Nice Restoration project that my Dad took up (Eclipse)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Re: Nice Restoration project that my Dad took up.

Post by JohnW »

I had a 1979 Pennine refurbed by Chris Marshall a couple of years ago - it was like jewellery when I brought it home and I never went out on it in wet weather. Contemporary parts are still obtainable if you know here to look.

Early in the new year a motorist ran into the back of me and wrote the frame off (he also broke my leg, but that's mended now) - frames like that are irreplaceable now, of course,, it had history and sentiment attached.

My 1981 Pennine frame is with Chris Marshall now, for similar refurbishment.

The Campag Rally rear changer is a bit of a period piece - I had one in about 1978/9. The one in the photo looks brand new. The brakes and chainset look contemporary with the rear changer. The Campag front changer on the bike was in production at least from before 1975 to the early nineties to my knowledge and was the best changer for double chainsets that I ever tried..........and I could never wear one out.

Personally I'd try to find the frame's pedigree and obtain correct transfers. - but that's just me.

Good for your dad.
robert11

Post by robert11 »

swanonctc wrote:
mattraisin wrote:A scan would be great whenever you can, thank you.

I will get on to my dad to see if he can remember when and where he bought it, I'm sure he can. I know it was expensive as he bought it on insurance money received after his old bike was stolen and he claimed individually for the many upgrades he had bought for it plus the total cost of the bike originally. I can not find a thing on the internet. Local bike shop owner believed it was most probably an own brand.

New to this Forum. I noticed your reply about an "Eclipse countryman" Do you have the manual or a pdf? I need to know the chainring sizes. Ta Dave

I can not remember what the standard chainring sizes were on a stronglight 99 chain-set . (38-48?) The reason that chains-et was used though was that it was one of the few chain-sets with a large range and ready availability of ring sizes.
We often changed them to smaller rings than standard so I would not worry about making it original.
plega

Post by plega »

My wife and I both bought Eclipse Countrymen from Bike UK in the mid/late 80s. Great bikes, though I've had mine resprayed since then. Both continue to give good service.
guybagnall

Post by guybagnall »

Hi Robert - I have an ancient 'Eclipse' bought from the Charing Cross cellars in the 80s. I had the choice of no decals, which I took to make it less stealable, which may have helped.

I still have the original BIKE UK mini tool kit - 3 Allen keys and an 8/9mm 'derailleur spanner - photo attached - branded Andrew Hague (who also did the carrier - since replaced) - which may bring back memories!

Mine is metallic silver (very 80s), 531 tube and forks, frame no: 060855, Suntour rear forks, Suntour Cyclone M II derailleurs, SR Super Custom chainset, GB handlebars and forged stem, Wolber Model 58 rims, Campagnolo Gran Sport hubs, Christophe Special toe clips, Berthet Lyortard pedals, Suntour gear levers, Weinmann Vainquer 750 rear/610 front centre-pull brakes, and Brooks B17 saddle (a replacement).

I would like to get the decals for it - my bike is metallic silver (very 80s) and it just occurred to me whether they did the decals in black as well as white - would you have seen any other colours but white? Any idea who might have made the frame with that serial no - I guess the last three digits suggest it was made May 1985?

Would that spec make it a 'Countryman''?

robert11 wrote:Hi.
I worked as a mechanic at the Charring Cross branch (and later all branches and then Mosquito) of BikeUk just after this bike was replaced with the new version.

This was the top of the line <SNIP>
Last edited by guybagnall on 25 Apr 2020, 12:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
guybagnall

Post by guybagnall »

BIKE UK Andrew Hague toolkit
BIKE UK Andrew Hague toolkit