Schwalbe Marathon: no more Kevlar?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
beneix

Schwalbe Marathon: no more Kevlar?

Post by beneix »

First post on this forum so hope to get this right...

I was looking to buy a pair of Schwalbe Marathon, but looking at various retailer web sites it looks like the 2011 Marathon no longer has the previous Kevlar layer, but instead just a thinner layer of the same dense rubber layer that the Marathon Plus has ("Green Guard"). However, the Schwalbe UK web site still mentions Kevlar. The global Schwalbe site doesn't. Forgive me for being confused...does anyone here have an authoritative answer? Should I pick up the Kevlar version now while some retailers still has it in stock?
snibgo

Re: Schwalbe Marathon: no more Kevlar?

Post by snibgo »

Welcome to the forum.

Like everyone, Schwalbe keep changing their products. Watch out for the product numbers. According to the US website, HS368 has KevlarGuard but HS420 has GreenGuard. schwalbe.co.uk doesn't currently respond.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Spa cycles still have the original type of Marathon and they're only 11 quid each. They have kevlar.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
beneix

Post by beneix »

pete75 wrote:Spa cycles still have the original type of Marathon and they're only 11 quid each. They have kevlar.

Thanks -- unfortunately they don't have the size I need -- 700x40 or 700x38. Some other retailers still do, though. I suppose I was asking two questions:

1. Am I right that Schwalbe has removed Kevlar from its Marathon tyres?
2. Is there a consensus that this is a bad thing?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beneix wrote:.......... I suppose I was asking two questions:

1. Am I right that Schwalbe has removed Kevlar from its Marathon tyres?
2. Is there a consensus that this is a bad thing?

1.I don't know,but the new "Greenguard" which is yellow (thats not confusing now is it?) will probably make for a more deadened ride,for anyone who's ridden M+ they'll know what I mean.

2.IMHO its a bad thing they've stuck "GreenYellow guard" in a tyre that was IME very puncture ressistant in the first place.The H308 was a great tyre that lasted,the H368 was also a great tyre which didn't last as long :? "creative manufacturing" IMHO.M+ is overkill and I suspect "colourguard" is too :twisted:
I'll be buying few H308's and/or H368's before looking for an alternative tandem tyre.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
beneix

Post by beneix »

OK, thanks for that input. I've bought myself a pair of classic Marathons, 2010 model, from SJS. It is now confirmed: in the 2011 model they've switched the Kevlar protection for the rubber stuff from the M+s. Not sure why Schwalbe product development feel the need to tinker every year (like when they discontinued the eminent XRs). I should be covered for a while now given the durability of the Ms and my low annual mileage :)
cadseen

Post by cadseen »

Puncture proof = Specialized Armadillo :D No contest
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

This sounds worrying. Is anyone able to report from experience what the new Marathons are actually like?

I've been riding them for several years now, and I'm about to switch from 27" to 700C wheels on my tourer so I was going to just go out and buy a pair of 700Cx32 Marathons from my LBS which keeps them in stock, but maybe I should think again.

I use Marathon+ on my commuting bike, which are just the business for short rides at moderate speed, but I agree they don't give as good a ride as the plain Marathons.

Anyone able to comment on other tyres which might be competition or candidates for replacements, available in 700Cx32? What about the Conti Touring Plus, or Specialized Inifinity Armadillo, for example? I am looking for an all-round tyre which gives decent performance on the road but can handle poorly surfaced lanes, tracks and paths too.

Peter
beneix

Post by beneix »

peterh11 wrote:This sounds worrying. [...]
I was going to just go out and buy a pair of 700Cx32 Marathons from my LBS which keeps them in stock, but maybe I should think again.

Don't panic. Several retailers still have stock of the 2010 tyre. Buy some now even if you don't need them for a while, that's what I did.

I'd also be interested in reports from anyone already using the 2011, non-Kevlar, Marathon.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I haven't even seen a new Marathon with the rubbery bit yet....has anybody else?
The clue is in the model numbers, as posted by "Snibgo" second post on the thread.

Oh....beaten to it!
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I had some Marathons (none Plus) which said "Kevlar" on the outside. I replaced them recently with Marathon Plus which does not say "Kevlar" on the outside. These, according to the bumph which came with them, have the thick rubber layer. I am going to assume Schwalbe know what they are up to and trust they work.

They were a swine to fit until I read about the trick of using cable ties. I used 3 - at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock with the valve at 12 o'clock being the last place to fit the tyre onto. The last one I fitted slid on without the use of any tyre levers.
beneix

Post by beneix »

BeeKeeper wrote:I had some Marathons (none Plus) which said "Kevlar" on the outside. I replaced them recently with Marathon Plus

How are you finding the difference in terms of ride/feel and rolling resistance on road?
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

It is difficult to compare as I've inflated them to 85 psi which makes the ride much harder than before as I ran the other tyres softer. The reason for the high pressure is it supposed to reduce the chances of punctures.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

BeeKeeper wrote:It is difficult to compare as I've inflated them to 85 psi which makes the ride much harder than before as I ran the other tyres softer. The reason for the high pressure is it supposed to reduce the chances of punctures.

Oh dear we're back to that one again,if put more air my tyres I won't get a puncture :? ,it deosn't work!
You're M+'s have 5mm of rubberised material between innertube and road thats what stops the punctures not higher PSI.s.
M+'s are heavy and unyeilding and ride like a pig,similar to solid tyres,which are OK if you're riding over broken glass and tack strewn roads everyday but mostly people aren't.
Marathon H308'sand H368'S do a very good job of puncture resistance and the ride quality is a whole lot better.The new Marathons will be(its a good bet)somewhere between H368's and M+'s.
H368's are/were a good product for touring and tandem use,the ride quality is middle of the range if it becomes anymore stodgy I'll look elsewhere.
There was little need to change the original H308's IMO but I suspect theres a lot of marketing been going on at Schwalbe and little thought for the actual customer :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Odd then that Schwalbe in their technical stuff say:

"Only tires with sufficient inflation pressure can bear the weight of a
bicycle. The following applies for the road: The higher the inflation
pressure the lower the rolling resistance of the tire. The susceptibility to
punctures is also lower with high pressure."

But what do they know?

However, the point about a hard ride is relevant. At 85 psi I can run over a pennny and know if it is heads or tails. I hit a water-filled pot hole on Sunday and nearly broke my wrists with the shock. Whatever it does for puntures I am going to let some air out I think.