Sputnik rims....are they really round?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Woody

Sputnik rims....are they really round?

Post by Woody »

I have Sputnik rims on both front and rear wheels of my tourer and have found it almost impossible to get the tyres to sit on the rim perfectly. When I spin the wheels there is a slight rise in the tyre in its rotation. I've tried different widths and makes of tyres and they all suffer this sympton, so I was wondering if the rims are truly round. Anyone with these rims experiencing similar problems?
andrew_s

Re: Sputnik rims....are they really round?

Post by andrew_s »

The rims could be off round, but that would be because of a poor wheel build rather than anything to do with them being Sputnik rims.

To find out if it is the rim, take the tyre off, turn the bike upside down, put an allen key or similar across the chainstays (or taped to the fork blades at front) so it's not quite touching the rim, spin the wheel and watch the gap.

Does the rise come at the valve?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not clear if this is affecting both wheels. It really would be pretty poor wheel-building to produce a wheel that wasn't true, and a pair would be appalling. Even if this did happen, there would be no reason for it to affect the way the tyre (tyres?) seated on the rim. Most tyres have a fine raised line running round the wall which should be parallel with the rim edge and something like 1/4" away from it. If that deviates badly, it's probably a sign that the tyre is not properly seated. If it's at the valve, it's because the valve base is trapped.

If this looks as though it may be the trouble, deflate the tyre(s) and check for anything which can be stopping the tyre seating properly - valve base in the way, twisted/ trapped innertube, or rimtape which has not been properly fitted. You then need the weight of the bike off the wheel so you are not starting with the tyre pushed out of place. Then pump the tyre up hard, at least to the manufacturer's maximum usually shown on the tyrewall. Others on here have suggested going a bit over. You really need a good pump to do this such as a track (AKA floor) pump preferably with a gauge. If this is the cause you will hear the tyre pop as the beading finally seats correctly.
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

I've had (and still got) the same problem. I posed a while back about it - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20273
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

zz

I'm sorry to hear your problems has not been solved and I'm also sorry that I've given the same advice on this thread when I now find that it did not work for you. :oops:

As this is more than a one off, I suppose somebody who has been affected by it is going to have to take it up with a retailer, who should get back to the distributors, who I think are Chickens.

(I'll bin my stencil with the advice for getting tyres to seat properly. :( )