BB, Frame & Chainset Size

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vantage

BB, Frame & Chainset Size

Post by Vantage »

Bought one of these today........http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RSP-RALEIGH-T ... 1733613025
Sorry I can't figure out how to shorten links :? *
Seller states that it needs a 113mm bottom bracket.
Now, Spa say that my XD-2 chainset requires a 110mm bottom bracket which is just what happens to be in the Vantage.
I have a suspicion that I'll need a new BB for the new frame, but what about the brand spanking new chainset? Will it fit? Is the 110mm a minimum size by any chance?

*it shortened itself :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
beardy

Re: BB, Frame & Chainset Size

Post by beardy »

The length of the BB axle is decided by the crankset NOT the frame.

He probably just copied that from the specs for a whole bike.
pwa

Post by pwa »

beardy wrote:The length of the BB axle is decided by the crankset NOT the frame.

He probably just copied that from the specs for a whole bike.

+1

I'd try just transferring your bb onto the new frame. If the old and new frame both have the same sort of bb shell you are probably okay. As beardy says, axle length is related to the cranks.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Agree with the above....... If only the seatube was longer I'd also have one as it looks a bargain
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You might need a slightly longer bottom bracket spindle, but try it and see.
beardy wrote:The length of the BB axle is decided by the crankset NOT the frame.

Not in the way the seller put it, but it is related to frame because the rear dropout spacing of the frame is one of the factors that determines chainline. The combination of chainset and bb spindle need to match the chainline as closely as possible.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Doesn't the width of the frames bottom bracket shell affect any of this? Or are they all done to a set standard? Excluding English and Italian threads that is.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Vantage wrote:Doesn't the width of the frames bottom bracket shell affect any of this? Or are they all done to a set standard? Excluding English and Italian threads that is.

That's taken into consideration by the bottom bracket itself I think - i.e you'd buy say a 113mm cartridge bottom bracket of most commonly either 68 or 73mm variety to match your bb shell; the spindle length would stay the same for both types.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

gregoryoftours wrote:
Vantage wrote:Doesn't the width of the frames bottom bracket shell affect any of this? Or are they all done to a set standard? Excluding English and Italian threads that is.

That's taken into consideration by the bottom bracket itself I think - i.e you'd buy a 113mm cartridge bottom bracket of most commonly either 68 or 73mm variety to match your bb shell; the spindle length would stay the same for both types.

Aha! Thanks chaps. I'd forgotten about the 68mm measurement which is what my Vantage has and something I'd enquired about a while ago when that needed a new BB.
With any luck I'll be able to just screw it in and hope for the best re chainline.

Thanks again :D
Bill

cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

gregoryoftours wrote: The combination of chainset and bb spindle need to match the chainline as closely as possible.

Chainline:-
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
You'll never know if you don't try it.
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

gregoryoftours wrote:You might need a slightly longer bottom bracket spindle, but try it and see.

Not in the way the seller put it, but it is related to frame because the rear dropout spacing of the frame is one of the factors that determines chainline. The combination of chainset and bb spindle need to match the chainline as closely as possible.

What if I want to install a chainset that delivers Xmm chainline with a 127mm bb? Do I still trust the seller and get a 113mm bb for this frame?

The seller is wrong, beardy is right. Get the spa recommended bb spindle length for the chainset, unless you want to alter the chainline from the standard associated with the chainset (road/mtb/single/double/triple etc).
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

From where I'm sitting, Gregoryoftours' explanation makes the most sense and is what I do myself.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It's true that the frame seller can't say what bottom bracket you need but it's also oversimplifying it to say that crankset determines bb spindle length. That depends on the chainline that is suitable for the frame you're going to use it on combined with the crankset. As cordacefromnew said the chainset manufacturer's stated bb length is likely to be right unless you want to alter the chainline from the standard associated with the chainset (road/mtb/single/double/triple etc), but that's not such an uncommon occurence when people are building their own bikes/swapping parts around.