What is "road buzz"

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CREPELLO

Re: What is "road buzz"

Post by CREPELLO »

kenem wrote:The most important aspect of vibration damping, by far, is tyre choice and pressure.

I'd add to that rim choice. Too wide for your preffered tyre and the ride is definately harsher. Tyres that also roll better are probably more compliant > less likely to transmit that road buzz. I would single out Marathons for being quite harsh, due to their stiff side walls.

Regarding touring frames (steel, for I've not ridden other), they tend to be over-engineered for light loaded day rides. Fully loaded, they do soak up the rough much better, but can be less forgiving than a genuine light-weight steel bike IMO. I reckon this is more the case with modern tourers. Older Galaxys would often be described as a bit whippy; not so my old (deceased) 2002 Gal. Particularly with Marathon's fitted.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

CREPELLO wrote:Regarding touring frames (steel, for I've not ridden other), they tend to be over-engineered for light loaded day rides. Fully loaded, they do soak up the rough much better, but can be less forgiving than a genuine light-weight steel bike IMO. I reckon this is more the case with modern tourers. Older Galaxys would often be described as a bit whippy; not so my old (deceased) 2002 Gal. Particularly with Marathon's fitted.
This all makes sense to me.

My frame is steel lightweight and not a tourer by any means. It's flexible and shock absorbing without any load, and so I hated using panniers on it. It felt like a tank, not the lightweight and springy bike it should have been. That's maybe why I like to tow a trailer - best of everything.
Mick F. Cornwall
kenem

Post by kenem »

kenem wrote:The most important aspect of vibration damping, by far, is tyre choice and pressure.

CREPELLO wrote:I'd add to that rim choice. Too wide for your preffered tyre and the ride is definately harsher. Tyres that also roll better are probably more compliant > less likely to transmit that road buzz. I would single out Marathons for being quite harsh, due to their stiff side walls.

The Marathon Supreme has supple side walls and is a really nice ride - but maybe not durable enough for real touring.