Brake control convention

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Punk_shore

Brake control convention

Post by Punk_shore »

Hello fellow riders,
Over the last few years I have noticed an increase in electrically-powered bicycles. There has also been mention in this forum of fitting small internal combustion engines to bicycles.

Now I believe it was in the early-to-mid 1970's that the motorcycle industries of various countries standardised their layouts for riders' controls. This included having a right-hand-lever to operate the front brake. Since then, some small motorcycles have been produced with automatic transmissions and these have included a left-hand-lever for the rear brake. :D

The motorcycle convention above fits in with what I had been used to for bicycles. However, I have since found a "continental" layout with left->front and right->rear brake controls. :roll: Is this something which should be covered by a relevant Standard please?
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
mattsccm

Re: Brake control convention

Post by mattsccm »

Worms- can etc. Big argument about which hand should cover the front brake when turning etc. I prefer the British standard as it matches motrcycles. Dunno why the Euro's go the other way. This will evn descend into a debate about which brake to cover when crossing traffic, turning right etc.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

And why don't you make them Frenchies drive on the left side of the road while you are at it?
I should coco.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattsccm wrote: Dunno why the Euro's go the other way.

It all to do with turning right (for the UK) and turning left (for the continent) with regards to hand signals as its safer to brake with the rear brake for two wheeled vehicles whilst using hand signals in the middle,most vulnerable part,of the road for two wheeled vehicles.
Motorcyles can't have the clutch and throttle on the same side sothe front brake has to be on the right and the rear brake is operated by the left foot anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

reohn2 wrote:Motorcyles can't have the clutch and throttle on the same side sothe front brake has to be on the right and the rear brake is operated by the left foot anyway.

Right foot is for the rear brake, gear shift is on the left (unless your'e lucky enough to have a Vincent Black Shadow!).
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
john4703

Post by john4703 »

reohn2 wrote:
mattsccm wrote: Dunno why the Euro's go the other way.

Motorcyles can't have the clutch and throttle on the same side sothe front brake has to be on the right and the rear brake is operated by the left foot anyway.

Not always true. I used to have a BSA Bantam and the gears were on the left and the rear foot brake on the right. (Switching from a Yamaha which had gears on the right and brake on the left led to some hairy moments :o )
I have a very weak right hand due to a spinal injury so switched the brake and clutch on the Bantam, it was interesting using clutch and throttle with the same hand but it also meant that I could get enough force on my front brake to stop.
It is probably safer to have a standard for which side each brake is on a bike but is also very easy to swop over brake cables to suit the rider.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tooley92 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Motorcyles can't have the clutch and throttle on the same side sothe front brake has to be on the right and the rear brake is operated by the left foot anyway.

Right foot is for the rear brake, gear shift is on the left (unless your'e lucky enough to have a Vincent Black Shadow!).

Oops my mistake!(can't tell my left from my right :oops: )should've remembered,all gearing on the one side and all brakes on the other :)
Funny you should mention the Vinnie I've seen two in as many weeks one was a Black Shadow the other a Comet :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

There is a requirement, but it applies only at the point of sale.

For a previous debate, and to avoid covering old ground again, try this thread.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

See the message above. Can of worms.
And the idea of safer braking. I always cover the front brake.Its safer.
shall we now tal :lol: k about the weather?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Left hand lever, left hand brake.
Right hand lever, right hand brake.
Friction lever low on left bars, rear brake (handbrake).

Oh, you mean on a bike ;) I have my right hand do my front brake, but only through habit - I agree with Sheldon, that I should be able to indicate across a road and still brake effectively.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.