Sturmey Archer Virgin

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Chuck Glider

Sturmey Archer Virgin

Post by Chuck Glider »

So, for a tenner I've just acquired an old Triumph Traffic Master 20 bike with a Sturmey Archer AW hub (it's a Raleigh Twenty under a Triumph badge). The hub is stamped 78-12. It's a dirty old bike that has LOADS of potential. When I wiped the hub with a finger, the chrome was gratifyingly shiny underneath the dust! :mrgreen: Ooh, look at that I thought. That was worth a tenner on it's own.

Now, it has this dangly chain thingy hanging out the end of the cylindrical hub nut. There's a knackered plastic cap thingy too, which doesn't seem to do much apart from fall off now and then. No cable, but the bars sport an old style trigger. On inspection, it has a keyhole style slot on the side opposite the thumb lever.

Here's my first question.

1. What cable set do I need to buy and how do I fit it and adjust it to make the thing work! I've already tried pulling the dangly chain thingy by hand, and it does seem to shift into a lower gear. But I can hardly stand there and hold the dangly chain thingy while I sit on the saddle and pedal at the same time, can I :oops:

Second Q:

2. There's a flip top lid on the hub, just like a hatch on a submarine (but a lot smaller!). Obviously, to put oil in. But, what kind of oil should I put in it, how much and how often? And how do I get it in there? It's a really small hole, seems to need a "hypodeemic nerdle" fangled oil can, but I have no such thing knocking around.

Third Q:

3. What about that plastic cap thingy? What on earth is it for? Should I replace it and if so why and how and where from?

Last Q:

4. There's no marking on the thumb lever. It clearly had a sticky label on it in the past. I could make my own sticker, but is it possible to buy a sticky label for it somewhere.

Thanks mucho in advance. This is actually quite exciting - I've been a derailleur man all my life. This is completely new for me.

GOING RETRO! :D
fossil

Re: Sturmey Archer Virgin

Post by fossil »

have a look in togglechaintour bikes secction
this is where the 3 speed sturmey archer's hide
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

In the tea shop? That's an enormous thread. I'll read it, but if anyone can answer my four leetle questions, that'd be really helpful. Thanks.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

1. cable from http://oldbiketrader.co.uk/
1b. so when the trigger's in the middle position, the end of the indicator is flush with the end of the axle - when the indicator and toggle chain is screwed in finger tight and turned back 1/2 turn

2. sae 30

3. to prtect the togglechain from damage when leant against a wall, again, buy from above.

4. again, above, ebay or don't bother buying one.
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

One squirt of motor-oil into the hub about once a month should keep the hub going. A little more often if you ride it all the time.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Ah, Hartley, wonderful website: Are you the one who first said that the Raleigh Twenty, to a bike nut, is like a blank canvas on which to create some art? I agree with that sentiment! 8)

So here's a silly question - how do I hold the indictor/toggle chain in order to screw it or unscrew it? I don't want to damage it, so there must be a "best way". Thanks.

I'll give it a squirt, check out the serial number and try to date the bike. I was originally going to do just minimal work and sell her for a quick buck, but over the last few days, she's completely captured my imagination, so I've got bigger plans now.... including if I get time, to blog about the project.
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

Just hold it by the chain and screw it in extremely gently. When it bottoms out, turn it back a half or quarter-turn before attaching it to the adjuster barrel.

I don't know if I said that line about the Raleigh Twenty being a bike-nut's blank canvas, but it sounds good, so I'm going to use it someday.
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Managed to unscrew the indicator with no problems. Also, just wanted to report that oldbiketrader.co.uk have been fantastic, and it was great to talk things over with Derek there. When the parts arrive, I try it all out and report back.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Give it a good shot of oil to free things up, but expect leaks. Add no more oil until the leaks have stopped (give it a month or so of use) then 1-2 drops per month is sufficient. They only retain an oil film on the parts, and sometimes a teaspoonful in the bottom if the threads are nicely gummed up.
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Just to report back on this.

For less than £2, I purchased 5 disposable pipettes (a plethora of them are available via ebay). They work beautifully as a squirter for injecting car engine oil in the hub. Then, acting on advice from Derek at oldbiketrader.co.uk and those online by Sheldon (bike god) Brown, I removed and cleaned up the indicator, refitted it, fitted a new cable, adjusted the tension until the gear changes were satisfactory.

All in all, very easy! Now I need to fit a new chain (the existing one has stretched).
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

I expect photos and a full report sent to raleightwenty@hotmail.com within the next 3 days please.

Also, would you mind taking something nicely posed or a little arty for my website? I'm starting to run short on material for cover photos.
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Hi Hartley,

I've started blogging about it - and I've posted lots of photos to my blog site here:

http://workingoncycles.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Chuck
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Another question about the Sturmey Archer AW:

When I squirt oil in the hub, obviously it lubes the inner workings of the tin can, but does it also lube the axle bearings?
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

When I were a lad, we didn't have fancy pipettes, just a can of 3-in-1.

The trick to oiling the hub was:
- put the bike upside-down
- remove the cap from the oil hole
- rotate the wheel so the hole is at the bottom
- insert the can between the spokes below the hub to put the spout in the hole
- spin the wheel and oil can 180 degrees so the spout points downwards into the hole
- squeeze the can slightly to get some oil out
- reverse the above

Probably useless information, but just thought you'd like to know.

Dunno where the oil got to. All over me, mostly.
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

What a delightful story. I can just imagine a young lad doing that!

But does anyone know the answer? Does the oil get into the hub axle bearing? Or should it be dismantled ( :shock: ) in order to grease the axle bearings/cones?

Thanks in advance to you Sturmey Archer experts!