Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gilesjuk

Re: Tip - fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

Post by gilesjuk »

I find washing up liquid tends to dry out your skin. The schwalbe stuff evapourates, washing up liquid doesn't and can leave messy residue on the rims.

It can be found for a bargain £2.99 here:

http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/product.php/329/0
campagman

Post by campagman »

I found that as the tyre is so thick I can use a smaller cross-section dia. inner tube. This reduces the chance of pinching the tube when using two levers.
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

washing up liquid can chemically attack alloy rims after a while and therefore make the rim walls weak. nomisp
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Talculm powder FTW and no levers, just thumbs and fingers.
pigman

Post by pigman »

quiksilver wrote:....FTW .....

??
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

FTW = For The Win
byegad

Post by byegad »

I found a better way. Fit another tyre! On my tourer I use Pasela Panaracer Tourguards. They have had one p*nct*r* in 5000 miles and are much easyier to fit and roll a LOT better than the M+.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

if you don't want to carry washing up liquid etc then just squirting some water on it from your bottle can make it a little bit easier to get the tyre back on.
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

byegad wrote:I found a better way. Fit another tyre! On my tourer I use Pasela Panaracer Tourguards. They have had one p*nct*r* in 5000 miles and are much easyier to fit and roll a LOT better than the M+.

agreed! Paselas are the easiest tyres to fit so far for me.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Well I've just replaced a worn Marathon 700*28 with a new one on an MA3 rim, and it really wasn't a problem. Done entirely by hand and didn't need my VAR lever, let alone string, washing up liquid or other artificial aids. Nor have I ever needed those (except occasionally the VAR when a tyre was new) when I have fitted Marathons before.

It was quite a throw-back actually. These days I normally replace tyres when I start getting too many punctures. This one was down to the canvas. Haven't replaced one like that since I used Michelin Speeds as an impoverished student :D
drossall

Post by drossall »

Schwalbe are doing OK out of me this month...

By chance I've also just had to replace the Marathon Plus 700*32 on the back of my Mercian tourer. This time it was a DRC ST19 rim. The bead was very stiff, and I needed my VAR lever, but none of the other exotica described in this thread.

I'm obviously very lucky 8)
asterix

Post by asterix »

gilesjuk wrote:I find washing up liquid tends to dry out your skin. The schwalbe stuff evapourates, washing up liquid doesn't and can leave messy residue on the rims.

It can be found for a bargain £2.99 here:

http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/product.php/329/0

My 23mm Panaracers were very reluctant to go on the rim (new open sports). I used waxoyl to ease the process, keeping it well clear of the braking surfaces. It won't evaporate so in future the tyre will be easier to remove and being waxoyl it will obviously provide water-resistance.
Jalan

Post by Jalan »

Decided to go for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for my Giant CRS Zero
Kept to the same size as originals 700 x 28
After reading this thread fitted them OK using a couple of plastic ties

Last edited by Jalan on 18 Sep 2011, 6:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Marathon plus will go on easily without levers or lubrication, the same as every other tyre, but only if you get the bead into the well of the rim all the way round, because this is what gives you the slack to get the last bit over the rim. The difficulty with these tyres is that, when new, that puncture protection layer is flat and pushes the beads apart, making it difficult to keep the beads in the rim well. It makes it easier if you have a couple of toestraps to hand to keep the beads where you want them, although I generally don't find it necessary except on Bromptons, due to the small wheels. The good thing is when out on the bike;
1 you won't puncture anyway
2 you'll have a couple of toe straps
3 when the tyre has been on for a while, the puncture protection layer becomes tyre- shaped instead of flat, so its much easier anyway.

EDIT managed to write this without reading all the posts-again! I'm not having a go at Jalan for his recent post, you did OK. This is a hobby- horse of mine, I can't understand how so many experienced cyclists cannot grasp how to do something so simple.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Sorry 531colin, the myth that M+ doesn't puncture is just that, a myth. I had them on the bike I used for commuting and had a couple of glass penetrations in less than three months. Now I wasn't riding city streets and always try to avoid anything that looks sharp, and on the same commute the Pasela Tourguards did a years worth of commuting for one deflation.

I carry an aerosol sealant/inflator as well as a CO2 inflator and got the bike on M+s home both times on them. I then broke a lever removing the M+ at home for the first one. The Pasela puncture was easily dealt with at the roadside, using one lever to remove the tyre, carcass checked for any sharps and new tube in and tyre back on without a lever and a quick blast of CO2. As the Meerkats would say SIMPLES!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine