Are mudguards more expensive in winter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Manc33

Are mudguards more expensive in winter?

Post by Manc33 »

I am sure rear mudguards that used to be on sale at around £7-£8 four months ago are now on sale at £11-£12. :shock:

Do they put the prices up when we get say four days of rain in a row?

They don't miss a trick do they! :roll:

Supply and command. :P

EDIT: Owwwwww I was getting fronts mixed up with rears. :oops:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
siggler123

Re: Are mudguards more expensive in winter?

Post by siggler123 »

Well, just bought a pair of sks £35., you get what you pay for.!!!!
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I got a Crud Raceguard, which I thought will flop down but it coincidentally is set so it already is as far down as it can go. Maybe Crud designed it like that from all the years of them flopping.

Yes it has that same stupid compressing plastic joint that is found on every single rear MTB mudguard known to mankind, that will eventually mean the whole mudguard can swivel around.

Every time I put one of these on (and it was no different with the Crud Raceguard) I tighten it thinking "This isn't stopping" and they don't. Normally tightening anything you get to the end and think right 6Nm... not with these, you get about 4 turns at 2Nm, 2 turns at 3Nm, 1 turn at 4Nm and you just have to tighten it guessing that the plastic isn't going to snap while you're riding. What's annoying is this is one thing on your bike that has to be pretty tight, as tight as your seatpost clamp probably and they make it out of plastic. 30 years back they knew to make mudguards out of metal so I don't know what's changed in that time except... now we have such things as "planned obsolescence" which should be illegal but seemingly aren't.

It is almost easier to just get sprayed up your back.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

£35 !!!! Try £19.95 for the SKS(ebay).Managed to make my old set last 15 odd yrs,mind you,the rear is now in five bits all bolted together with plates;a bit like the apocryphal 50 yr old broom thats had 12 new heads and three new handles.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Went for a short blast with the Crud RaceGuard on and for the first time in years I didn't get one single drop of rain up my back or around the top of my legs. I always avoid going out if its raining but it was only ever because I had no mudguards on really. The rain falling on me pffffffffff who cares. Its the only time the air is fresh!

If this £12 one breaks I will buy the £23 one (Mudhugger). :lol:

That's normally how it goes, as we all know. :roll: