Rim wear indicators

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sort of, but I give it a tougher test but pumping up to 150 - 160psi (normal being 100) and leaving it for a while. If it doesn't go bang it's OK. It's a bit deafening if you are standing next to it when it goes.
PW

Post by PW »

I've used a variant - bang 'em up to 10 bar :shock: But stand well clear as you pump and it helps to wear ear defenders! :roll:

oops Andrew beat me to it. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How do I get up to 160psi with one of these?

Mick F. Cornwall
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Use it on the surface of Jupiter.
georgew

Post by georgew »

There is an easier way to measure rim thickness by using one of these.

http://www.tickintimeworldofwatchtools. ... -949-p.asp
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rogerzilla wrote:Use it on the surface of Jupiter.
Best place for it!

georgew wrote:There is an easier way to measure rim thickness by using one of these.

I think this is a great bit of kit, but isn't is sad that we have to buy one of these to assess the health of our wheels?
Mick F. Cornwall
georgew

Post by georgew »

Mick F wrote:
rogerzilla wrote:Use it on the surface of Jupiter.
Best place for it!

georgew wrote:There is an easier way to measure rim thickness by using one of these.

I think this is a great bit of kit, but isn't is sad that we have to buy one of these to assess the health of our wheels?

Sad indeed, but it costs little for something that will see you through thick and thin. 8)
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

A good piece of kit; not expensive compared to a blowout, but for me the cost is more the time to take the tyre off to be able to use it, rather than the few pounds to buy it.

If we should have regulations covering bikes and cycling equipment, I would suggest that having a standard way of showing when a rim was worn out, without removing the tyre, would be one of the better ones!
minkie

Post by minkie »

Now I know rim failure on a reasonably new rim is a distinct possibility even with a reasonably new rim, I think I'll try to remember to do the pumping test from time to time and use jewelers thickness test at longer intervals (maybe 6 monthly).

Thanks everyone.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Just a small point before thread slips off the bottom.
To make rims last longer especially with V or Canti brakes, DON'T use Shimano brake blocks/pads, they devour rims at an alarming rate.I've found Koolstop salmon and black or BBB (the three shades of grey ones) are a lot kinder to rims,even in mucky/dirty/muddy/rainy conditions and they don't seem to collect shrades of alloy that embed themselves in the blocks/pads like Shimano either.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

And don't use Clark's.

One of these is a Kool-Stop. The other is a Clark's.

PW

Post by PW »

I found Clarks grey canti blocks to be ok, that's the one which looks like the old elongated ellipse type of Aztec Control Block.
I don't use replaceable pads in metal shoes because they wear so fast it's easy to find yourself with metal to metal contact part way through a ride. Rims cost too much for that sort of thing.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rogerzilla wrote:And don't use Clark's.

One of these is a Kool-Stop. The other is a Clark's.

Exactly!

Another picture etc.....
meic

Post by meic »

Two pairs of Koolstops cost the same as a rim does. I think my rims will last long enough with cheap pads to make it not worth paying the extra.
Especially as I tend to have little accidents with holes in the road, which prevent me from getting to wear my rims out.
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:How do I get up to 160psi with one of these?

You need to throw it away and use one of these instead
:D