Saddle choice advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Garry Booth

Saddle choice advice

Post by Garry Booth »

The saddle on my Condor Fratello needs replacing and I'm looking for something comfortable, fairly light and in keeping with the bike's fast touring aesthetic (I didn't say I tour fast on it)
I like what I hear about the Rolls but the gold bit on the back is too bling for moi.
Any suggestions people? (Don't say Brookes as my bum refuses to be broken in by one of them.)
Vetus Ossa

Re: Saddle choice advice

Post by Vetus Ossa »

The Rolls also comes with titanium rails and a nice dull silver bit on the back.
Attachments
ssm-vintage-rolls-black-side.jpg
Beauty will save the world.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I know you said no to Brooks, but what about a Cambium? They look good and are supposedly very comfy from day 1.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

honesty wrote:I know you said no to Brooks, but what about a Cambium? They look good and are supposedly very comfy from day 1.

I also have a c15 and would agree with that.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Garry Booth wrote:The saddle on my Condor Fratello needs replacing and I'm looking for something comfortable

The word in bold italic red is the fly in the ointment.
You'll get far more definitive and factually correct answers from questions such as...

Does God exist?
Which God do I follow if any?
How many stars in the universe are there?
Is there anything related to cycling that Brucey doesn't know?

The problem with saddles is that no-one and I do mean NO-ONE knows which is best for themselves or especially others. Every bum and saddle fit is different.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Vetus Ossa wrote:The Rolls also comes with titanium rails and a nice dull silver bit on the back.

I’ve never been quite sure whether the rails are titanium in that saddle. Do you know that for a fact?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Samuel D wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:The Rolls also comes with titanium rails and a nice dull silver bit on the back.

I’ve never been quite sure whether the rails are titanium in that saddle. Do you know that for a fact?

Actually no, I don’t know that for a fact but is described as follows...
“The Selle San Marco Rolls combines classic looks and proven comfort with a supple real leather cover and feather light titanium rails. After many years in the Selle San Marco range, the Rolls remains a firm favourite among road and touring riders”.
I own both a titanio and classic and the so called titanio is most certainly lighter. I have that one on my best bike as for my backside it is the most comfortable.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I own both a titanio and classic and the so called titanio is most certainly lighter.

That’s good enough for me.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

It's still not what you would call a light saddle though to be honest.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Could never get comfy on any plastic-shelled saddle. Rode a San Marco Aero for years but they had a very supple bit between nose & main flared part that was OK. Well, bearable.

Currently riding a Selle Anatomica X-series. It's in supple leather with a very long slot up the middle, so that the two halves conform to and move with your sit-upon. At first I found that the sides flared out under my weight and rubbed the insides of my thighs, so I punched & laced it - did PBP with virtually no discomfort. Promptly bought another in gratitude.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
hamster

Post by hamster »

San Marco Regal? Or the Regal-E if you are on a diet...
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks everyone - very interesting and helpful comments as ever from CTC folk. G
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gary,

A well regarded bike shop near me (Condor) appears to offer a "try before you buy" service on saddles. I have not asked about it yet but I spotted someone returning a saddle for a refund saying it was not comfortable. Given the importance of *fit* I don't see any other way of being sure that your new saddle is going to be comfortable. It might be worth contacting the best cycle shop in your area?

Smiles
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Comfortable is personal. I like Serfas saddles.

Most saddles can be tried for a week or two & returned if they prove to be uncomfortable. I would just pick something that looks a similar shape to soemthing you've found comfortable before & give it a go.

Good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

no one has mentioned the charge spoon.?