Dawes tourer or other model?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thomasj

Dawes tourer or other model?

Post by thomasj »

Hi

I'm looing into buying a Dawes Kara Kum or Galaxy for some long distance touring.

Is it better to go for the lighter Kara Kum or the heavier steel galaxy? The galaxy at 16kg seems very heavy.

Or are there better value manafacturers to go for?

Cheers
Thomas
Pedalling Pete

Re:Dawes tourer or other model?

Post by Pedalling Pete »

The Dawes Galaxy or Super Galaxy is a benchmark for an off-the-peg road touring bike. Well worth looking at to see if it fits you needs. Then compare with others. With any new bike you might expect the odd niggle, so give yourself time to run it in.
thomasj

Post by thomasj »

Cheers - reckon I'll go for Galaxy or Super galaxy.

What about ebay - can i get a good deal?
crs1953

Post by crs1953 »

Thomas, if you're not in a particular hurry to get a bike, I'd recommend looking on ebay till one comes along that's right for you. Don't be put off at the idea of buying a bike thats a few years old as you can find plenty of examples of older bikes that have been exceptionally well maintained and looked after and are, to use a well worn phrase 'almost as good as new'
Additionally, this way you're more likely to get a frameset that was actually built in England rather than Vietnam which is where Dawes machines are now built. I bought a Super Galaxy in 1988 which is still going strong and I was, at one point recently, considering updating it until the dealer I had it from told me that Dawes were now built in Vietnam and that the quality in his opinion "isn't what it was"
Good luck with your quest
Pedalling Pete

Post by Pedalling Pete »

Thomas, I'm not an eBay convert. There was a recent case involving Brompton folding bikes being stolen in London just to be sold on eBay.

There is likely to be a selection of bikes advertised in local papers which can be real bargains if you know what to look for, and what to be wary of. If you are not confident, then try to find a genuine club rider who does their own servicing, and can advise you.

I was once asked to find a touring bike for an overseas visitor. Local paper had genuine bike bought new by another overseas tourist, and used just for a few months of European touring, before being sold for anything offered.

The brand hardly matters these days, as most components come from same range of manufacturers. You just need to be able to judge what suits your needs and purse, and is a reliable buy.
Nurgles

Post by Nurgles »

Yes Bromptons are a tradeable commodity at the monment especially in London.But anyone with a little bit of old fashiond savvy would be able to look through these suspicous ads.
For the Galaxy I am sure a good bargain can be found as they are not usually to be seen down the Portobello Road !!
Marc

Post by Marc »

crs1953

Whats your point of stating that Dawes have their frames built in Vietnam?

Is this brand now an irrelevance?

Ins't it the case case that we got taught to build cars economically, to very much higher standards and without being terrorised by unions, by the Japanese and now they employ a very significant proportion of Swindon making Honda's which get impoted back to Japan!

Marc
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

I've done about 18000m on my Dawes galaxy now. The frame is still OK and the origional brakes, mudgaurds, handlebars, stem and chainset (except big & middle rings) are still going but everything else has had to be renewed. I have notcied "shimmy" when laden so make sure all the bags are balance well and not too heavy. I did find I got used to it though as the tour went by. The pannier racks they supply weren't excactly wonderous - I'd recommend some proper good quality ones if you're going to do anything serious on it. I'd go for a galaxy over a Kara Kum as I think the drop bar design is far nicer for touring. 16kg does sound heavy though. I think mine was neare 14.5 when I weighed it. That will probably include the racks, mudgaurds and heavy schwble marathon tyres though.

Good luck
Andy :-)
crs1953

Post by crs1953 »

Marc
In answer to your question, I have managed to establish that Dawes Cycles were taken over by Tandem PLC in 2000 after falling in to financial difficulties due to spiralling costs and an ever competitive market, and like so many British Cycle manufacturies ie Raleigh, production was switched to Vietnam.
My dealer is a man with a family run shop going back over three generations - now in his late fifties, he has a wealth of knowlege in all aspects of repair, building, etc etc. in addition to having been a competitive rider in his time and still an avid cyclist - so when he says that in his opinion the quality of Dawes machines "isn't what it once was" then its an observation he wouldn't make lightly. Dawes was a modest sized company who I don't think were ever 'terrorised' by unions but the company who took them over are obviously happier in paying far lower labour rates to Vietnamese workers and still charging top dollar for the product over here. Lets face it, apart from the frame, was there anything British on a cycle made by Dawes, Raleigh etc after about 1975???? I deplore the fact that the British cycle industry went the same way as the British motorcycle industry - whatever the reasons!!
I'm old enough to want to ride a Brit built frame for nostalgic reasons alone and
I was simply telling Thomas that he needn't pay out a lot of dosh to get a quality bike - even if its from Vietnam !!!!
braz

Post by braz »

Thomas J, hello! I've just bought yet another bike - this time a 1978 Raleigh Clubman, handbuilt in Nottingham by British craftsmen! A brilliant ride laden or not, and it cost me less than £150.00. Advertise for what you want on this site and get people looking in their sheds - it always seems to work for me! Whatever you buy, if it is secondhand you must be prepared for some updating - but as most CTC members are both knowledgeable and genuine - as opposed to the auction sites where you do have to take a chance.

Good Luck! Braz.
thomasj

Post by thomasj »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Actually I've been looking at a Dawes Super Galaxy posted on eBay as "brand new boxed" at £550 (not inc p&p).
Whats the catch here?!

Also its a 49cm frame. Does anyone know the standover height of this?

cheers
Thomas
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thomas J

My Super G is an 02 or 03 frame built according to Dawes themselves in Czechoslavakia. They are available from where I got my fro £539 brand new at this URL
http://www.bikesheduk.com/main/index2.asp

In terms of what you get you get a bike which carries in excess of 20 stone unloaded, had its rear wheel trued once after four weeks and rides as good as my Mercian. Reynolds 531 is what the main frame tubes are made from and its price relative to yester years wages has fallen.

good luck with your choice

Marc
jo

Post by jo »

Dawes still represents excellent value for money.The fact built in Vietnam applies to Mercedez cars now built out of Germany to Nike shoes-global markets and supply.That said saddles are still made in Great Britain which is still a major exporter of things like bike tubing under the manufacturers label. I would still pay a premium for the security of a label bike brand as there is so much rubbish particularly with regard to mountain bikes out there.