Shimano (non) compatible chain rings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

Shimano (non) compatible chain rings

Post by PT1029 »

More a general pondering point. Is there a Shimano compatability chart as to which 4 bolt rings fit which 4 bolt cranks - all nominally the same fit (BCD). I've seen it before with a deore (mid) ring on XT cranks, the bolt holes were correct, but the chain ring fouled the shoulder on the crank spider, and could only fit if the inner edge of the chain ring was filed/ground away.
This week I had the same with an XT mid ring on an XT crank. The crank was modern (external bearing BB). The original ring was what I would call a usual XT steel ring. The replacement was a newer XT ring, chrome steel with a wadge of molded black plastic (polyvinylshiftate?) with alot of the shifting ramps molded into it. The internal diameter of the mounting points of the old/new rings were different (but bolts holds were the same), the new ring could only be fitted if one were to file/grind 2 - 3mm off the inner part of the chain ring.

13th Feb 022.jpg

The old ring on top (square corners), new one underneath (curved around the bolt hole that fouls the crank arm shoulder). The bolt holes do line up, even though they are a bit cock eyed in the photo.
How long the plastic shifting ramps will last is a mute point.
Attachments
13th Feb 022.jpg
531colin

Re: Shimano (non) compatible chain rings

Post by 531colin »

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=103546&hilit=obsolescence

more about this towards the end of the above thread.
PT1029

Re: Shimano (non) compatible chain rings

Post by PT1029 »

Ah, that makes sense, good for Mr Shimano to help save ourselves from our inumerate technically incompetent ourselves!