Rim thickness

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jackg

Rim thickness

Post by jackg »

I measured the thickness of the Mavic Open 4CD rims using external calipers and a vernier.
Front 0.80mm.
Rear 1.2mm
So the front need replacing, I inflated the tyre (Continental GP) to 12 bar to test the integrity of the rim and nothing went boom.
8 bar max pressure for the tyre.

What is the thickness of a new rim?
And can someone recommend a similar rim, Mavic Open pro is one I saw.

Front wheel pic: Image
JonMcD

Re: Rim thickness

Post by JonMcD »

jackg wrote:
What is the thickness of a new rim?

As a rough guide it depends on how lightweight the rims are. On a couple of Mavic Open Pros I bought about 5 years ago I measured 1.3mm on one side and 1.5 mm on the other for both rims. These weighed 435g each. At the other end of the spectrum I measured 2.0 mm for some Rigida Alesa Endeavours that weighed 680g.
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

Open Pro is the direct successor to Open4. I do know someone who blew the lip off what looked like a fairly new one (maybe he just cleans his bike more than I do . . . .) - the day before I had heard the wheel making a rhythmic creaking throughout an Audax and even though his rear mudguard was wonky it didn't appear to be rubbing. I quite like DRC rims - I have a couple of pairs of 22mm width not their Open Pro equivalent. Availablity not as widespread as Mavic.
PW

Post by PW »

The DRC equivalent of the Open Pro is the ST17. I've been using them since 2004, the only one to be scrapped was the result of No1 Son trying to bunny hop a pothole at 30+mph. No worn out brake tracks yet.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
jackg

Post by jackg »

Thanks for your comments, I did a search and found this interesting web site on wheels, with this page on manufacturers:
http://www.dcrwheels.co.uk/products/manufacturers/

I will look for Ambrosio excellence.