Carry Freedom trailer - resurrection report

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Carry Freedom trailer - resurrection report

Post by Mick F »

I’ve fixed my Carry Freedom trailer!

Just taken two concrete blocks for a ride - 10 miles into Tavistock and back. Quite a few hills I might add, no easy walk in the park. The trailer performed brilliantly, and so did my new hitch.
Concrete Blocks.JPG

The new axles were fitted yesterday afternoon, and I set their positions by using the wheel hubs. I dismantled the wheels because I knew that the bare hubs would be more easy to deal with as the chassis and axles were cross drilled. I’ve fitted 4mm nuts and bolts and also Loctite-ed the axles in place. It was very important to get the length correct. The axles will never release themselves now. They are in forever, but it may be possible to remove them by undoing the nuts and bolts and then using brute force.

I re-built the wheels - easy as they are radially spoked - pushed them on and tightened the wheel nuts. This is the first of the improvements. The standard way of fitting the axles relies on the little balls engaging inside the chassis, so you always end up with a little end-float on the wheels. This makes them rattle. My way, the axles are solidly held, and the wheel nut can be tightened quite tightly. The wheel bearing inners are held against the nut and the chassis allowing the outers to rotate freely. No rattle!
Old Hitch 1.JPG
Old Hitch 2.JPG

The new hitch is very different to the old one. The old one relied on a universal joint system that pivoted on a short bolt. It was prone to rattling and loosening. It was suggested on here that I try a tap washer between the bits of the joint, and I must admit it was a vast improvement.
New Hitch 1.JPG
New Hitch 2.JPG

The new hitch relies on a flexible piece of “plastic” or “elastomer”. It looks just like a piece of red plastic, but it is flexible and bendable. This allows a “universal” movement in many different directions, it also acts as a damper to vibrations. It works a treat.

The downside is that the bit that fits to your bike is a little big. Super in use, but a little incongruous just to leave it there without the trailer. I always left the old hitch in position, but I’ll think again with this one. It looks like it could catch an ankle quite badly when pushing the bike.
New Hitch 3.jpg

I’m glad to be back on the road, and look forward to shopping trips and perhaps a tour in the spring.

Anyway, over to you.
Any questions?
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Re: Carry Freedom trailer - resurrection report

Post by toontra »

Thanks for the hitch report Mick!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Without searching back through earlier threads, am I right in thinking that where the new hitch fastens to the back wheel axle, the original version clamped onto the chainstay?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've got the origial hitch and it's held on the back axle.

Good report on the trailer mods, Mick.
I thinking of doing the same mods to my trailer as I ride with it empty ~95% of the time and thats when it at its most noisy.

Luck ......... :D
byegad

Post by byegad »

thirdcrank wrote:Without searching back through earlier threads, am I right in thinking that where the new hitch fastens to the back wheel axle, the original version clamped onto the chainstay?

My 2007 version has a bit of bent metal held by the QR on the back wheel.

Mick! Are you happy the rubber joiner will be up to the job? I'd imagine twisting and age will give it a finite service life.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thirdcrank:
The old hitch is as on Barbarella - above.

Byegad:
Am I happy? So far, yes, but it's not very far. Nick (Mr Carry Freedom) has spent ages working on this new hitch, I expect he knows what he's talking about.
(a few of excerpts from his emails to me)
I have recently introduced a new style of hitch for the trailer.
This is quieter stronger and more reliable than the original, and available to existing trailer owners for 15GBP.
The new hitch is extremely effective, I think you will be impressed by it.

Also, a picture he sent me when he was told of my plan for two concrete blocks!
Prototype Lollypop Overview.JPG
He says this is 150kg! My two concrete blocks were only 37Kg, but he didn't have to tow it up the Devon and Cornwall hills!

Forgot to mention: the new hitch is called the Lollypop Hitch.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Interesting* bit of cycling trivia: I think the grey bike shown towing the chunk of rockery is an army surplus folding bike. One of my school chums had one in the original khaki paint and he could ride it and fold it at the same time.

* Or boring, depending on POV :oops:
Si

Post by Si »

thirdcrank wrote:Interesting* bit of cycling trivia: I think the grey bike shown towing the chunk of rockery is an army surplus folding bike. One of my school chums had one in the original khaki paint and he could ride it and fold it at the same time.

Have 5 points :D
(I was about to ask what it was)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well spotted TC!

I never really looked at the bike, just noticing it being old and quirky.

My eye was on the trailer ........
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another thing I forgot to mention:

My photographs at the top of this thread are of high-ish resolution, so if you click on them and click again, you can see the bits and bobs very clearly and closely.
Mick F. Cornwall
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

thirdcrank wrote:Interesting* bit of cycling trivia: I think the grey bike shown towing the chunk of rockery is an army surplus folding bike. One of my school chums had one in the original khaki paint and he could ride it and fold it at the same time.

Indeed! A BSA Paratrooper, no less. Does anyone know if these were ever used in anger? I've never seen one in the flesh, so to speak. A very stylish, and rather idiosyncratic, bit of kit.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You can't beat the internet for useless info:

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/bsa_airborne ... a_parabike).htm

There's even one on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qradWhEnwhk
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:You can't beat the internet for useless info:
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/bsa_airborne ... a_parabike).htm
...... except it doesn't work!

Any road up, this is a lesson on how to hijack your own thread!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry about the link.

If anybody is desperate to see the www it's still there on the suggestion shown on the Oop's broken link page. (I suppose if you are going to hijack anything (except possibly a submarine) arriving by parachute equipped with a folding bike might be a good way to succeed. :wink: )