Hub gear strip/build video

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GrahamNR17

Hub gear strip/build video

Post by GrahamNR17 »

There's been much chat about hub gears lately, so I thought I'd stick a video on YouTube a guide to sripping the things down and shoving them back together afterwards. Hope it proves useful if you've never done one before.

I'll add others over the next few weeks on specific parts such as pawl springs etc, re-lubing sealed units and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc

Graham
Last edited by GrahamNR17 on 13 Feb 2010, 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark a.

Re: Hug gear strip/build video

Post by mark a. »

Thank you! That was ace. I might well be coming back to this later in the year. Very useful and well filmed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wonderful. Good vid and well produced.
Thank you!

How did you get the hub so clean? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Mick F wrote:Wonderful. Good vid and well produced.
Thank you!

How did you get the hub so clean? :wink:

Gunk, of course :lol:
PH

Re: Hub gear strip/build video

Post by PH »

Very clear, thanks.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Great stuff. Only took one apart once many years ago, took me about x25 longer than your sequence. Looking forward to further instalments.

Anyone fancy a Rohloff stripdown?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

brilliant graham - i especially like the gymnastics with the old tinkering stick at 7:30 :lol:

years ago, i managed the strip down bit, but didn't have the for-thought to arrange the bits in a logical order, so it's still in bits in a tupperware. no real loss though, as it's a 28 holer...and i'm not one for low spoke counts and would never ride a shopper, so it was surpluss anyhow.

however, with the help of your vid, i'll be dismantling, cleaning and re-greasing a whole fleet now :mrgreen:

thanks again, have you emailed marco at hubstripping to let him know? i'm sure his audience would love it
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:...no real loss though, as it's a 28 holer...and i'm not one for low spoke counts and would never ride a shopper, so it was surpluss anyhow.

Rebuild it but don't put it in the shell, that way you have a spare ready to insert when one of the others needs a service. The hole count was the only difference, inside they're all the same. Or donate it to my diminishing spares bin 8)

have you emailed marco at hubstripping to let him know? i'm sure his audience would love it

No, he doesn't appear to have contact details :? Assuming you mean the wordpress.hubstripping.com ?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

glueman wrote:Anyone fancy a Rohloff stripdown?

Yes, shall I send you my address so you can donate a hub? :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just hang on a few years after Shimano corner the market, and you'll find them being dumped at your local tip!
Perhaps Shimano could introduce a "Scrappage Scheme"?
Mick F. Cornwall
glueman

Post by glueman »

If you build your own wheels do you put brass washers on a steel SA hub to fill the spoke curve? I never had any probs on a roadster but I know tourists did.
Amazingly long-lived things those SAs. Is it a case of buying up donor corpses for future Frankenstein projects or are spares still available for the innards?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

glueman wrote: Is it a case of buying up donor copses or are spares still available for the innards?

Spares are very easy to come by, LBSs that stock them are not. There's a good few ebay sellers that routinely have them though, my fave being the famous Issy :wink:
glueman

Post by glueman »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Spares are very easy to come by, LBSs that stock them are not. There's a good few ebay sellers that routinely have them though, my fave being the famous Issy :wink:

Thanks for that. Had a quick look through fleabay and most stuff seems to be available. The old metal triggers are thin on the ground but a few plastic ones still about.
I can almost hear the hub ticking.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Rebuild it but don't put it in the shell, that way you have a spare ready to insert when one of the others needs a service. The hole count was the only difference, inside they're all the same. Or donate it to my diminishing spares bin 8)

i've got one or two spare inners. if you want this one, PM me your address :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:he doesn't appear to have contact details :? Assuming you mean the wordpress.hubstripping.com ?

perhaps at the bottom of this page?
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/3-5-8 ... ey-archer/