Cassette for Hub Gears?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Cassette for Hub Gears?

Post by Mick F »

I have a hankering to put a couple of cogs on my SA AW hub. I know it can be done with Heath Robinson methods, but does a "Cassette" exist to fit on SA hub gears?
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Some info on this thread but it's on For Sale, Wanted and Swaps so read it quick before it's gone forever.

Or you could PM hubbers.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank gaz.

Not heard from Hubbers for quite a few weeks. I hope he hasn't left us. There's been many hub gear question recently, but no sign of him.
I'll try and PM him.

I Googled "Cyclo Double Sprocket Adapter" but no joy.

Any road up, it can't be beyond the wit of man/engineer to manufacture a boss to match up two or three derailleur cogs to a SA drive.

I have a mate with a lathe ......
Mick F. Cornwall
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

mick, sjsc used to sell one with 15/18 sprockets.a cyclo model.might be wrth a tinkle'.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Mick, the word 'davcon' is popping up in my head but I can't quite remember what it actually means!

There is some discussion in Tony Hadland's book The Moulton Bicycle about what used to be called 'hybrid' gear systems - I will try and remember and have a look tonight.

I'm sure there was a thing called a davcon converter - possibly made by a Dave Connolly (?) - which took a few sprockets. Can't remember whether they were shimano splined or something more esoteric like Regina threaded.

No luck from a quick glance at Google.

If you only want two, shimano splined freehub sprockets can be filed 'depressingly easily' (as I once heard it described) into the necessary three-pronged form and then two slipped onto the hub. Is it just coincidence that the two are of the same diameter?
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah! Shimano cassettes! Never thought of that!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 300002617/
Would this work?
Sounds cheap enough, and I'd have a choice of ratios, and all the spacers.
Mick F. Cornwall
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Actually that looks about perfect. What you need, of course, are full sprockets, not the sort that are mounted on some form of spider. Those ones look fine in the photo.

Might be worth an ask about on the Moulton forum - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moultonbicycle/. You have to join, but someone there will have a working memory about these things.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
abradleyInf

Post by abradleyInf »

highpath make double sprocket to suit bromton SRAM so may fit SA

hub cassettes differ
wallyone

Post by wallyone »

Davcon eh! That takes me back. They were made by Dave Connolly in Sheffield and replaced the driver on Sturmy AW hubs and could take up to 4 Shimano cogs, 2/3 splined and 1 screw-on. They're probably no longer available and hard to get as I seem to remember it was difficult, but not impossible, to get the system to work properly.
Rather than SJSC try http://www.oldbiketrader.co.uk for a Cyclo sprocket, but again they're difficult to get these days.
Another thing to try is the larger sprockets, 16 up, are dished and you can put 2 back to back. It'll probably work better with 3/32 Sachs sprockets which will fit onto Sturmey drivers. Or this the "Heath Robinson" method you don't want?
Good Luck.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not sure if this thread is real or a wind up :oops: . If you want to combine all the separate drawbacks of hubgears and deraileurs in one system then surely it's got to be the SRAM 3 x 7 or is that the 7 x 3? I did try to research this first on the SRAM www and all I came up with was an animated frog. For all I know, it may be the 8 x 4 now. :lol: )

To fit a Shimano 7 speed cassette on a Sturmey - try sticky backed plastic. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I talked about the modification a couple of years ago on the old forum. The thread was called Multi Gears, or something like that, and I think there was a typo in the title. Search for it, if you want!!

Any road up, I chatted about me and my mate John, in about 1967/8, I had a 3sp SA Hecrules, and the fashion round our way was to fit Cow Horn 'bars and remove the mudguards. John showed me how to fit a double sprocket system, and fit a Huret Svelto rear mech.

We removed the sprocket and all the spacers, then fitted a 22T (?) back to front, and a 14T (?) the right way round. The spacer between had to be ground down by putting it under our heel and twisting it back and forth on the pavement flagstones. The circlip was fitted on afterwards, and it all worked with the original chain.

We then had 6 gears, I can't remember my chainring size, perhaps 46T with 26x13/8 tyres.

My bike was like that for years. I could climb any hill - Parbold Hill on the A5209 (used to be the B5239 in those days!) was easy! - and I had a high gear that I could fly with. I toured North Wales in the summer of '68 with that setup.

Happy days.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.

It's not a wind up, TC.

I have this Raleigh Chopper, and I'm thinking about modifications without changing anything too much, and doing JOGLE on it.
Mick F. Cornwall
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

JOGLE on a Chopper?

Mick, you'll have legs like tree trunks by the time your'e finished! (And a very sore a--s!).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No promises yet.
It needs a good checking and sorting, then a test ride to see if I can even ride the damn thing any distance!

Watch this space .....

Also
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18773
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:I have this Raleigh Chopper, and I'm thinking about modifications without changing anything too much, and doing JOGLE on it.

Yes - I'm amazed at what anybody finds interesting in a Raleigh Chopper - except as a curiosity. I can see the nostalgic attraction for anybody who had one as a child (or even didn't have one as a child but wanted one) but I was already old and grumpy by then.

To me, it's just a symbol of a bygone age when a big part of British industry, missed the boat, lost the plot or whatever. That was a time when the motor car was really beginning to get popular and - strange though it may seem now - there was a real possibility that cycling on the road would be outlawed as dangerous. So the biggest bike manufacturer in the world brought out an imitation motor bike.