SRAM chain link didn't close. No contact.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PRL

SRAM chain link didn't close. No contact.

Post by PRL »

After using Sram chains for many years for the benefit of the open-able chain link I installed my most recent purchase and set off for a ride around the block to check the new gears. There was a regular clunk and on investigation I saw that the link had not fully opened out even after riding uphill.

A replacement link ( 3 for £1.99 ) worked fine as usual. At that minimal expense I didn't want to bother my suppliers but thought that Sram should be informed that there might be an issue. However their website has , almost uniquely , no Contact page. :?
RickH

Re: SRAM chain link didn't close. No contact.

Post by RickH »

PRL wrote:...thought that Sram should be informed that there might be an issue. However their website has , almost uniquely , no Contact page. :?

There is a contact page (link at the bottom of each page). However it only has snail mail & phone details, & only in USA & Netherlands to boot.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I had this problem. Bike shop mechanic jumped on the pedal and it clicked into place. Worked without the heavy tactics thereafter.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC SRAM don't welcome approaches from customers, and prefer you to deal with them via their dealer. With the best will in the world, this is hardly ever an entirely satisfactory arrangement; the dealer is likely to view it as a waste of their time and the potential for miscommunication is multiplied many times over.

SRAM used to have contact with its customers directly via email with the their European tech centre and they were usually responsive and helpful. However somebody at SRAM decided that this wasn't a good idea (probably it cost them several people's wages).

In the broadest terms I think it is good to have SRAM there, else shimano's monopoly would be near-complete in many market segments. But having said that, I for one need a good reason to buy their products, and good customer service and spares backup could swing it.

Sorry SRAM, but if you don't want to talk to your customers, you might soon find you don't have any... it worked for me, anyway.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This is the trend as said above, that large firms have adopted, in that even when you are a customer you can no longer can email an ISP :? TalkTalk.

So the firm has lost contact with the individual...........................

Sram I cannot comment as I have never used their products at all.

Now Sedis was a different quality.

I have two Sram second chains off skip bikes, yet to try.
I know how Kmc bottom end chains don't perform.

I have just removed a second hand "Silver & Black" sedis ? was that sedis sachs? from my skip trainer and millage is over four times even if you say comparable price back then is also four times the cost to me.
Maintainance is lower as you don't have to keep fitting chains.

Wish I could still buy those old "Silver & Black" chains....................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

It will be tight tolerances of the new link, that will likely slacken after use. To make it usable, you can adjust the pins with a chain tool. They are much tougher than normal chain pins, but you will be able to move them with a little effort, effectively making the link a tiny bit wider.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Eyebrox wrote:I had this problem. Bike shop mechanic jumped on the pedal and it clicked into place. Worked without the heavy tactics thereafter.

They are a little tricky to take apart at the best of times. I would be worried about one forced into place. Only a few pence to replace with a working sample so I didn't take the risk.
PRL

Post by PRL »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Try their UK-based Tech Centre :wink:
Regards
tim-b

Thanks - feedback sent.

Paul
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PRL wrote:
Eyebrox wrote:I had this problem. Bike shop mechanic jumped on the pedal and it clicked into place. Worked without the heavy tactics thereafter.

They are a little tricky to take apart at the best of times. I would be worried about one forced into place. Only a few pence to replace with a working sample so I didn't take the risk.

Stamping on the pedal (either literally or less physically by leaning weight on the crank) is the recommended method of ensuring fast links are locked - they still part very easily with the correct tool! http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kmc-miss ... 58578.html not exactly expensive and they save a lot of cursing and grazed knuckles!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Yesterday I managed to stab myself in the finger trying to get a very tight KMC 8-speed quick link off.

This was sufficient motivation to work it over with a thin, round, file before reusing it.

That seems to have "normalised" it.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Yes, i know the feeling, I nearly lost a knuckle on a Campagnolo chain and chainset fitting the pins, thats what turned me to links... one must be careful when fitting them as well, some are marked that you won't usually go wrong.. my tip when fitting on any chain new or used is while the bike is at eye level on the stand turn the pedals until the link comes eye level on the top run towards the chainset and snap it closed by a sharp dig on the pedals with your hand. works for me.. and its easy to see that its seated correctly and running over the cassette sweetly.. will
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

foxyrider wrote:
PRL wrote:

Stamping on the pedal (either literally or less physically by leaning weight on the crank) is the recommended method of ensuring fast links are locked - they still part very easily with the correct tool! http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kmc-miss ... 58578.html not exactly expensive and they save a lot of cursing and grazed knuckles!

I bought this tool. It's made the job so much simpler. Great Christmas present (and well-priced in my view) for the cyclist who has (nearly) everything.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Just a few days ago I installed a new cassette and chain, 9 speed Sram, couldn't seem to get the new link to join, it seemed as though the inner link was to wide, tried the one from the old chain, also Sram, same thing, found a KMC one in the spares bin, success! I'd forgotten the trick of putting on the back brake and standing on a peddle.
Cheers, Rob.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I generally buy SRAM chains and with a bit of manipulation the quick link snaps fully into place without having to stamp on the pedals. It has never occurred to me that anyone would actually ride the bike to get the link to click fully into place. But joining has to be done in a clean environment because it only takes a grain of sand to stop the link halves joining.