My next wheels.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vetus Ossa

My next wheels.

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Apologies in advance as I am asking for help with my homework, as I think the calculation I need is beyond me, I am a self-confessed numpty.
I am looking to build a cheap(ish) pair of wheels and after reading users comments here and elsewhere have decided on Ambrosio Zenith hubs with Excellence rims. I would like to use 32 hole rims, 3 crossed front and back.
What I need to know is what length spokes will I need front and back please and make recommended.
I would also like to hear opinions on the above build if possible.

Thank you.
Beauty will save the world.
robc02

Re: My next wheels.

Post by robc02 »

I normally use the Wheelpro calculator. There are instructions on there about how to measure your hubs and rims to get the figures to put into the calculator.

For the last few years I have been using Sapim spokes without problems.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ambrosio Excellence aren't cheap(ish) rims.
They cost around £50 each.
This is where I got mine from. £55
http://www.justridingalong.com/parts/wh ... e-rim.html

If you want cheap(ish) go for Chrina rims. £18
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b9s116p66
Mick F. Cornwall
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Ambrosio do cheaper rims as well, they are called Evolution and Excursion. They are both basically the same but the Excursion has machined (pre-worn!) sidewalls. I can confidently recommend Evolutions.

Some people report that Chrinas make a very tight fit with some tyres.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I second that, the Ambrosio Evoution are cheaper and pretty good for the money.

Novatec do some identical hubs to Ambrosio Zenith hubs and you could save some money too.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Thank you all for your comments. The Ambrosio Evolution Rim looks good value at £24.99 from Planet X, they do have some good buys don’t they. I understand Novatec hubs are the same as the Zenith hubs, but they only seem to come in black and I like shiny.
I guess I need to find some hub/rim dimensions so I can order the spokes.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Well unless I have cocked up my measurements, according to the Wheelpro calculator that will be 296.7mm front, and 294.4L and 293.5R rear.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Any particular reason for the Ambrosio hubs? I would (do) choose Shimano because the steel freehub is IMHO a lot more durable - there should be a good monetary saving also.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

fastpedaller wrote:Any particular reason for the Ambrosio hubs? I would (do) choose Shimano because the steel freehub is IMHO a lot more durable - there should be a good monetary saving also.

I have read about the freehub wear issue, but I use campag so picked them for simplicity.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I understand Harry Rowland is a respected wheel builder, and has this to say about the Zenith hubs…… I have been using these hubs since 2001 and they are always the hub I would recommend. They are now available in 28, 32 & 36 hole and in both Shimano & Campag and are not expensive. Do not, however, be put off by the low price as the hub is of very good quality.

Which is probably why they caught my eye :?
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I understand Harry Rowland is a respected wheel builder, and has this to say about the Zenith hubs…… I have been using these hubs since 2001 and they are always the hub I would recommend.

Yes, I remember reading articles by Harry Rowland many years ago (and he is a most respected wheel builder) about the Zenith hubs being just as good as any of the others and better for the price - I just never liked the look of them so I've never tried them. However, I think you gone for a good choice of hubs and rims!
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I guess beauty is pretty much in the eye of the beholder Phil, I like the way they look :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

with ambrosio/novatec hubs I think it is fair to say that they are not too expensive and are reasonably durable for a hub of that weight.

This is of course not at all the same thing as 'an inexpensive and durable hub' per se. So if you are not obsessed with weight (and it isn't really even rotating weight in a hub, not like a rim is...) then there are lots of other (eg shimano) hubs that will last longer than the ambrosio ones, even though they might be a little heavier.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robc02

Post by robc02 »

then there are lots of other (eg shimano) hubs that will last longer than the ambrosio ones, even though they might be a little heavier.

Are there any that will take a Campag cassette, though? Appealing as the Shimano hubs are (to me anyway - because of their adjustable bearings) they would need a Shimergo type of solution - not everybody's cup of tea.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

robc02 wrote:
then there are lots of other (eg shimano) hubs that will last longer than the ambrosio ones, even though they might be a little heavier.

Are there any that will take a Campag cassette, though? Appealing as the Shimano hubs are (to me anyway - because of their adjustable bearings) they would need a Shimergo type of solution - not everybody's cup of tea.

Mine neither.