Washington's Axe.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
meic

Washington's Axe.

Post by meic »

I have just replaced the frame on my old Raleigh with a new Long Haul Trucker frame as the Raleigh forks had developed a split personality.

I have now done a quick mental parts' audit and realise with all the modifications, upgrades and servicing, the only original parts left are the rear canti lever arms (and bolts) and the rear hub with some of its spokes on the spare wheel.
There may be a few 5mm allen bolts too that have escaped my attention.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Re: Washington's Axe.

Post by pwa »

Your bike is clearly a concept rather than a physical entity! Doesn't the same apply to your body? Very little of you is original material. I'm sure the Buddha would have had something to say about this.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes. I always say that a bike is just a collection of components.

The last complete bike I bought was in late 1982. Sold as a complete item in 1986.

That year, I bought a Mercian frame and bought all the bits separately. Since then, all the bits have been changed except the 'bars, the quill stem, and the seat post. Every single bit ........... including nut and bolts ........... have been changed.

It's still my bike though. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Apart from the frame and forks, all that remain of my original bike are the cantilevers, headset and front mech. The headset has been a bit notchy for a few months so that'll be going soon. I doubt the cantilevers or front mech will ever wear out as after 4 years they still look and work like new.
I wonder if it's still a Vantage? :shock:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

only original parts.
Frame.
Seatpost.
Bottle cage bolts.
Last edited by Neilo on 8 Feb 2016, 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Seatpin, mudguards, brake levers & cantis are the only original bits left on mine, the frame was the first to go.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
drossall

Post by drossall »

Often discussed here under the title Trigger's broom. Occasionally also discussed here by posh people, under the title Ship of Theseus.
Last edited by drossall on 8 Feb 2016, 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

drossall wrote:Often discussed here under the title [url]Trigger's broom[/url]. Occasionally also discussed here by posh people, under the title Ship of Theseus.

I know the idea as Alexander's barge.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
drossall

Post by drossall »

The ship of Theseus outlasted Theseus, eventually becoming Alexander's barge when enough bits had been replaced enough times :lol: