Servicing Campagnolo Record Pre-2006 oversize hubs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Servicing Campagnolo Record Pre-2006 oversize hubs

Post by Mick F »

Gattonero wrote:I'd still use a support ............
Yeah, if you want, but it's not necessary. You can do it on your knee, but you have to be a good shot with the hammer! :lol:

Seriously though, providing you get a good hard accurate hit, the cup will move with ease. It's only a very good neat push-fit, not an interference fit and you don't need any special tools, just good skill of hand.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Yes I'm sure it can work, but one that's going to service hubs may as well get the right tools.
This particular one does cost £0.00, is one block of wood to be drilled out; I've done mine with a loose 10mm (for resting axles), 30mm (for those single-speed hubs that do use 6000 type bearings), 38mm (for supporting hubs in general, and pre-stress handbuilt wheels) and 44mm (for removing BB30 bearings or supporting OS bb shells). Such a useful simple thing
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Well i've done this a couple of times and in my expierience not the support is critical but rather the piece you use for tapping out the races.
I use a medium size screwdriver wit the handle chopped off and bent to catch te race,
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
I said earlier, to get a suitable flat blade screwdriver.

No doubt the block idea is a good one. It's just that I've never bothered.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I've serviced several hubs for friends, so it made sense to me having something to support the hubs while removing those bearings. Those cheap track hubs use terrible bearings, they last nothing.
For removing bearings and races, I have a small collection of old allen keys that have been chopped off at 45º after the bend. Best tool for the job, again costs £0.00 as the allen keys were very old and good only for the bin.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

You can do almost anything on bikes with improvised stuff.
pbridge1300

Post by pbridge1300 »

Mick F wrote: 5 Feb 2016, 8:09pm Pre 2006?
These are the parts for 2005.
Mick, thanks for helping me understand this assembly, only seven years later, and for providing the exploded diagrams. The page on the Campag site is apparently gone, thanks Campagnolo.

I overhauled a Record rear, bit of a battle understanding how to slip the split ring and race off the axle. The axle came out of the shell to the drive side, with the freehub body on it. I did not see how to remove the axle end nut on the drive-side.

I did not try to service the freehub except for cleaning and lubricating the pawls.

There's a small grub screw in the freehub body. Is that for oil? Should the freehub be oiled?

I felt dreadfully clumsy reassembling the whole thing. Persuading the seals to pop back into place was not fun, but eventually was OK. The left race did not want to slip down the axle, and that felt like a fight to me. Then I was uncertain how to adjust the thread-on allen nut lockring. I just barely snugged it and then tightened the allen.

Any comments will be welcome.

Cheers,

Peter Bridge
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

About the adjustment ring: this should be adjusted with the wheel in the frame OR with thick nuts under the skewer, with the skewer engeged tight, so the wheel/hub has no play and runs free...
pbridge1300

Post by pbridge1300 »

Understood, thanks, regarding rear hub clamped in frame, but what is the function of the thick nuts? That part I don't understand.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

The nuts replace the frame if you prefer adjusting the bearings with the axle between your fingers....
pbridge1300

Post by pbridge1300 »

Ah! Got it, thanks!
Keezx wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 6:56pm The nuts replace the frame if you prefer adjusting the bearings with the axle between your fingers....