

irc wrote:I've had no problems with Sputniks. In fact the well seems deeper than usual making tyre fitting/removal easier.

I forgot to mention I'd be using 700mm rims

What tyres are you using?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Somewhere in this Tech Section there is a thread about how the outer diameter of Chrina rims has increased slightly in the last couple of years, so that they're a bit of a tighter fit for all tyres now. As my own experience of fitting tyres on them testifies.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a pair of Chrina rims that were different sizes (ERDs)!
They vary, and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole any more.
When the ones I have now wear out, I'll be buying a different make.

Rigida have gone down the pan.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've just got rid of my Rigida Chrina rear wheel, and replaced it with a Mavic open sport :D the tyres just flip on with the thumbs :D . I will not be going back to Rigida of any sort. I couldnt be bothered to struggle to take the tyre off the old Rigida Chrina, I know how long it took me to get it on :evil: .When I get a spare moment I'll strip out the hub and spokes then the rim will go in the scrap metal bin. Sadly I've got a brand new rim unused. If anybody wants it PM me, but be warned make sure you've got a good set of tyre levers. from memory it's about 3mm bigger on dia dont forget thats over 9mm in circumference no wonder they're tighter :roll:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I have 26" Rigida Andra rims. My Marathon Supreme tyres fit very easily.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

ferrit worrier wrote:I've just got rid of my Rigida Chrina rear wheel, and replaced it with a Mavic open sport :D the tyres just flip on with the thumbs :D . I will not be going back to Rigida of any sort. I couldnt be bothered to struggle to take the tyre off the old Rigida Chrina, I know how long it took me to get it on :evil: .When I get a spare moment I'll strip out the hub and spokes then the rim will go in the scrap metal bin. Sadly I've got a brand new rim unused. If anybody wants it PM me, but be warned make sure you've got a good set of tyre levers. from memory it's about 3mm bigger on dia dont forget thats over 9mm in circumference no wonder they're tighter :roll:

The rim I'm replacing is a Mavic open sport, which replaced an earlier Rigida Chrina. I can fit Vittoria Randonneur tyres on the Mavic open sport without tyre levers, the only time I managed to get a Vittoria Randonneur on the Rigida Chrina rim, I had to cut it off, wrecking a good tyre in the process (Actually had to cut a tyre off a Rigida Chrina rim, twice)

Which is why I'm considering a Mavic A119 as a new rim, rather than my, in many ways, preferred option (Rigida Sputnik)
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I use Vittoria CX tyres on Rigida DP18, and we are talking 'middle of the difficulty to fit scale'.
I should coco.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I'm using a Vittoria Randoneur on a Sputnik rim, and have not had any problems getting tyre on or off.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Big T wrote:I'm using a Vittoria Randoneur on a Sputnik rim, and have not had any problems getting tyre on or off.

That's what I need to know!

Is the rim a fairly recent one?
irc

Post by irc »

gbnz wrote:
irc wrote:I've had no problems with Sputniks. In fact the well seems deeper than usual making tyre fitting/removal easier.

I forgot to mention I'd be using 700mm rims

What tyres are you using?

700c rims with variously - Marathon HS368, Racer, Marathon 308, Continental Tour Ride. No issues fitting any of them.

The only niggle with the Sputniks is that some tyres are a bit reluctant to seat the bead properly. Solved by lubricating the bead and plenty pressure. I also feel that 32mm is the narrowest tyres I'd use with them as they are a wide rim.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Braking surface wear seems to be rather rapid on Chrinas also. i've just ditched a rear wheel for this reason after only two winters (using Koolstop salmons) - a lot less than I got out of the drc rims I used previously.
Big T

Post by Big T »

gbnz wrote:
Big T wrote:I'm using a Vittoria Randoneur on a Sputnik rim, and have not had any problems getting tyre on or off.

That's what I need to know!

Is the rim a fairly recent one?

Yes, fairly recent, bought about a year ago from Spa to replace the failed Alex DH19 on my Ridgeback Panorama.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev