advice needed from solo trike experts.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
petzl

advice needed from solo trike experts.

Post by petzl »

I have been looking at some second hand solo touring trikes recently with a view to buying one however it is un-clear what is the largest 1st cassette sprocket that can be fitted. Quality second hand trikes are hard to come by and I have yet to find one with an 8/9 speed Shimano cassette.
Am I wasting my time searching for a second hand trike that will take a 9 speed cassette with a 1st sprocket of 34T or shall I start on a short list of which grandchild I can sell into slavery in order to ask Geoff Booker to put me on the waiting list for earliest collection, July 2012.

Thanks
Last edited by petzl on 5 Nov 2011, 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Re: advice needed from solo trike experts.

Post by tatanab »

I've measured my Longstaff. The inside of the hoop is 3" above the axle centre in line with the biggest sprocket. A 34T is 5.5" in diameter, i.e 2.75" above the axle centre which leaves 1/4" maximum for the chain to climb over. I would think that is tight and may not be workable. My Longstaff was built with standard sprocket clearance, not a racing clearance, so I reckon you can take this as the norm. It does of course take 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

I'd say that if you wanted a trike fairly quickly you should continue looking and consider a 32T sprocket since the difference in gearing is very small. I assume you want two wheel drive. There is nothing in the current issue of the Tricycle Association Gazette, but it may be worthwhile putting a wanted advertisement in for the next issue which is due around Christmas. Otherwise, get those grand children sweeping chimneys and join the queue at Trykit.
petzl

Post by petzl »

tatanab wrote:I've measured my Longstaff. The inside of the hoop is 3" above the axle centre in line with the biggest sprocket. A 34T is 5.5" in diameter, i.e 2.75" above the axle centre which leaves 1/4" maximum for the chain to climb over. I would think that is tight and may not be workable. My Longstaff was built with standard sprocket clearance, not a racing clearance, so I reckon you can take this as the norm. It does of course take 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

I'd say that if you wanted a trike fairly quickly you should continue looking and consider a 32T sprocket since the difference in gearing is very small. I assume you want two wheel drive. There is nothing in the current issue of the Tricycle Association Gazette, but it may be worthwhile putting a wanted advertisement in for the next issue which is due around Christmas. Otherwise, get those grand children sweeping chimneys and join the queue at Trykit.

I will be joining the Trike Association as soon as Alison replies to my enquiry and will be attending trike gatherings to learn about the technical bits. I am after a 2 wheel drive axle, I have looked up 2 wheeled drive axles on the internet but cannot find a detailed description and/or drawing. It would appear that George`s 2 wheel drive axle was the best one around until his death and I would like to know if Geoff`s 2 wheel drive axle is an improvement.
From your reply it would appear that your Longstaff axle has a Shimano Cassette Free hub rotor, the few trikes I have seen must have been old models as they all had freewheels with 6 or 7 sprockets.

I also want to make enquiries regarding tandem trikes, do you know if the correct forum is the Tandem Club or the Trike Association .
Thanks.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Dunno about the tandem chaps but the TA doesn't run a forum or any such thing. Its word of mouth really
petzl

Post by petzl »

mattsccm wrote:Dunno about the tandem chaps but the TA doesn't run a forum or any such thing. Its word of mouth really

Thanks.
Looks like the Tandem Club then.
Regards
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

petzl wrote:I have looked up 2 wheeled drive axles on the internet but cannot find a detailed description and/or drawing. It would appear that George`s 2 wheel drive axle was the best one around until his death and I would like to know if Geoff`s 2 wheel drive axle is an improvement.

Two wheel drive is achieved by having two sets of pawls, one for each wheel. In a corner the outside wheel (faster wheel) freewheels and the drive is on the inside wheel. PM me with a real email address and I will send you an exploded diagram that George did for his old Maillard freewheel based design.

George and Geoff collaborated on the design of the cassette based two wheel drive when Maillard parts became hard to find about 10 years ago. There are minor differences but the operation is the same and is a great improvement over the Maillard based system. If you were to acquire a Longstaff with a Maillard setup you would probably be well advised to convert it to a cassette based setup which could be done by either of the makers.

I have a cassette based Longstaff and a Maillard based Longstaff that has been converted to cassette by Geoff. Geoff did make a few Campag compatible freehubs, but now they are all Shimano. George's are all Shimano compatible, I don't think he made any for Campag cassettes.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've just measured my Rogers. It has a 3.5" hoop. I've only now realised that it has a 32 sprocket. That would explain why I have found the gears so wide; I fitted a larger chain ring (and swapped the old outer to become the inner), but didn't pay that much attention to the freewheel. As I've had it three years now, I really ought to do some maintenance :oops: but I have replaced both brakes, the bars and stem, the seat pin and the pedals, and built three new wheels in that time.

Anyway, it would easily take a 34 sprocket. I've no idea whether the hoop size is standard; the previous owner had it built for riding in the North York Moors, so it's just possible that he specified a heavy touring design or something.

Mine is a OWD, as I think tatanab knows, but I could get a Trykit TWD axle fitted, and may some time.

I've a vague recollection of seeing a tandem trike for sale somewhere recently, but I can't find it on this forum or another that I use.

Edit: still not remembered but, at risk of promoting another forum, keep an eye on this thread on YACF, where participants tip each other off about trikes (upright and recumbent) for sale.