Who invented Cotter Pins?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Who invented Cotter Pins?

Post by Mick F »

...... coz whoever it was, wants shooting!
(probably Mr Cotter)

I've just spent a "happy" hour, drilling, hammering, chiseling, and swearing at one! I drilled right through the RH pin, soaked it in Plus Gas, used a hammer and punch and hammered away and drilled a bit more. I got to thinking it was fossilised in there!

I finally released it, not bothering with the LH side. With the chain side off, I undid the adjustable cup and withdrew the BB spindle complete with LH crank.

The fixed cup took some getting out, but I used a big spanner and threaded bar with big washers to hold it tight against it to unscrew.

This is all happening to my Raleigh Chopper. I'm going for a full strip-down, but I get the impression that nothing's been released since it was new in 1971!

I've yet to tackle the headset, but I'm not optimistic that the stem will come out .........

Anyway, that's my first foray into bike maintenance in 2009.

Is anyone else "at it" now with horror stories?
Mick F. Cornwall
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Not touched since 1971? Pah! That was only yesterday in my little world :wink:
I've been trying to shift the stem of my 1904 BSA so that I can get it nickel plated - no chance :evil: Tried WD40, Plusgas, diesel and even a bit of heat - it's an immoveable object. I guess that the handlebars are going to get a lick of black paint instead :cry: I hope the purists ain't listening.
Just fitted the cream 28 inch tyres to the rims I rebuilt - can't wait to give it a spin :P

Why do we take these jobs on? I also have a Gents' 1907 Royal Sunbeam in a delicate shade of rust (but it was used in Northern France during the Great War by a nurse - blimey, she must have been tall :shock: ) and also a turn of the century Triumph roadster in a similar/worse state - only missing a rear hub so far.
When and if I get them up and running (with carbide or oil lamps to match of course) I'll try posting some pics.

Wouldn't it be nice to take the Sunbeam back over there one day - or am I a sentimentalist :?

Have a good new year, all.
Steve
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Removing a cotter pin. Take it to your friendly local garage (if there is still such a thing near you) and get hem to use an air hammer. Its another taper thingy and shock is always the answer to these. At least that's what I used to do back in the day.

My problem is removing some horrible plastic pedals from an alloy crankset. Both are solid!
Mike McGeever

Stuck cotter pin

Post by Mike McGeever »

Unscrew nut two full turns.
Put suitable socket -perhaps 10 mm around head of cotter pin then press out in vise
No vice?
Again slack off nut two turns suport head with, say half inch pipe, and use suitable "drift" ie long peice of metal resting on nut to drive out pin.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Those are neat, wish I'd thought of them!

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

You could weld a 10mm socket to a large G cramp
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I don't know who invented cotter-pins, but in my view he wasn't as big a hero as the guy who invented cotterless cranks.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's Mr (Jamesie) Cotter:

As far as I know, the *Crankies have remained completely cotterless.....

* Yep, I know it's the Krankies, but then it would be kotterless :roll:
Mister W

Post by Mister W »

Aluminium seat post in a steel frame.......... I've no idea how long it's been in there but I've been riding it for 6 months without a seatpost clamp and it still hasn't shifted :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Try going over a few bumps?
Mick F. Cornwall
CJ

Re: Who invented Cotter Pins?

Post by CJ »

Mick F wrote:...... coz whoever it was, wants shooting!
(probably Mr Cotter)

Stanley Cotterell I presume? :wink:
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

God...cotter pins!! Back in mid 80s and I was an avid reader of Richards Bicycle book...and heavily influenced by it..decided I needed to do some essential maintenance on my puch 5 -speed...for th next week the kitchen...or at least the air in it..was deepest blue..never knew I could so effectively combine so many swear words in so many different ways due to immense frustration at being unable to knock cotter pins out-did so somehow eventually, but was severely worried that would damage bottom bracket with force of blows. Seem to rememer being in shop I bought bike from at some later point and mentioned this to the man there who laughed smugly and said oh yes, well we use (I thought he said steam hammer), but my knowledge of aforementioned implement, gained from final scene of the movie 'The Fly' (original version) was that this wouldn't be practical and reading replies here I now realise he must have said 'air hammer)...this didn't help me at all.....the whole job turend out to be disastrous, with frozen chains/freewheels etc etc.

Lesson learnt? If it ain't broke..don't fix it!! (sorry Mick..know this goes against everything you say..but never again!!!) :lol:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

And tell you what burnsie - filing down new cotterpins to fit, without the expertise and suitable vice would've turned the air bluer.

The man who invented cotterless crank/bottom bracket sets deserves a medal.
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

No argument from me there!!