Shimano brake calipers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pga

Shimano brake calipers

Post by pga »

I have a Giant Defy 2 with Tekro brakes which I would like to upgrade. What a mine field! I would like to know what Shimano brake calipers are compatible with Shimano Tiagra 10 speed double levers (4600?) - Tiagra 4600 obviously but what about 105 or Ultegra?

It was certainly a lot easier once upon a time to swop bits around but progress always spoils things.
Gattonero

Re: Shimano brake calipers

Post by Gattonero »

I think the Defy needs mid-long drop brakes, because has got room for mudguards? If so, you should get brakes like the Shimano R451 (Tiagra class), or the R650 which are Ultegra class; essentialy a brake with 41-57mm drop, normal road bikes (with no clearance for mudguards) do use shorter brakes with 39-50mm drop.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

The Defy 2 takes normal 49mm drop brakes. I downgraded mine to a complete Sora 9-speed groupset and the brakes are quite good.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can see a road brake compatibility chart here

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.9?types=road&cid=C-453&acid=C-456

The story behind it is this; as of the early 1990s shimano road brakes have used 'Super SLR' (S-SLR) brake levers and until ~2008 any S-SLR brake levers (including all models of road STI) were compatible with any shimano dual pivot caliper.

However since 2008 shimano have trickled a new (longer cable pull) standard called 'New Super SLR' (NS-SLR) into their road groupsets. This process is now pretty much complete with the introduction of the 2400 Claris groupset. ST-4600 is part of the NS-SLR family.

Now if you try to mix S-SLR parts with NS-SLR parts you can have combinations that perform thus;

Brake levers...... S-SLR .................NS-SLR

calipers
S-SLR..............Perfect..............Weak braking
NS-SLR............Not permitted........Perfect

Now do check but you may need a ~55mm drop caliper which means that many (Most..? All?) of the current NS-SLR calipers listed in the compatibility chart won't reach; I think they may all be ~49mm max reach.

This leaves you with the longer reach calipers eg BR-R650, BR-R450, BR-R451. Unfortunately these calipers are all S-SLR type, which is permissible, but leaves you with slightly weaker braking. If you want long reach shimano calipers and perfectly matched (i.e. S-SLR cable pull) 10s STIs, then you should try and track down some ST-7800, ST6600, or ST-5600 STI units.

Of other brake calipers from different manufacturers it is difficult to choose because they do not acknowledge that there is any difference between S-SLR and NS-SLR brake levers. Having said that the Tektro R359 caliper (NB check the brake fitting carefully) looks more like a NS-SLR brake than a S-SLR brake to me.

In practice the MA of any one type of brake caliper varies with the required reach, so 'the same brake' can be ~30% more powerful on some frames just because the reach is shorter. This is a little greater than the difference between S-SLR and NS-SLR brake pulls.

The other important variable is the type of brake block; quite possibly you could get a significant improvement in your extant brakes by using better brake blocks.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pga

Post by pga »

Many thanks Brucey and others who replied. Will try new blocks.