Repair/overhaul Blackburn Track Pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BenG

Repair/overhaul Blackburn Track Pump

Post by BenG »

My faithful high-milage Blackburn TP1 track pump is blowing from the assembly behind the pressure gauge. Blackburn USA advise returning it to the retailer but I have no supplier loyalty and I buy wherever and whenever I get best value. Can't remember where I got it because it must be 10 years ago, maybe more, and I don't keep receipts that long. Importers Madison won't deal with me - must go through a retailer. So far all Blackburn agencies I've spoken to want proof of purchase. One has advised that leaking from connections after 10 years is fair wear and tear and not a manufacturering defect so Blackburns "lifetime guarantee" may not apply anyway. Have seen rebuild kits on various web sites but these all appear to be only for replacement twist head parts for the valve end of the hose - I want to overhaul the other end. Seems a great shame to junk it - anybody got any advice. Thanks - Ben Garner. bandagarner@talktalk.net
prm

Re: Repair/overhaul Blackburn Track Pump

Post by prm »

I believe quite a few brands use almost identical gauge and hose connector set up. Possibly ?? Blackburn.

It could be just a small O ring at the base of the gauge assembly that’s deteriorated.

Try unscrewing the gauge bezel. The window and preset pointer should also come free.
If you look at the main body, there could be an inner casing adjacent to the outer edge. This is the gauge housing.

The gauge housing is a push fit into the main body, with an O ring located on a male spigot at the rear, acting as a seal.

You maybe able to remove the gauge by blocking the tyre connector/s with the palm of your hand, and forcing the T handle down.
Gauge may just pop out. If difficult? Use two very small blade screwdrivers between inner and outer casings, working around the edge, levering upwards slightly.

O ring size maybe????? Approx… ID. 4.8 mm… OD 8.5…...1.9 mm Wall thickness. Material, approx 60-80 Hardness.

Lube new O ring. Align the gauge and press the gauge casing into the main housing.
Bezel, window and pointer, clamp the gauge housing into position.

Hope this may help.

Regards
drossall

Post by drossall »

Sorry to highjack the thread, but I have a track pump with a screw-fit head. I'd like to replace that with a push-fit head with a clamp lever. Are they available as spares?
prm

Post by prm »

Several of the later type pumps have hose fittings very similar to garden hose quick connectors, with a 90° swivel onto the pump body.

If your hose connection is slightly different from below?? Cut existing, and join both new and old hoses together.
You might find an old Schrader or Presta valve body makes a suitable connector.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17921

Regards
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've ordered that, thanks.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

A workmate had a Blackburn and just replaced it with a Giant control tower as he never liked the Blackburn. The Giant pump has the gauge at the top so it is easy to see.

I've got an air compressor, much easier :)