Aldi Bargins

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
freiston

Re: Aldi Bargins

Post by freiston »

I have the table vice on the end of my desk in my den/computer room. The jaws are rubber-clad and the vice is perfect for little jobs like hacksawing, filing and drilling, but I wouldn't want to take a hammer to anything clamped in it. It clamps quite firmly. Jaws open to just over 2" and are about 3"long.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

old_windbag wrote:Aldi have digital calipers back in for £7.99, these are handy for various measuring activities. :) .

I have a similar one but I use it so infrequently that I have to put a fresh battery in when I come to use it. :(
Or remember to remove the cell when not in use. Mind you can get a pack of 20 cells for £1.

I previously bought a large pair of bolt cutters ( for cutting down a barbed wire fence etc) and the shop assistant made some reference about them.
" Oh' there for breaking into the wifes purse" I replied. :wink:
You should have seen the dirty look she gave me. :mrgreen:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

mercalia wrote:well talking about useless bits of junk - pop over to Lidl, at the moment they have some 3 foot long crow bars for sale :shock: what the :!: do normal people want them for?

I'm looking forward to a Netto store re-opening near me - I've missed the Netto random central isle with it's dolls house brass ware, plastic saxophones and 'head massager' named the 'orgasmatron'!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

cycleruk wrote:Or remember to remove the cell when not in use

Yes this is what I do after losing the first battery from sitting for only a couple of months..... I go through periods of lots of use to idle depending on what I'm working on. Mines a non aldi but still cheap chinese caliper.

Didn't realise mercalia had already commented on the crow bars, should have read all posts thoroughly :? .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well when I popped into Lidl today I saw they have some robotic cleaners - disc shaped objects I assume trundle around on the floor not bumping into things and vacuuming?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

rjb wrote:I once came across a 2 foot crowbar lying in the road, probably shed by a passing lorry. I was on my "best" road bike so moved it to the side of the road. I came back an hour later with my hack bike to collect it but it was gone. Someone else must have found it and half inched it. :shock:

Talking about lorries shedding things........ A few months ago whilst driving I came to a little bridge in the road where a lorry had lost a broom, various odd bits on pipe etc, negotiating this without causing too much of a hold up and trying to avoid the worst/hardest objects I ended up with a hard hat wedged under the car! It made a hellish racket as it scraped along at low speed, and then fortunately dislodged itself after a few yards - Luckily there was no builder's head in it :lol:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

cycleruk wrote:Or remember to remove the cell when not in use.

if you cut the corner off a thin plastic bag, put the cell in it, and then put the whole lot back in the caliper, you won't have to spend time looking for the safe place you put it.