Seatpost mount for dynamo rack light?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
EnquiringMind

Seatpost mount for dynamo rack light?

Post by EnquiringMind »

Hi,

I'm building a new bike which will not have a pannier rack, but will have a dynamo hub.

I would have thought this would be a really common thing to do, but I'm coming up blank on options to fit the Toplight Line plus I have to my seatpost. (i.e. from the large range at SJS, none are suitable).

Is anyone doing this, and if so, how?

thanks!
EnquiringMind

Re: Seatpost mount for dynamo rack light?

Post by EnquiringMind »

Hi,

Thanks, but unfortunately it's a modern frame with a small clamp in front of the seatpost.

I have thought about using something like that but combining with an ordinary tail light clamp (and just bolting right through the whole lot) but it seems a shame to kludge it when otherwise everything fits together so nicely. There's no shortage of adapters that let you mount a seatpost light through pannier rack bolt holes, but none going the other way...
pherron

Post by pherron »

It is a gap in the market to be sure. The only people who I know make one specifically are Supernova, but it only works with the Supernova front light.

I would have thought a short strip of metal and some bolts could be used to adapt a typical Cateye seatpost mount to take a rear carrier or mudguard light. A bit home made though.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The other option is to use a mudguard dynamo light, fitted to a mudguard. Or do not link up the rear light to the dynamo at all, and instead use a battery light fitted to your seatpost.
I should coco.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Standard reflector bracket with an L-plate on it?
The connection requirements are 50 or 80mm centre point holes.

The other thing to consider is the shape, and how well that would fit on the seatpost.

A light designed for a mudguard might to well, again a reflector bracket should be able to hold the lower end of the unit away from the seatpost to maintain appropriate angles.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

Why no luggage carrier?

Surely someone so sensible as to fit a hub dynamo is not going to make an ass of themselves with a rucksack? :shock:
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Or a mudguard mounted one. Surely you're not going to make a mud striped ass of yourself without mudguards :D

I've gone for a mudguard mounted one and when I'm only using a saddlebag I can take the rack off.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind »

Yes, full SKS guards but the type of light required is different (if I need to buy another light, I guess this is the way I'll go). The Line Plus is quite excellent though and it seems a shame to waste it.

Regarding panniers - I have a trailer, you see, and a bar bag. Perhaps it's foolish not to add a pannier rack also - I wouldn't have any panniers for it though, as mine have been "claimed" by my dear wife...

I've been putting off worrying about this as I'm waiting for the hubs. I've ordered a couple of Sturmey Archer ones from OldBikeTrader, and am looking forward to building the wheels a lot.

At which point I'll then need to mount the lights to get any use out of it! :|
EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind »

As a resolution to this - I got hold of a seatpost reflector mount - quite a standard sort of thing - which has a rear-facing (parallel to direction of travel) single screw hole for the reflector.

I then cut a couple of strips of plastic from a plastic tub, and drilled three holes through - one in the centre, which I used to bolt to the reflector mount, and two at the spacing of the bolts on the light (50mm IIRC). I then used the standard grip washers and nuts to attach the light to the plastic strips, and hey presto!

I'll try to post a photo when I get home, but it was not difficult and a possible advantage of the plastic is that (while it's pretty stiff, doubled up) it has a bit of flex to accommodate accidentally leaning the light on a wall and so forth.

Thanks all,
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Maybe adaptable-

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/ ... ttle_cage/

I am not sure of water bottle mount spacing, but drilling the strip, or lengthening the present hole on the longer section could look neat.

I am not sure of a UK dealer (I thought Ison distrib'd them, but not showing on their site), however, Practical has something similar (2nd from bottom)-

http://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart26.htm
g.meredith

Post by g.meredith »

Hello All.
I am looking for an adaptor that will allow me to attach a Busch Muller Toplight Linetec or a Philips Lumiring to the seatpost. (Not the seatpost clamp) Philips used to do one but no longer. Any ideas on a universal seatpost adaptor for lights with 50mm - 80mm mount spacing.
Thanks All.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Just a thought. I have a dynamo on the front (a bottle one actually) but chose a battery rear. They run for *ages* on a pair of AA cells, there is no wiring front to back and they stay on when you stop without the complexity of charging capacitors etc. Mind you mine is a a rackmount one!
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I've gone for a mudguard mounted one and when I'm only using a saddlebag I can take the rack off.

Thanks for that. I had wondered what to do on my other bike which has saddlebag but no rack. I had thought that the weight might make it vibrate on the rather springy mudguard.

Can you get one that mounts on the seatstay? With no rack and a saddlebag I think that might be better and less vulnerable than one on the 'guard.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

NetworkMan wrote:

Thanks for that. I had wondered what to do on my other bike which has saddlebag but no rack. I had thought that the weight might make it vibrate on the rather springy mudguard.

Can you get one that mounts on the seatstay? With no rack and a saddlebag I think that might be better and less vulnerable than one on the 'guard.

Doesn't rattle, but is a touch vulnerable if you have an off. Mind you mine has survived 2 years of commuting so far and a seat stay light would probably would be worse.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly