Harsh ride through pedals. What checks can I try?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RideToWorky

Harsh ride through pedals. What checks can I try?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hi all,

It's occurred to me, perhaps there may be something else as to why walking boots were so comfortable on my road bike

What checks can I run through to see if there's any issues?

Loose crank? The bike has sealed bottom bracket bearings.

Overtightened pedals?! If that's possible?!

Not sure if there is actually a problem. The pedal action seems as smooth as my hybrid, and the hybrid recently had a bearing service etc.

Hope you can advise

Cheers Martin
Valbrona

Re: Harsh ride through pedals. What checks can I try?

Post by Valbrona »

Good quality insoles that are suited to the shape of your feet.
I should coco.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Valbrona wrote:Good quality insoles that are suited to the shape of your feet.

Hi Valbrona,

That is an awesome idea!

Would it be best to get it from a proper cycle shop? Would cyclesurgery UK do it?

That's hopefully Might fix the problem 8)

Cheers
Martin
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

As I said in your last thread, Shimano shoes are known for being narrow. And 30 year old shoes could have become uncomfortable with age and damp, or were never that comfortable for other reasons.

You don't have to have special insoles for cycle shoes, tho Specialized do a range of 'Body Fit' shoes and insoles, where you can be measured at a Specialized store. That could be an expensive way of fixing your feet. I think wedges under the ball of the big toe are far more important than foot arch or heal adjustments, particularly with SPD pedals. Spesh does those as well (tho not tried them yet)

What about just trying a new pair of insoles (not to thick and squidgy), although your Shimano shoes may not have the room anyway.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

if the bike is riding harsh then it's either down to tyres or frame or both. riding style can come into it. if you crash through everything or try to ride light and float over rougher ground.

I wear the same shoes/boots on mtb or road. the only time my bikes feel harsh is when i have the tyres pumped too hard. though some particularly rough patches of road can rattle your fillings.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

Same again,
Many thanks for all the advice guys!

I'll investigate more over the weekend

Best wishes
Martin
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

Got this sorted in the end :D

Bike shop suggested I just try taking the "Superfeet" inserts out of my walking boots, and shove it into the bike shoes, and see if that works. try that 1st before spending any money on anything!

The change insoles:
Took the insoles out of both boots and shoes and compared. Crumbs, more or less the same width and length. (?!?!)
....the original shimano soles were pretty thin, probably trodden right down.....
... so I put the shimano in and then the superfeet.... Snug fit for my feet, but fitted!

The ride:
1. Much smoother! Not as smooth as the walking boots but hell, workable!
2. Clipped in and out a lot better, not floppy sandles kinda issue I was having!

What now?
When I get a second, I'm going to have a look in old knackered walking boots, so see if there are any superfeet in there to use in my old shimanos
if no soles, may even buys some! (£35, so not cheap but hey, fixes the issue!)

Cheers
Martin