Do alloy saddle rails break easily?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
drjones

Do alloy saddle rails break easily?

Post by drjones »

Am looking at getting a Sell Itallia XO AM. I like everything about it apart from the fact that the rails are alloy - "fec alloy". Are alloy rails ok for long distance touring? My understanding is that alloy is weaker than cromo and not easily repairable. Does anyone have alloy rails - any problems? Ever seen them break?

Regards, and thanks!!
Last edited by drjones on 8 Jan 2007, 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
drjones

Post by drjones »

Appologies for the almost unreadable post there; am rushing things a bit!!

THanks again.
Graham

Post by Graham »

hi dr,
You should be able to edit your post(s) if you need . . . see the little icon in the top right-hand corner. Let me know if you don't see it.
Si

Post by Si »

DrJones, cromo is an alloy - are you sure that you don't mean "Alu"?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you do mean aluminium rails,I can't see them being stronger than steel ie CroMo rails.I've broken a couple of steel railed saddles and bent the rails of one other,all good quality saddles(one Brooks pro, one Rolls and the bent one was an Avocet)but this is due to I believe a combination of setting the saddle(s) as far back as possible on the seat pin(I have long thighs) and wieghing 13st.The cantilever effect and being a heavy rider causing the rails to break just behind the seat pin clamp.I have solved (I hope)the problem by now using a seat pin with more set back therebye clamping the rails more centrally.
I dare say if you are a light rider and and the seat clamp is central then any decent saddle should be OK.I would think there would be some kind of testing done by the manufacturer.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Hi
May be some confusion due to common careless use of the word "alloy". If the manufacturer has advertised the product correctly "FEC Alloy" probably means steel. Maybe, just maybe, FEC translates to- iron (FE) Chrome (C) so the rails are a chromoly which is fine.
Aluminium is a very soft base metal (al) and is not an alloy. It usually is combined (alloyed) with specific other constituents, to make it usuable on bikes etc., THEN it becomes an "aluminium alloy".
Steel is ALWAYS an alloy; it is iron alloyed with other goodies, just as the base aluminium is, to give desired qualities.
I wouldn't buy a seat with aluminium or al alloy, as either way it is not a good material to use as a spring, where steel or titanium are.
I have probably confused you so I will go away now.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Agreed. Ti or Carbon.
jammy_craig

Re: Do alloy saddle rails break easily?

Post by jammy_craig »

I don't believe the way they label these...I have a saddle with this "FeC alloy" description. It seems to me to be deliberate misinformation. I think what they are actually describing was (Fe= Iron, C= carbon) ie. carbon steel! Ordinary, plain carbon steel. From the cheapness of the saddle I am sure this is right. I dont like the way most internet sellers just include the manufacturers confusing description. I think they just put in these chemical abbreviations to make people think it is somehow more advanced...like the way they wanna call water H2O. I'm sure the alloy confusion is cause "alloy" just sounds like "alu". Alloy is perfectly described in a previous post...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup, FeC alloy = steel.

my favourite saddle rails are FEC...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Better than aluminium alloy for saddle rails anyway.