Carbon Bikes, Turbo Trainers???

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Webbo154

Carbon Bikes, Turbo Trainers???

Post by Webbo154 »

Hi this is my first time on the forum and am reletively new to the cycle scene. I bought a planet x carbon cx bike to extend my outdoor cycling but also the route I ride to work is a puncture hazard zone.... I am looking at getting a turbo trainer to train during the winter, so contacted planet x regarding the spindle size I recalled it was longer than the normal ones. They have informed me that carbon fibre bikes should not be used on turbo trainers as it can cause the frame to twist and crack. Is this the case?? Help appreciated before I buy one as a christmas present. Also would this be the same for bkool trainers as well as the standard ones? Cheers and thanks in advance.
Brucey

Re: Carbon Bikes, Turbo Trainers???

Post by Brucey »

I think that if PX have told you that, if/when your frame breaks in that use, you are on your own.

Turbo trainers usually clamp the bike somewhere and wherever that is, it isn't a place that is really designed to have a clamp round it. Some folk won't even put a frame like that in a roof rack for similar reasons.

I'd suggest getting a tatty old bike (and a special rear tyre) to use on the turbo trainer.

If all you are worried about on the road is punctures, there are such things as very puncture resistant tyres, even in relatively skinny road bike sizes.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
willcee

Post by willcee »

YES agreed.. Carbon on a trainer is a no no, as is alloy.. ime. last year I bought a newish Spanish made alloy which had in the main been used on a home Trainer, the guy who sold it to me had a lifetime warranty and had another Frame set given to him.. it had a minute crack at the edge of the weld on the drive side rear of the bracket where the chain stays are inserted and welded, I had it professionally welded after investigating with my dremel just how little was involved, it didn't open under extreme force that Ii applied to it.. its now repaired and was one of the sweetest alloy bikes I have ever pedalled ...indeed I built the new warranty supplied frame set for the guy and 3 weeks later bought it from him as well.. Steel frameset is what you want in cromo or gas tube they will flex and come to no harm, alloy doesn't like flex at all, nor does Carbon.. that said i have witnessed trainers where the bikes are wrongly inserted and the dropouts and stays are getting twisted even before the rider exerts any force whatsoever.. don't ask!! some people don't understand mechanical machinery at all..will
newbootclimbco

Re: turbo trainers

Post by newbootclimbco »

hi guys , talking of turbo trainers. I recently had surgery on my spine [ a disc removed ] my surgeon says I can start cycling again. I don't particularly want to get on the roads yet, so thought i'd buy a magnetic trainer for the winter until i'm well and strong enough for the open roads. can anyone suggest a reasonable one for say under £50 .?. cheers T.
fastpedaller

Re: turbo trainers

Post by fastpedaller »

newbootclimbco wrote:hi guys , talking of turbo trainers. I recently had surgery on my spine [ a disc removed ] my surgeon says I can start cycling again. I don't particularly want to get on the roads yet, so thought i'd buy a magnetic trainer for the winter until i'm well and strong enough for the open roads. can anyone suggest a reasonable one for say under £50 .?. cheers T.

I bought one from Machine Mart about 3 years ago (do they still sell them?) I think most are the same from far east rebadged type, but at the time MM had the best deal (IIRC £53) - Fantastic trainer, I've found it really good, smooth, adjustable load via lever on bars, everything I'd want. I did (previously) consider the fluid ones, but saw reports that some experience fluid leaks, so on the basis that can't happen on magnetic, that's what I bought. Hope that helps.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

To be honest you should not experience any problems putting a carbon framed bike on a turbo trainer, other than possible damage caused by sweat of course. It is well documented that the stresses from riding on the road, ie sprinting for road signs etc will put more stress on a frame and any turbo set up will ever do.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

AlanW wrote:To be honest you should not experience any problems putting a carbon framed bike on a turbo trainer, other than possible damage caused by sweat of course. It is well documented that the stresses from riding on the road, ie sprinting for road signs etc will put more stress on a frame and any turbo set up will ever do.

Very different stresses. A Home trainer holds the rear axle rigid, any movement - even getting on and off the bike, will cause twisting in the rear stays- this is not the case out in the real world where the rear wheel is free to follow the rest of the frame.

That said it can't be a huge problem as all the pros use trainers for warming up/down and they are almost exclusively riding carbon!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ray

Post by Ray »

You could try doing a search, or asking a question, on http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk

There are a lot of fit, strong guys on there doing many hours per week training hard on their turbos, and I feel sure that many of them will be using CF frames. For example, it seems to be 'good practice' for serious time triallists to turbo-train on their low-profile race bikes, and these will be almost exclusively CF.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Webbo154

Post by Webbo154 »

Thank you all for your assistance I will search the time trial forum also as suggested. This was why I asked because if they are doing it granted on 10k plus bikes or are sponsored so repairs are no real issue, then why can't I on my bike? That said I love my bike and would not like to cause unnecessary damage. Cheers :D
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

foxyrider wrote:..any movement - even getting on and off the bike, will cause twisting in the rear stays- this is not the case out in the real world where the rear wheel is free to follow the rest of the frame.

If I was worried about possible damage being caused by getting on or off the bike while on a trainer, then I would probably sell the frame to be honest!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you are worried about your frame the Kinetic Rock and Roll looks an interesting turbo trainer option. Alternatively rollers would be more like normal in terms of forces acting on the bike.

The guys at GCN state specifically regarding carbon fibre bikes that "having spoken to a number of manufacturers, if you set up your turbo correctly" you won't damage your frame (starting at about 1min:10second) in their video "How to train Indoors"
[youtube]PXQOwxih_H8[/youtube]
Make of that what you will.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh right....................send me your CF bike and I will test on my turbo, 10% at 60 rpm for an hour standing and list what parts come away first.................... :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

RickH wrote:If you are worried about your frame the Kinetic Rock and Roll looks an interesting turbo trainer option. Alternatively rollers would be more like normal in terms of forces acting on the bike.

The guys at GCN state specifically regarding carbon fibre bikes that "having spoken to a number of manufacturers, if you set up your turbo correctly" you won't damage your frame (starting at about 1min:10second) in their video "How to train Indoors"
[youtube]PXQOwxih_H8[/youtube]
Make of that what you will.

Rick.

This is the trainer that l have, it's pretty awesome to be honest!