iPhone mount and power

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cavemud

Re: iPhone mount and power

Post by Cavemud »

In reply to WM

I've just had a conversation with a few colleagues who own i-phones, and it seems that i-phone may put a gizmo in their charge leads to stop people buying and using cheaper versions (seems to tie in with what you are saying in your latest post).

The circuit I have proposed simply provides a 4.5v dc output from which the vast majority of electronic gadgets can charge, however I have never owned an i-phone which is maybe why I havent encountered this problem.

There is possibly a simple way to find out though:

There are devices that are fairly common nowadays that plug into the cigarette lighter of your car and provide a usb socket. USB charger leads can then plug into this socket to charge. Just like my method, there is no data connection here, just a DC voltage. Therefore, if your i-phone won't charge via one of these units then it won't charge from my circuit. Similar products are also available that charge from the mains.

I've just googled this and found the following link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/ind ... 39602.html

Does your have 3GS?

Quote from above link "3GS won't start charging unless it detects a data connection (via usb) as well as the correct power voltage. My old usb car charger adapter only supplies voltage to the usb power, not data, for obvious reasons. But the iPhone won't accept the juice"

Why on earth would apple do this? This can only be a way of forcing users to buy only apple products.

So in summary, it would seem that if you have a phone that is '3GS' then the circuit discussed wouldn't work....... shame...
wm

Post by wm »

Rats it is a 3GS. I wonder ifthe Dahon product even works with it then.

Good thing I didn't go into Macro today and buy the bits.
wm

Post by wm »

Mark_w

I agree if they describe something as weatherproof it means it isn't good enough to be called waterproof. I guess that's a compromise with the convenience of being able to put itinerary an take it out. I have seen some iPhone cases for swimmers which I am fairly sure would be up to standard but it would almost be cheaper to buy a new iPhone each time I went out in the rain (I am not adair weather only cyclist either) so you get the idea they are expensive.

Hmm this idea islooking less and less like a good one.
sirrobertsmith

Post by sirrobertsmith »

I've just ordered a KEMO M172 - cost £25
http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Home/H ... ini-B-.php