Spoke help

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
weta

Spoke help

Post by weta »

I'm trying (without much success) to identify the spoke shown in the dashed box.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

AlanN

Re: Spoke help

Post by AlanN »

Hi,
I have many of this type in the cupboard and I used to buy them from Whiskers. What make though, that's more of a problem as I have repacked the lot into different containers. I remember that they came by the gross in green boxes and I think they were manufactured by ACI.

Possible evidence in this link. Note the S logo on the box. http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b66s156p531&rs=gb

Alan.
meic

Post by meic »

I have the spokes in the previous post and they have A for Alpina stamped on the head.

The sapim strongs on the other hand (also from Spa) have the S stamped on the end.
Yma o Hyd
weta

Post by weta »

The wheels were originally purchased from Whiskers in the mid 90's so they could well be ACI spokes. I've also called Whiskers who said ACI was a good bet.
I've tried DT Swiss Competition double butted spokes and they're too tight around the flange, from what I've read ACI are a better fit on Compagnolo hubs.

The odd thing is that I contacted both Sapim and Alpina Raggi direct and both companies said the example I sent them was not one of their products.
Sapim: "No idea. I don’t think that it is a Sapim spoke. We normally don’t make ID’s in the head."
Alpina: "I’m sorry but this is not our production."

The other thing I've noticed is that my spoke is 90 degs at the end while the later spokes are more open, around 110 degs which causes an additional problem.
meic

Post by meic »

I apologise,

I just went and checked in the workshop.

The Sapims have SAP stamped along the spoke near the shoulder and nothing on the head.

All the ACIs do have an A on the head as I said before.
Yma o Hyd
weta

Post by weta »

meic: There's no need to apologise, your help is greatly appreciated.
AlanN: You were right, they're made by ACI and called the "S" brand.

My next question, does anyone have ten in silver they would like to sell me?
(ACI "S" brand, double butted 2.0/1.7/2.0, 278mm long with 12mm brass nipples)

Thanks
weta

Post by weta »

I'm struggling to find anyone with the correct spoke length (unless I order a box), the rearest I can find is 282mm, I need 278mm.
I'm concerned that I'll run out of thread when I tighten the spokes, is it ok to shorten the spoke and extend the thread?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

CYCLEBASKET are listing 280mm ACI Alpina DB - which I'm sure will have S Brand on the box. If that helps?

What rim and hub combination are you using?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
weta

Post by weta »

Campagnolo Daytona hubs and Campagnolo Atlanta 1996 (622 x 13c) rims.
Not the latest and greatest, however I'm still very happy with them. Thanks for the link.