Italian Road Bike Mirror

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

CJ wrote:The American vendors seem very nice people and all (if a bit random in the despatch department!) but I can't help feeling its too wasteful for these mirrors to collect so many airmiles between Italy and England! Apart from the carbon, think of the compounded import duties and currency exchange commissions!

I set out to discover a European vendor in www.google.it - but sadly failed. I don't have much knowledge of either Italian or racing. If these mirrors are "hugely popular, especially in Italy" they ought to be possible to find that way. We also have the clues that they're made by an ex Italian road champion, called Mario, born in 1930s. No use to me, but must mean something to someone. Anyone?

I've just come back from Italy at the week end and can say I did ask around if anyone knew Mario with no luck I'm afraid, though some knew who MickF was though,they said he was the one with Chris King headset and no mirror,strange but true.

PS everyone said how much they liked the new trailer box Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Famous?
Me?

Anyone want to buy a Chris King headset?
I can autograph it ......

Have you seen the price!!!!!
$169

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2 ... de=CKNTS12
Mick F. Cornwall
tod28

Post by tod28 »

Specchietto per bicicletta da corsa may be what you are looking for in Italy
CJ

Post by CJ »

tod28 wrote:Specchietto per bicicletta da corsa may be what you are looking for in Italy

Thanks, but that's not the one.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Incredible that Specchietto per bicicletta da corsa is 18euro in Italy but when Wildoo sell them thy're £19.99p :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Italian Road Bike Mirror

Post by Mick F »

Just to finish this thread off .....

The new mirror glass arrived very quickly ok. It's fitted, and is great!

I sent the erroneous stuff back, and they thanked me, and thay gave me a big discount off anything they had in stock as a "thank you". I chose a track pump.

Thank you!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NOT finished yet!

I was out yesterday for a long ride, and riding down into Hessenford on way to Looe and Polperro, I heard a sound like I'd dropped something. I checked by back pockets, my saddle bag, and even my Garmin 705, but all seemed ok. I carried on regardless.

Ten minutes later, I glanced in my mirror to look at the following traffic, and the mirror glass had gone!

Fitted new 2 Jul 08
Mirror glass fell out 16 Oct 08
New glass 23 Oct 08
Fell out again 30 Jun 10

Now, I can be surprised that the new mirror fell out. This would have been fitted in factory conditions. I fitted the replacement mirror in accordance with their instructions paying due gegard to the instructions from Evostick.

I must have done a good job - or at least better than the original - because my repair lasted 20 months as opposed to only 3 months!

I think the problem is caused by a hard piece of glass being stuck to a soft piece of rubber. Maybe the glue needs to be flexible.

I will be emailing them again, but I certainly won't be buying another! A new free mirror (or even two!) would be ok.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F by Email wrote:Hi,

I bought an Italian Road Bike Mirror from you in Jun 2008
Attached is the original invoice.

In October of the same year, the glass fell out.

I emailed you, and you sent me a replacement that I fitted in
accordance with your instructions and the repair worked well. I was
very happy indeed with my mirror.

However, after 20 months of use since the repair, the mirror has come
out again! I cannot say exactly when it went, as I only noticed its
loss. My repair must have been ok, because it lasted 20 months
whereas the original only lasted 3 months.

I still want to use your mirror, so could you please send me another
glass and suggest a better glue. I feel that the problem is that the
rigid glass is being stuck to a soft and flexible rubber. Maybe a
flexible glue would be better.

Reply wrote:Hi Mick,

Thanks for getting back to us about your Italian Road Bike Mirror. We have been using a 3M DP-100 epoxy on the mirrors and this has been quite successful. We cannot ship the epoxy to you, but you should be able to buy it online or perhaps at your local hardware store. Here’s a link to Amazon.com for the epoxy:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-DP100-Scotch-W ... B0012O2EFC

We will ship one more replacement mirror glass to you by USPS First Class International and you should receive it in 15-25 days.

Just let me know if I can assist any time.

Best regards,
John Kellison
Customer Service Manager
http://www.AspireVeloTech.com
Mick F. Cornwall
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Having cycled in Italy a few times, I imagine that no Italian, male of female, likes to be away from a mirror at any time!!
I saw one cyclist there with a fancy bike with a purple frame. Everything else was purple. Bottlecages, bottles, handlebar tape, all his clothes, helmet, shoes and even sidewalls of his tyres. I'm sure if he crashed, he'd have gushed purple blood! :lol:
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Clear silicon sticks to everything and should be able to cope with the vibration. It might be worth a try. In desparartion I have even used it to stick ceramic tiles to walls!

Make sure you dont get it on the mirroer surface or if you do have some of those "big yellow wipes" handy as they are the only thing I have found that will clean it up.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Eddy.

I've been thinking this past day or two about experimenting with different things to see if glass will stick to flexible rubber ok. I thought of Gripfill - you know the stuff, it sticks to anything and comes in a big tube you use with a caulking gun.

Silicone sounds good too.
Mick F. Cornwall
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Mick F wrote:
Silicone sounds good too.
Maybe. But I've had to use it to stick silicone nose pads to my Optilabs shades and have found that it doesn't want to bond (for long) to the polycarbonate frames (I even keyed the surface). I'm thinking of trying Shoe Goo next, which is like a super sticky, but flexible adhesive, but I've got it in stock already. It may do the job for you.

But I would really recommend phoning up Loctite's tech department (01442278000). The nerds there know everything there is to know about materials and glues!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
I'll give them a ring next week.
Mick F. Cornwall
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Mick - Grip - fill is a great building adhesive for skirtings, architraves etc but tends to set harder than silicon - I'm not sure it would stick to a rubber background very well.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick
Silicon may let go after a while especially to plastics,theres good and bad silicon too,the cheap stuff doesn't hold on long.
If you want something that sticks like the proverbial then its got to be Polyurthane glue :- http://ecs-marine-equipment.co.uk/marin ... 37861.html not cheap but it won't fall off again.It actually bonds better if the surfaces are damp!
You only need a little as it foams but is easily cleaned off when cured but will only come off with Acitone (nail polish remover) so be careful with it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden